Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Free or low-cost 64-bit editor for Windows?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Free or low-cost 64-bit editor for Windows?
« on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
Hi. I really really want to use two plug-ins that are available only in 64-bit VST3 format. I'm running Windows 10 (64-bit) on an i7 desktop computer.

I just downloaded and installed Audacity 3.0, but the installation went into "C:\Program Files (x86)" which implies to me that it's 32-bit; bzzzzzt (for my purposes).

What free or low-cost 64-bit alternatives do people here recommend? The editor needs to support multi-track editing (mainly, three active tracks) as well as stereo and mono wave audio files. I'd like it to be as simple as possible, but (as the saying goes) no simpler.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Free or low-cost 64-bit editor for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
There is ocenaudio: https://www.ocenaudio.com/download

I haven't tried it, but plan to test it soon.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
Maybe Reaper? $60, I think, for non-commercial use. It has a little bit of a learning curve from what I have read (and based on limited personal experience), but many people really love it.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »
There is ocenaudio: https://www.ocenaudio.com/download

I haven't tried it, but plan to test it soon.

Yep, 64 bit  :coolguy: Free, too.

VST plug-ins, real time effect monitoring.

It can handle huge .wav files, cool.

Thanks dyneq
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »
Thanks. I downloaded and installed "ocenaudio" and unfortunately (since today I have done this with three different programs) I can't remember exactly why it didn't work for my purposes--but it didn't. All I remember for sure is that it didn't load or identify the plug-ins. So I uninstalled it.

I went back to the documentation for the plug-ins and noticed a kind of off-hand, generic reference to "Cubase and Nuendo" so I looked up what those are (I knew both names from long, long ago), found their vendor's Web site, and installed a 30-day trial version of Cubase Elements. It sees the plug-ins, so I'll try that for a while, I guess. If it does what I need, the $100 that it costs will be OK.

I'm suppressing a lot of complaining that I could really do about how insanely complicated it was to download and install and get started, all the false "more is more" assumptions built into every aspect of Steinberg's Web site, the application installer, and the application itself (shudder). And I only installed the bare minimum necessary components of the app. But I think I got somewhere. Again, many thanks.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 08:34:24 PM »
Ocenaudio feature page indicates VST support.. but that doesn't necessarily means it supports VST3.  I'm not certain, but suspect that may be why it didn't work.

Cool find though as an alternative free editor option to Audacity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Reaper. It has a relatively long learning curve, but it's as powerful as some of the best professional DAWs, and very inexpensive.

And then there's Plogue Bidule. It's not an editor, but for audio manipulation (including ambisonics), there's nothing simpler and less expensive.

It's a block and wires app. Each plugin, file reader & writer, and recorder & player is a block. You connect them to each other with virtual wires.

You can learn to use it less than ten minutes. Recommended.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
I will also recommend Reaper, although it's not simplistic. In fact, it's "full featured" and does take some tutoring and reading to get up to speed. But it works for me, where in some cases, other programs have failed.

I don't use VSTs, so can't comment, but the description says it will do them. Reaper will also work fine even if you don't pay the ridiculously low price of $60 for home use. It just nags you and delays things for 10 seconds if you haven't paid, then works fine IIRC (I paid).

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »
Reaper!

Here's a post I made several years ago with some things specific to concert recording. The Classical Helper scripts linked there have been updated since then (thought I don't use them). SWS Extension is a must for quickly creating regions from markers and rendering groups of tracks. Also, try ReaEQ.

I agree with others that there's a bit of a learning curve, but there are piles of tutorial videos out there, and once you get comfortable with it, you can fly through projects. My concert editing workflow is very simple and fast:

iZotope RX:
- global level adjustment and noise reduction

Reaper
- drop markers and create splits / fades at track in/out points; name track in markers
- Using the SWS Extension Marker List, convert Markers to Regions, then delete regions you don't want to keep (optional)
- Re-number remaining Regions as a consecutive list (menu shortcut)
- Open Render menu (Ctrl+Shift+R). Enter file name wildcards $regionnumber $region. Set render parameters, and Render.

DONE.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com