Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Universal Shockmount"?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Universal Shockmount"?
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:52:48 PM »
Has anyone used these (www.shockmount.com)? They're about half the price of the next cheapest shockmounts I can find and the guy who makes them has nothing but positive feedback on ebay. I'm tempted to go with these...

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
Re:"Universal Shockmount"?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 01:29:00 AM »
I have not used the ones you mentioned, but...

For inexpensive, good shockmounts, you can also try tensimounts.

I have used them and I like them.  You must have (or buy) a mic holder for them to sit in.  The owner is a nice guy with good customer service as well.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 02:02:09 PM »
I have a pair of these Shock Mounts and they *rock*, go get yourself a pair, you'll love 'em.  I have a pair of the Tensimounts as well, and while they are good, I like the Shock Mounts better.  Only two elastic bands inside, but they are tight, thick & strong, and can handle any size condenser, even small ones.  And, you can mount a mic in these in a few seconds, whereas I find myself fumbling with all the elastic bands on the Tensimounts with the crisscrossing pattern (and occasionally snapping one or two).

They are a little bigger than the Tensimounts in overall size, but easier to use and more robust in my opinion.  I'm surprised nobody has heard of these, I've had mine since January (hey, I shoulda posted about these...oh well, I'm slack, what can I say).  I bet if more peeps on this board new about them they'd be buying them.  So there ya go  :)

Oh yeah, a bit of trivia, the guy who makes these is Gary Young, former drummer of Pavement.  Maybe I should tell him TS.com is coming, I'm sure he'd be very happy.

peace

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »
i'll be road-testing the Superlux mounts with my Oktavas this weekend. At $6 per mount they seem to be much less expensive than the other options, and a lot less bulk than the tensimounts.

http://www.superlux.us/

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 03:01:04 PM »
Yeah, I use those Superlux shockmounts ever since I got them with my mics and have found no reason really to upgrade because they appear to be doing the trick for me.   They aren't exactly low profile but they aren't that big either....smaller than most others.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:56:04 PM »
Think those Superlux's will hold C1000s? theyre pretty big (33.5 mm)?

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 08:42:02 PM »
if you have C1000s you don't need shockmounts. they have internal shockmounts, and the clips they come with do a good job dampening as well.
trust me, i ran them for hundreds of shows, 2+ years and never ever made a tape with stand noise in it.

to answer your question, no they will not. probably wouldn't even hold earthworks.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »
Wow those things are monsters....they probably wouldn't work with the Superlux shocks(at least the models I have...dunno if they make other sizes or not).   My mics are 20 mm diameter.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 10:26:20 PM »
yeah i wasnt planning on getting shock mounts after reading the below post about shocks for c1000s (i should be getting mine in a few days), but after looking at those (the universals) i figured they were pretty cheap and if people liked them that maybe id get a pair. In anycase, i was planning to test out the rig a bit and then decide if i wanted shockmounts.
thanks for the advice
peace
adam

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 11:46:37 AM »
I'd say the diameter of these Shock Mounts are about 4", but don't let the size of them fool you, I ran MK012's, 391's, and now C42's in them and they work great with (very) small condensers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com