Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom F3

<< < (76/76)

voltronic:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on September 14, 2023, 03:12:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: jielkade on September 12, 2023, 03:25:27 AM ---I dream of a neutral preamp set with a pair of digital microphones with as little color as possible - Sonosax plus Neumann D? but that's off topic, sorry.
--- End quote ---

No analog preamp needed (or possible) with a digital microphone.  Conversion from analog to digital is happening inside the microphone prior to output.

--- End quote ---

I always wondered why AES42 never became widely used. Only a few mic and field recorders still have models that use it.

Gutbucket:

--- Quote from: voltronic on September 14, 2023, 06:57:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gutbucket on September 14, 2023, 03:08:12 PM ---Happy to help!

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on September 13, 2023, 12:56:33 PM ---..it can be hard to discern by listening if the noisefloor of the recording is being dominated by the noisefloor of the room (HVAC), the self-noise of the mics, or the noisefloor of the F3 input preamp stage.   But from experience, I expect them to range from highest to lowest level in that order.
--- End quote ---

There should be sufficient data below to figure out the comparative noise floors of each.  Specs as reported by the manufacturers:

Zoom's F3 EIN : -127 dBu or less (IHF-A) when waveform magnification is ×1024 with 150 Ω input (< not sure why the part I've bolded here is relevant)
Input impedance, MIC: 3 kΩ or more
Input impedance, LINE: 3 kΩ or more
Maximum input level,   MIC: +4 dBu
Maximum input level,   LINE: +24 dBu

DPA's MMA6000 EIN :
At 0 dB gain<3 µV (RMS A-weight)
At 37 dB gain<1,5 µV (RMS A-weight)

DPA's 4061 (legacy and CORE) :
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB at 1 kHz 6 mV/Pa; -44 dB re. 1 V/Pa
Equivalent noise level, A-weighted Typ. 26 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 28 dB(A))
Equivalent noise level, ITU-R BS.468-4 Typ. 38 dB (max. 40 dB)
Distortion, THD < 1% - Legacy 120 dB SPL RMS, 123 dB SPL peak
Distortion, THD < 1% - CORE 134 dB SPL RMS, 137 dB SPL peak
Dynamic range - Legacy Typ. 97 dB
Dynamic range - CORE Typ. 111 dB
Max. SPL, THD 10% 144 dB SPL peak

--- End quote ---

I think you forgot to include the EIN specs of the MMA6000.

--- End quote ---

It's there [I've now bolded it in the quote above], but is in µV rather than dBu.. and A-weighted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version