Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 69292 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »
Can anyone tell me how these would show up on metal detector wands and walkthroughs?
Also interested about the same with mixpre
Cheers
Duncan

Tell 'em it a Rubik cube
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2022, 06:36:33 AM »
"It's my cigarette case.  Very small cigarettes are much better for my health."

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2022, 10:13:48 PM »
I just got mine today. Some thoughts: the battery indicator does not always show up. Not sure why this is. You can power it through the USB-C, and this did work plugging it into an AC adapter. I had the thing running on some Powerex fully charged AAs for a few hours (didn't time it but I was working for several hours, it was running at 48V phantom). So certainly you'd want a box of AAs in a festival setting or an external battery pack.
I was hoping it would be a better stealth unit. The heavy metal frame seems to be possibly removable, and would leave you with a VERY small and VERY light unit that would be pretty much the be all and end all of all in tiny phantom/pre/recorder units. I did try removing the two long mount screws to see if the metal part would slide off (it looks like it would and should), but it didn't, at least with an amount of force I'd be comfortable with on a brand new piece of gear. There may be more screws under the mounts for the belt loop attachments but again, not comfortable prying these off either. A search of Youtube and Google didn't turn anything up but hopefully someone will work out how we can set this metal frame aside for stealth missions.
I see in the review someone posted that the external bluetooth app would definitely be something you want to augment the tiny and bare bones display on this.

Edit: I got a little farther with disassembly without completely screwing it up, there are also 2 small screws under the battery, and the mic input screws need to be removed. At that point you need to slide the back cover past one of the battery compartment springs which isn't easy, then there also seems to be some stuff connected inside that back panel that will be connected by folded cable bundles. Perhaps the next step would be getting that back panel off, then there would be mount screws to ditch the metal part of the chassis. My dad used to hate it when I took apart his stereo, and I haven't learned too much since then.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:35:11 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
I just got mine today. Some thoughts: the battery indicator does not always show up. Not sure why this is. You can power it through the USB-C, and this did work plugging it into an AC adapter. I had the thing running on some Powerex fully charged AAs for a few hours (didn't time it but I was working for several hours, it was running at 48V phantom). So certainly you'd want a box of AAs in a festival setting or an external battery pack.
I was hoping it would be a better stealth unit. The heavy metal frame seems to be possibly removable, and would leave you with a VERY small and VERY light unit that would be pretty much the be all and end all of all in tiny phantom/pre/recorder units. I did try removing the two long mount screws to see if the metal part would slide off (it looks like it would and should), but it didn't, at least with an amount of force I'd be comfortable with on a brand new piece of gear. There may be more screws under the mounts for the belt loop attachments but again, not comfortable prying these off either. A search of Youtube and Google didn't turn anything up but hopefully someone will work out how we can set this metal frame aside for stealth missions.
I see in the review someone posted that the external bluetooth app would definitely be something you want to augment the tiny and bare bones display on this.
I have the Bluetooth adapter but find no need for it. I am very familiar with 32bit recording having had the F6 and mixpre6II for some years now. The difference in concept is slow to be understood, but recording with these decks is not at all like 24bit or any other deck. I am sure people will disagree or not understand, but that is okay, I record a fair amount and am happy with what i have discovered.
On the F3 in particular, part of the reason for the wave settings showing versus meters is that there is no need for meters and really no need for a screen audio-wise. The concept that is most misunderstood is that you do not set the gain. It is pre-set by the machine and therefore meters are not relevant. This is a true set and forget deck. You do set the faders, or the output, and that is how loud or low your volume will be when you apply to post. But it is just the output volume, the faders, not the gain. So you can change your recording in post if too low or too loud and there is no loss of quality, no difference because it is just output (volume). Input (gain) was set by the deck.
I have come to realize this deck in particular is not like anything else. It is a game changer in approach to recording and especially great where there are unknowns at the start of a show, because it does not matter.
So for the first time when I use this deck, I shut the lighting on the screen off, hit record and am done. The recordings are stellar in terms of the deck. It is still up to me for placement etc., but the deck is flawless and requires no adjusting. I found the bluetooth part unnecessary.
I will say this. If you do not do any post work on your recordings, if you just somehow listen without using a post application, then this is the wrong deck for you. Then you will need to figure out the faders and volume (not the gain as you have no ability to adjust), so you may as well use a different deck, the advantages of this deck are largely nullified.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:06 AM »

dallman,

Looking forward to checking out your F3 the next time that I see you!  Thanks for posting.

