Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Mid-range microphone recommendations.

(1/4) > >>

entertainment:
I have been recording shows using the built-in microphones on my Tascam DR-07 MKII.
I don't go to shows that often but I have come to want to invest in a better microphone.
Usually I record loud rock shows in small to medium sized venues.

Since I don't go that often I don't think pro gear like the SP-CMC-XX, DPA6XXX, etc. are quite worth my while.
Audio Technica AT9901 and Sony ECM-719 are often recommended as lower end microphones but I feel like they are not much improvement from the built-in microphones, though I have no experience with them.
Another mic I've been recommended is the CX-500 by JTS which seems like a good bet apart from being an omnidirectional mic.
I'm wondering if someone has an opinion on these or could point me in the right direction for an alternative recommendation.
Additionally, it is quite a hassle and expensive to get a hold of equipment from Europe and the US (like Church Audio) due to my location so it would be appreciated if only microphones from Japanese makers like Audio Technica are recommended.
I am familiar with Sound Professionals' SP-CMC line that modifies Audio Technica models but again they are based in the US and thus not really a good option.

Any advice is appreciated. First time poster here, so be gentle...

Elana:
I wouldn't use any of the AT mics in the SP-CMC line at loud shows. You need mics that can handle a higher spl or you will get distortion.

What do you consider mid range? Are you looking for stealth or open taping?

entertainment:

--- Quote from: Elana on May 27, 2022, 03:18:27 AM ---I wouldn't use any of the AT mics in the SP-CMC line at loud shows. You need mics that can handle a higher spl or you will get distortion.

What do you consider mid range? Are you looking for stealth or open taping?

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the response!

Yes the SP-CMC versions of the AT microphones have a sensitivity modification that make them ideal for loud shows. Without the modification they don't seem to be a good option.

Specwise I would say mid-range is something that is not professional level but is a clear improvement over the built-in mic. Pricewise a ballpark figure would be around $100.

The shows I go to are friendly to tapers but I was thinking something more in line with a stealth setup as it is tiresome to hold the recorder in my hand pointed at the band for the entire show and I don't really want to cause a nuisance to other patrons with the equipment.

Gutbucket:
A few general thoughts that may help-

Within the limits of the budget, its much less about how often I record than it is about determining the recording quality that will be satisfactory for me.  Personally, if not good enough its not worth making the effort.

Determine what will work best for your type of music, venues, your location in them, and recording techniques.  If jazz / classical / seated venue stuff with respectful audiences, omnis may be the best choice, either worn or placed on-stage- not only are they often the appropriate choice for those situations, they tend to have a higher return on investment with regards to sound quality verses cost.  They can also work really well for "stack taping" in less than ideal rooms (standing close to a PA speaker or stage fill) or standing right at the stage lip for instrumental and non-PA amplified stuff.

If dealing with louder or less engaged standing audiences, less ideal locations in the venue, and not so great sounding rooms, directional mics may be the better choice, but be prepared to pay more for a similar sound quality to you would get from omnis, properly used.

Any microphones used will need the right combination of sensitivity and max SPL capability for the situations in which you expect to record.

Lots of good microphones out of Japan.. Audio Technical is likely your best option  and commonly used by tapers, Sanken is the second brand that comes to mind, but there are numerous others too.   For small directional microphones, those intended for hanging in front of church choirs are often appropriate.

entertainment:
What I meant is that because I do not record often I will be satisfied with something that is less than professional quality (i.e. the best possible quality) as long as it is better than the type of recording my current microphone will produce.

Initially I was concerned about capturing the guy who claps too much, the guy fumbling a plastic bag, the guy shuffling through to the front, the guy coughing, the guy who constantly shouts, the guy with the noisy clothes, etc. since omnis would pick that up better than directional mics, but after reading your reply and searching a little bit more about omnis myself I've come to realize that using them isn't such a detriment to the recording at all.  As for the location and audience, it is often basement level, with seating, and the audiences are fairly docile.

I was not familiar with Sanken so I appreciate you mentioning them so I could check out their line. One of the hurdles that warranted me making this thread is that I don't have a wide knowledge of the variety of microphone brands that are worth checking out like a veteran does, and for my purpose people are quick to recommend Church, DPA and Sound Professionals so searching is quite troublesome.

Thanks for the advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version