Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12v audio system -camper  (Read 2838 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
12v audio system -camper
« on: May 15, 2022, 12:52:04 PM »
Looking for amp ideas on upgrading the 12v audio system in my camper.

Prefer class D or T . Since it's a camper I don't want to spend a lot on the amp or expect audiophile grade but that would be nice hah.
To give an idea of price -- think blaupunkt 4 channel amp that is under $90 as an example.
I feel there is better out there in the 100ish range but what? 
I have a few ideas I'm working thru but tell me your opinion on an amp choice. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting tunnel visioned on this project so thought I'd ask.
 Speakers are rated at 55wrms, 150w peak.
Basic idea is phone/tablet/laptop front end > amp > speakers (no sub but not ruled out at this point either)

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: 12v audio system -camper
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 10:37:58 PM »
Great free advice and equipment fitting ideas here:
https://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx?vb=Y&g=300&sl=Y&lp=%2fg_300%2fAll-Car-Stereos.html&

If you can afford them, buy there, too, they have great customer service.

I usually get my size and fit ideas there, then shop like hell for last year's model that has features that I want, but little new stuff, which tends to get obsolete anyhow.

Blauplunkt, Alpine, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer  most are road worthy when sized for power and dash fit

Literally searching "Car Stereo" at Amazon.com will return a dozen decent $100 models, then pick what fits your preferences and party bus.

Good luck and enjoy the ride !
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »
crutchfield is a great resource and I do buy from them but it doesn't substitute real world listening experience.
I realize most if not all of us are audiophiles and no one probably is using a 100ish dollar amp in their cars, or we don't want to admit to running such a thing  :-X :yack:
I should have been more clear when I said looking for ideas, I meant real world listening experience ideas, thinking someone here would say yea I run "x" and it sounds decent and has been solid for the last "x" years. I'm asking for too much in that price range but wth I'm usually wrong.

I love my kenwood's, blaupunkt I'm not so sure of, they seem to be junk these days (reviews seem to reflect that) and definitely a shell of their former self.
But for a camper and the use it would get the blaupunkt might just be good enough; I don't want to spend the money on an amp from alpine/kenwood/sony etc etc. HU's yea if I decide to go that route I would get another kenwood.
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 03:35:06 PM »
I bought this little dinky thing as a placeholder in my TT setup to hold me down until a more refined amp finds its place. It's between my speakers and phono pre and I have been quite pleased with the results. I even use it to playback with my phone or recorder using the aux input. It's only 2x channel and the BT is reportedly garbage, but I do not use that function. It runs on DC so you can easily use a battery setup and it runs for a long time. I've only been supplying it with 12v DC for my bookshelf speakers, but 24v @ 8 ohm will supposedly spec at 50w per channel.

If you scroll down, there are other models with different chip sets, wattage ratings, channels and sub outs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R3Y5WXH
edit- the above link says the unit has BT, but actually does not.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:37:01 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 07:41:08 PM »
thank you audball  :cheers:
I'm not concerned with the BT at all.
I will add it to the list, seems like it could handle the job.
Worst case I'll have to get a buck boost to get more juice out of it.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 08:24:58 PM »
Sure thing. I'm pretty sure someone was talking about them on this board and I took a chance figuring what the hell. For being so cheap and tiny, it packs a bit of a punch. I'd imagine it could assimilate well into a camper situation. The durability is of course questionable, but it could probably be beefed up or waterproofed somewhat with a project box or something.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 10:12:44 AM »
I love my Alpine car amps.   Relatively cheap too.    Wouldn't recommend Amazon for one though - the one I bought and returned was missing the "birth" certificate stating actual rating, and had some sticker over the s/n.  Called Alpine and they were suspicious, wouldn't honor a warranty etc, so back it went.

Alpine MRV-300 4-channel amp
Alpine MRV-500 sub amp
retired

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 03:14:40 PM »
I love my Alpine car amps.   Relatively cheap too.    Wouldn't recommend Amazon for one though - the one I bought and returned was missing the "birth" certificate stating actual rating, and had some sticker over the s/n.  Called Alpine and they were suspicious, wouldn't honor a warranty etc, so back it went.

Alpine MRV-300 4-channel amp
Alpine MRV-500 sub amp
I don't blame you alpine is nice car audio but for a camper that can easily be broken into and only used for a season basically; it's too much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com