Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Next logical upgrade  (Read 2704 times)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Next logical upgrade
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:42:08 AM »
I am currently running AKG C1000s(phantom)>Samson Mixpad 4>Sony MZ-N505 MD.

I am wondering what would be the most logical upgrade for me. (What would improve the quality of my tapes the most.) I am thinking I will do the JB3 upgrade, but if there are other options throw them out there. I am poor, so suggestions under $275 please.

Thanks,
Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Next logical upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »
JB3, get rid of that MD as soon as humanly possible...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:54:16 AM »
Yea....definatly go the JB3 route first.  Next thing I'd probably do is a new pre....maybe a digimod ua-5.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

marc0789

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:05:28 PM »
yep, ya gotta go bit perfect before you fool with mics/pre...you want to really hear what your setup sounds like before you make more changes.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 01:04:40 PM »
Yea....definatly go the JB3 route first.  Next thing I'd probably do is a new pre....maybe a digimod ua-5.

The digimod UA5 is great, I use the ADK A51 LEs>UA5>JB3.

A friend uses Studio Project C4>PS2>AD20>JB3.

My rig ran me about $100 total, his ran about $800.  That's after buying cables, stand, t-bar, clamp, etc...

But yeah, go with a Nomad 3 first, then later maybe think about a UA5 or PS2>AD20 combo.

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 02:23:20 PM »
Definitely get rid of the MD first...either JB3 or DAT.

After that I'd go to a digimod UA5, or even a Denecke AD20 (which in my opinion sounds great with c1000s) would be a major upgrade over the Samson. One plus to both of these units (AD20 & UA5) is they have optical outs, which work perfectly with a JB3.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 02:30:12 PM »
Also, if you wanna check out how good the c1000>AD20 combo really is, try these out:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=3345
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=2451

These were made with my first rig, and they're still tapes I enjoy immensely.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »
Just upgraded to JB3. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:29:57 PM »
I say sell the mics, throw that $275 on top and pick up better mics used.........if you want to change your sound, or make it better, put it into the mics...and yea..ditch the MD ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com