Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MixPre6 question  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
MixPre6 question
« on: December 13, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
Hi
I've recently moved to recording 4 channels (Mics) on my MP6 and wanted to change to using the knobs to adjust gain and not fade
I also just wanted to record the 4 mic channels and not do a live mix track.
I thought I could do this by changing to the custom mode and changing input to basic
It gave me the gain control but it disarmed all the channels and only recorded the mix channels

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
Re: MixPre6 question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
You're on the right track & over the first hurdle!

To enable each individual channel, just press the corresponding control knob & the menu will pop up.
You need to tap "ARM", which will then illuminate in red.

To disable the L-R mix channels,  go to MENU-RECORD & select "L-R off".

The MPseries are great little boxes, but their control logic leaves something to be desired!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
Hi
I've recently moved to recording 4 channels (Mics) on my MP6 and wanted to change to using the knobs to adjust gain and not fade
I also just wanted to record the 4 mic channels and not do a live mix track.
I thought I could do this by changing to the custom mode and changing input to basic
It gave me the gain control but it disarmed all the channels and only recorded the mix channels

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Duncan

It sounds like you are perhaps looking at the poly file and thinking it is the mix. And in a way it is a mix, as it is all the mics combined, but you need to separate it using the SD tool (ASIO Driver for MixPre) or something like Soundforge. The reason I say this, is it is hard to not ARM the tracks when you want them armed. You would have noticed there was no lighting around the control knobs. If that was the case then probably you did not arm the tracks, but if you saw lights, the tracks were armed.

To use the channel knobs to adjust your ISO levels, you would select Custom mode and set Record to Advanced and leave Channel set to Basic. When Channel is set to Basic, ISO levels are post channel knob and when Record is set to Advanced, ISOs can be armed. To arm a track, just press in the knob and from the menu press the armed option which will turn red.

You will always see the mix on the screen whether you have it recording or not. The way to turn it off so it does not record is to go into the record menu and then Record L, R sub menu and then choose off.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
You're on the right track & over the first hurdle!

To enable each individual channel, just press the corresponding control knob & the menu will pop up.
You need to tap "ARM", which will then illuminate in red.

To disable the L-R mix channels,  go to MENU-RECORD & select "L-R off".

The MPseries are great little boxes, but their control logic leaves something to be desired!

Hi mjwin

Thanks for your quick reply
I'm familiar with the Arm setting but they were grey and would not respond to being set. I'd disabled the L&R channels when I had the knobs set to fader but all these settings were overridden when I changed the settings for the knobs to gain (or whatever the setting is called) in the custom menu

Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
custom mode, everything advanced except gain basic.  that enables the knobs for gain.  then turn off l/r mix as posted above.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com