Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 72262 times)

Offline hipporu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2022, 12:11:35 PM »
A few days ago I discovered that in the remix mode my mp3 does not work ms decode,
it just overwrites iso tracks 1 and 2 to channels L and R  as is.
firmware v8
Not that it was often needed, but nevertheless, when it was needed, it did not work.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2022, 01:47:55 AM »
A few days ago I discovered that in the remix mode my mp3 does not work ms decode,
it just overwrites iso tracks 1 and 2 to channels L and R  as is.
firmware v8
Not that it was often needed, but nevertheless, when it was needed, it did not work.

Did you report it to Sound Devices support? I have an open support ticket about Remix not working right when L/R mix tracks were not recorded (MixPre10ii), which they confirmed. Maybe if they are working on Remix, they might be interested.

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2022, 03:12:40 AM »
Did you report it to Sound Devices support? I have an open support ticket about Remix not working right when L/R mix tracks were not recorded (MixPre10ii), which they confirmed. Maybe if they are working on Remix, they might be interested.
Yes, I reported SD through their website.
They still have the night.
I will give the knowledge, when they answer.
I hope SD can fix it quickly.

upd
Answered
For your question on the MixPre-3 II, it is true that remixing the MS setting recorded to a channel is currently unavailable.
I can request this feature for a future firmware update for the MixPre II series.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:07:38 PM by hipporu »
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2022, 05:27:42 PM »
Funny, to read the manual and look at their video, you would think Remix works on anything easy-peasy. We are finding out differently. I never tried M-S remixing, but suggested to them they simply say Remix is only good when L-R Mix is recorded.

I don't know how difficult a fix this might be, or their priorities on software, but they did need a couple of months to fix the pre-roll time count offset.

Yes, I reported SD through their website.
They still have the night.
I will give the knowledge, when they answer.
I hope SD can fix it quickly.

upd
Answered
For your question on the MixPre-3 II, it is true that remixing the MS setting recorded to a channel is currently unavailable.
I can request this feature for a future firmware update for the MixPre II series.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #259 on: June 02, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
I recorded a file the other night at 32/48 and noticed a +682db momentary signal come through at the very beginning of the track, left side. Has anyone else had this happen? It was causing my waveform stats read at '+inf' and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out until I looked into the waveform at the top of the RX7 window. It's not a big deal right now as it could just cut it but if it happened during a set, that would be another story.

Here's a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/AzMjp0Z.png

Edit: once zoomed in, it actually looks like it occurs in both channels.

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/ZgfWT40.png

I've had that happen plenty of times but always at the very end of the file.  NEVER has happened to me at the beginning or middle.  Never researched why because it causes no harm. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
I recorded a file the other night at 32/48 and noticed a +682db momentary signal come through at the very beginning of the track, left side. Has anyone else had this happen? It was causing my waveform stats read at '+inf' and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out until I looked into the waveform at the top of the RX7 window. It's not a big deal right now as it could just cut it but if it happened during a set, that would be another story.

Here's a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/AzMjp0Z.png

Edit: once zoomed in, it actually looks like it occurs in both channels.

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/ZgfWT40.png

I've had that happen plenty of times but always at the very end of the file.  NEVER has happened to me at the beginning or middle.  Never researched why because it causes no harm.

I’m curious which version of the firmware is installed on the recorder? There was a known issue with a single sample glitch appearing at just the *beginning only* of a 32-bit float recording, which was fixed in a later version. I had it happen a few times on my unit, and the problem disappeared after updating. I haven’t personally experienced, or heard of before, glitching at other locations in an audio file.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2022, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm on v8 now but it's happened randomly over various firmware.

edit: in my case I'm not convinced it's not a glitch in iZotope.  If I cut off the spike at the end another appears.  I have to fade it out to be able to get an accurate gain reading.  I need to go back and find a file that does it and open it in wavelab to check.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 03:55:39 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2022, 10:36:09 PM »
Set gain to basic and everything else to advanced!

This in custom mode.  Disable l/r mix (settings > record > record l/r off).  I link channels so one knob adjust both (push knob for channel settings).  I record on a 32gb card at 32/48 often 4 channels and have plenty of space.  I'd say each file ends up about 1.5gb per hour when running 2 channels with no l/r, 3gb when running 4.  If running 96 then more than double that.
I forgot to disable L/R tracks and now my wave file are double the size and has both the L,R and channel one and two tracks combined in this wave file. is there a way to delete the L,R mix and just have the 2 channel recording or Im i screwed?

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2022, 11:29:14 PM »
Probably as many ways to do this as there are people - but is it 32 bit float? Then Wave Agent is out.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »
no 24 bit

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2022, 11:51:33 PM »
no 24 bit

Open it in audacity and delete one of the stereo pairs. It shouldn’t matter which one since you only had two channels to begin with.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2022, 02:25:32 AM »
What software are you using?  Easiest solution is to use wave agent to split them since they are 24bit files. When recording in 32 bit you will need another solution. You might be able to use your DAW depending on what you use.

Set gain to basic and everything else to advanced!

This in custom mode.  Disable l/r mix (settings > record > record l/r off).  I link channels so one knob adjust both (push knob for channel settings).  I record on a 32gb card at 32/48 often 4 channels and have plenty of space.  I'd say each file ends up about 1.5gb per hour when running 2 channels with no l/r, 3gb when running 4.  If running 96 then more than double that.
I forgot to disable L/R tracks and now my wave file are double the size and has both the L,R and channel one and two tracks combined in this wave file. is there a way to delete the L,R mix and just have the 2 channel recording or Im i screwed?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:23:32 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2022, 03:50:41 AM »
You can use the remix function of the recorder itself, you will get the file only LR channel.
Sometimes I use this when I need to quickly give a scratch track to a client.
While I am returning home, the recorder is re-recording two tracks and all I have to do is transfer them to the customer.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:16:00 AM by hipporu »

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »
no 24 bit

Open it in audacity and delete one of the stereo pairs. It shouldn’t matter which one since you only had two channels to begin with.
I tried this last night in Audacity and it only gave me the option of exporting it as a mono file when I deleted the left and right recording.  I usually use wavelab elements 9.5 for editing but it wouldn’t even open the recording originally.( did not recognize the format). Audacity would open it and so did sound studio but sound studio wouldn’t let me do much of anything besides giving me the option to combine it to a two channel stereo recording. I don’t have wave agent maybe I’ll try that.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Wave Agent is free, so may as well have it. WA identifies 1-2 as the L-R mix and 3-4 as your isos. Split your polywave into 4 separate files. I'd then use your favorite DAW program to recombine 3-4 into a stereo polywav (not sure, but think Wave Agent can do this, too, with Combine. Never tried!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com