Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for replacements for CA 14 Cardioids  (Read 2055 times)

Offline crims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Looking for replacements for CA 14 Cardioids
« on: May 18, 2022, 03:25:29 PM »
My CA-14s have crapped out with static and dropouts so it's time to upgrade. I'll be using a Roland R-07 and CA Ugly box although can always add/replace the battery box if needed. I'm looking for something that has clip-ons preferably for collar/hat mounts so relatively small with short cables. Budget of $300-$1000 for the pair. Thanks and looking forward to summer concerts again.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Looking for replacements for CA 14 Cardioids
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »
AT-853s are pretty much an exact comparable for the CA-14s in terms of sound and (more or less) size, and have the advantage of a sturdier build and swappable caps.

That said, neutrino on this board does outstanding and affordable work repairing CA-14s with staticky cables, which is to say all CA-14s eventually. Drop him a line if you would prefer to have your CA-14s back in working order.

Offline crims

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »
I saw that I can get the CA-14s repaired. I just figured that now would be a good time to step up in quality to something new (to me).

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 07:58:34 PM »
I saw that I can get the CA-14s repaired. I just figured that now would be a good time to step up in quality to something new (to me).

The AT 853s are more a lateral move, so I'll leave it to others to suggest upgrades.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 10:26:44 PM »
DPA 4061s seem to be the next logical upgrade point.

Never mind, I see that you said cardiod.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 02:45:23 PM »
IMHO, your surest bet to have those mics ready for summer (just around the corner) is ask Neutrino to repair those CA14s for $60 and/or order a set of low sensitivity AT 853, aka SP-CMC-4U mics (https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-4U/) for $250-280. Best you ask Neutrino for his current turnaround time.  SP is usually pretty fast and their communication is great.  FWIW, I find the CA-14s lighter and the clips more reliable, but YMMV.  Those CA14s punch well above their weight and working used sets are bound to get rarer and more in demand over time, given that Chris appears to be slowly phasing out Church Audio (just my surmise).  I concur with nulldogmas that getting AT853s would be a lateral move.  My impression--and it is just that--is that you would have pay a lot more to get a significant quality improvement over CA-14s and SP-CMC-4Us in microphones of that size.  If I am wrong, I am all ears and happy to learn of other options from the experts on this board. 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »
My $.02 would be to see if neutrino can turn around a pair for this summer then save for a significant upgrade for next summer when you can pass the current mics to someone else.  Use the next year to listen to other types of mics for the type of shows you record to see what you like. 

Offline crims

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 11:05:35 PM »
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions, I've reached out to Neutrino about getting them repaired. I'm relatively a newby when it comes to recordings and am jealous of the great recordings out there. I'd like to add mine to the mix in the future if I can figure out how to be more consistent with my gear, and the bane of my existence, dead batteries.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 11:40:41 PM »
If you do rechargeables, but top of the line and charge and check religiously, if using disposable buy quality i.e. energizer lithium or duracell or duracell procells and check before and after use.  Know how long they are supposed to last and go 50% to 75% then use in remote controllers, toys, etc.  Batteries cost less than tickets.

Offline crims

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 12:32:18 AM »
If you do rechargeables, but top of the line and charge and check religiously, if using disposable buy quality i.e. energizer lithium or duracell or duracell procells and check before and after use.  Know how long they are supposed to last and go 50% to 75% then use in remote controllers, toys, etc.  Batteries cost less than tickets.

Believe me, you'd think I would be able to figure it out a simple battery but I've messed up an insane percentage of concerts, both with rechargables and "new" batteries only for them to die half way through. I think my R-09-HR sucked them dry in a crazy rate so it's been retired for a new R-07 that theoretically doesn't eat batteries as fast. We'll see. I'll order some Duracell NiMH and hope they do the trick.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 01:25:44 AM »

Believe me, you'd think I would be able to figure it out a simple battery but I've messed up an insane percentage of concerts, both with rechargables and "new" batteries only for them to die half way through. I think my R-09-HR sucked them dry in a crazy rate so it's been retired for a new R-07 that theoretically doesn't eat batteries as fast. We'll see. I'll order some Duracell NiMH and hope they do the trick.

Seek out and buy a good used Sony PCM-M10.  Battery life in one of those cannot be beat. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:43:38 AM by unidentified »

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 08:27:10 AM »
Seek out and buy a good used Sony PCM-10.  Battery life in one of those cannot be beat.

Seconded, assuming you mean PCM-M10 here. (Though the A10 has great battery life as well.) I've had no trouble running an M10 for ~20 hours.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 10:42:57 AM »
Oops - forgot that second "M" in PCM-M10.  Absolutely-thanks for the clarification!  And, while I have never used an A10, I like the fact that the M10 uses AA batteries that can quickly replaced with fresh batteries in a pinch (unlike the A-10 with its built-in rechargeable battery).   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:49:03 AM by unidentified »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com