Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Great starter stealth cards  (Read 2318 times)

Offline LastJoyRide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ISO Great starter stealth cards
« on: May 18, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »
Looking for some recs on a pair of cards for stealthing.

What I'm running now:

Have a pair of SP-CMC-2 (link below) that work good but I know there could be better. I have a pair of CA-14 omnis that sound great. I'd like to get his cards but he doesn't have any in stock and I'd like to get some ordered before some gigs in mid-June.

The primary rig I"m running those mics through is: mics > CA Ugly > PCM-A10.

What's a decent pair of mics that should be in stock and provide an upgrade for around $150-300.

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-CMC-2/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Google%20Promotions%20Feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=66140&gclid=Cj0KCQjwspKUBhCvARIsAB2IYuuVb7KAc--FPPeOh-veA5_sY1kasZTZQhTzuw0t6CGLDLGibdAKawkaAuDNEALw_wcB

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ISO Great starter stealth cards
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:48:17 AM »
The ones you have now (AT831)SP CMC 2 are really good and i'd say equivalent to others like CA-11.CA-14 , AT853,AT943 .. those are the other ones SP sells named SP CMC 4 (AT853) and SP CMC 8 (AT943).

I don't see there being any improvements there.

Better to improve your post processing techniques and recording location.

Got any samples of your recordings your unhappy with?

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 10:35:43 AM »
The ones you have now (AT831)SP CMC 2 are really good and i'd say equivalent to others like CA-11.CA-14 , AT853,AT943 .. those are the other ones SP sells named SP CMC 4 (AT853) and SP CMC 8 (AT943).

+1
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline LastJoyRide

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 08:24:24 PM »

Not that I'm "unhappy" with any of my recordings. I just know my mics weren't too expensive ($150, I think) and thought some more expensive mics would mean better quality.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 08:45:00 PM »

Not that I'm "unhappy" with any of my recordings. I just know my mics weren't too expensive ($150, I think) and thought some more expensive mics would mean better quality.

More expensive mics will result in better quality but the cost is quite a bit more for Schoeps, Neumanns, DPA's Microtech Gefells etc.  These are not generally considered starter mics.  Unless you are prepared to spend that level of money the previous suggestion applies.  I know a couple of tapers who have made the Schoeps upgrade recently and have been very happy but they also had the money available to buy what they wanted.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »
This situation is a classic example of the law of diminishing returns.

To get better quality than what you have now you would likely need to make at least a $500 or more jump (mini DPA and the like) and not realize much better results if your current technique is solid.

To get more than the mid level result you need to make an even larger jump to $1-2k or more to an active setup (like Schoeps, MBHO, Neumann) to get an improvement.

I would concentrate on technique (mic placement and most importantly location) with your current setup and save till you get what you really want.

If you really want to try different stuff at an entry level price maybe think about the AT853 mics with interchangeable capsules. That allows for some experimentation with different polar patterns without having to buy separate mics. Used pairs of hypercardioid and omni capsules for these come up fairly cheap pretty often.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline pillowman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »
I would throw in the LINE AUDIO mics CM3 and/or CM4.
to my ears those are an audible upgarde on what you currently using and they will not break the bank.
ok on the other hand they are much bigger
and they need 48V power. I am running those CM3's with a Denecke PS-2 which work nice but I pray
to find a much smaller power supply one day  :smash:
pillowman

RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »
to my ears those are an audible upgarde on what you currently using and they will not break the bank.
and they need 48V power. I am running those CM3's with a Denecke PS-2 which work nice but I pray
pillowman

Are you getting that through walkthroughs/evolv?  At this point that would need to be a requirement of stealth mics IMHO.   

Offline pillowman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 03:10:57 AM »
pillowman

Are you getting that through walkthroughs/evolv?  At this point that would need to be a requirement of stealth mics IMHO.

currently no walkthroughs here in europe - at least at the venues I attended  :shrug:

Offline LastJoyRide

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 06:19:26 PM »
Daspy & Goodcooker - thanks for the feedback! I was afraid the jump would be more than my budget allowed right now. I guess it's on to saving and practice.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 07:31:15 PM »
Daspy & Goodcooker - thanks for the feedback! I was afraid the jump would be more than my budget allowed right now. I guess it's on to saving and practice.

Perfecting your craft and then when you upgrade, do it once.    You are already doing the right things.  If you were running internals I would be the first to say get mics because there is a big improvement in sound and you would be learning proper techniques.

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
I went through a similar exercise a few months ago, looking to upgrade from the SP-CMC-4Us (great mics!) and saw that there's not a whole lot in between that and say Schoeps/Nuemann/etc like setups. I'm insanely happy with my Schoeps MK4s into a Babynbox and I have no issues using that in stealth situations. It is pricey but if you're planning on staying in the hobby long term "buy once cry once" applies here :)
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com