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »
Listening to my first pulls with the F3 from a festival from last weekend. A few thoughts:

-So far, I like what I hear in terms of sound. I've been running a Oade modified R44 in recent years, and by no means have I done any direct comparisons, but thus far I don't hear any thing that I don't like with the F3

-The bluetooth function using the phone is nice, but I don't like that if it gets disconnected it just cuts it off with (seemingly?) no way to reconnect. So if you walk too far away for whatever reason, just know that you won't be able to monitor things on your phone again without reconnecting on the device. Maybe no way around this, dunno.

-All of the recording was done at an outside festival, mics probably 80-100' back? Folk / Rock music, but the things basically peaked at around -12db, so didn't really get to run things especially hot. But nonetheless, happy with how things turned out.

-Have it rigged so I can clamp the device + a power source direct to the stand, and really loved not having my gear on the ground.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
It might be in here somewhere but does anyone know if the f3 has m/s decoding?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2022, 08:21:45 PM »
No M/S decoding and monitoring.  Dealbreaker for me, and a strange omission given the apparent target audience.  And not hard to do.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2022, 06:08:22 PM »
The Ron Popeil recorder, set it & forget it... 32 bit, auto levels, stereo with P48s.
I definitely see one in my bag this year.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

mcfoster

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:57 AM »
I had too many beers and ordered one off amazon with 70 bucks off from points..... Goddamnint. more stuff. be here in time for fool's paradise though. My thought was I could return it if I don't like it. :shrug:

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2022, 05:31:46 AM »
I knew nothing of 32-bit floating point before I learned of the F3. So basically you just plug in your mics and press record? And then in post what would you have to do? Adjust the volume, normalize, whatever you normally do when you're editing?  What kind of audio file does the F3 store? Is it a wave or something else? Do the F6 and the new mixpre's behave the same? The mixpre-3 and 6 ii both look like they have traditional gain knobs.

mcfoster

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »
Short answer, yes. Pull the overheated 32 bit file into audacity and normalize it. I have an F6 and like the set it and forget deal especially with mics near the stage.

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2022, 02:26:54 AM »
Yes that's very tempting. I usually mess with my levels during the first song, unless the band allows me to set up during sound check. When I'm not seated near my gear, it would be useful to just press record before they actually take the stage and then walk away.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2022, 06:45:24 AM »
I knew nothing of 32-bit floating point before I learned of the F3. So basically you just plug in your mics and press record? And then in post what would you have to do? Adjust the volume, normalize, whatever you normally do when you're editing?  What kind of audio file does the F3 store? Is it a wave or something else? Do the F6 and the new mixpre's behave the same? The mixpre-3 and 6 ii both look like they have traditional gain knobs.

Mix Pre-3 v2. is going to be more versatile, have gain structure to tweak and likely be worth every penny, but I like to carry light and lower investment.
In in NYC, I go to sketchy watering holes sometimes, walk a few blocks back to street parking, and don't want to feel like I have to protect a bank vault of gear in my bag.

I'd love to hear a 2 mic A-B of an F3 and a Mix Pre 3, just for comp.

Things occuring in "the digital realm" have artifacts and unique character.  ...But usually less so than an analog device
Still, those inputs to the F3 aren't digital, so...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »
I'd love to hear a 2 mic A-B of an F3 and a Mix Pre 3, just for comp.
130-140dB and hot-out mic, that would be interesting.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com