Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann hyper configs??  (Read 6555 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Neumann hyper configs??
« on: November 24, 2002, 05:00:16 PM »
Just wondering what configurations you guys like to use with your ak50 caps?

Thanks!

Tim

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Neumann hyper configs??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 01:26:44 PM »
tim, even though you know i'm a schoeps guy, i am sure you won't mind if i throw in my two cents.   ;)

the neumanns are bright mics....albeit not as bright as the schoeps...and because of that i would run them din (90 degrees/17cm).  because of the spacing, the interchannel delay seems to sweeten the sound and tame the high end a bit.  i think it makes your recordings sound more full, more natural sounding if you will, with a lot of depth.  

i tried out a lot of different configs with my mk41's and this was by far the best sounding config.  my tube tapes with the 41's run din have been the best tapes i have ever made.  i will definitely never go back!!

let us know how it turns out,
dave

ps i will be getting some of my tapes out to people here on the board at nye so you guys can hear the tubes (with me at the helm).   :P
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 02:44:13 PM »
we just point staight at the stacks.  i think the 140s are harder to pull tape when you are back a ways, and tend to get muddy.  the 50s clean up the mud, highs and mids are crystal, lose a little bass, but nothing you cant boost a bit.  the 50s recreate the the show nicely from a distance.    you want to hear the trey tapes we made at the Greek LA, or san diego, 150s>V2>AD1000?  nice.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 04:41:54 PM »
Thanks Dave. DIN sounds interesting. I know when I ran that with my bluelines once I decided it was the only way to fly.

Ya'll are gonna laugh at me for this but is there a way to run DIN with any of the neumann bars, or has someone devised a system? I only run ak50->lc3 because, well, it's freaking easy  8)  I like taping to be easy, everything else is hard so I figure that this should be easy.

Thanks for the advice. Friendly... Neuman->V2 is killer, I am really digging your V3 Rw2c tapes with the neumann's. Would it be total overkill to run neumann->V3->Mini-Me... to get that suped up Grace pre sound and the MMe converter??

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 04:52:06 PM »
Mike always runs his xy from no matter what distance really. When I ran my u89s on the hyper setting I ran them DIN. I think Mike's 150 tapes sound great!!
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 08:00:03 PM »
that would probably be the perfect combo, but as for now, i am liking the 1 box solution in the V3.  how much better can it get?  my buddies booried the V3 and are doing some 24 bit stuff this week, see how that goes.  i am completely satisfied with 16/44.1 though.  im a simple person.

Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 10:12:19 PM »
Just got out one of Mikes tapes... strapped on the phones and I like it.

I think I prefer the m148 with 50's and a V2 with the 40's...

thanks for the help fellas...

Tim

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2002, 04:52:31 PM »
Tim--

I know you explained by individual mail to me but I thought it may arouse some discussion from others if you described why you liked the v2 better with the 140s. I have used the oade with wondeful results and couldn t understand yer statement. But listened at home to the 2 tapes I made with a v2, both 140 and mod sbm-1. There is a tightness that is brought in or pulled together which seems to make the bass less loose. Which for me is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Anyways, explain what brings you to your conclusion, and hopefully it will stir some conversation.

T-rey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Tim

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2002, 11:13:19 PM »
Well I'm glad you heard something you liked, maybe I'm not crazy after all :-)

Here's the text of my email to Trey
"I really like the sound of the 40 caps. The V2 seems to allow them to really open up to me. Nice extension into the highs and lows and bringing out that great neumann sound. I have a few SCI shows with this combo and a few other miscellaneous tapes... no panic, no phish. I just really like the sound of the 40 caps and the V2 seems to accentuate this sound without actually altering it.

I've got a bunch of bonaroo tapes that I believe you did and they are all 40->148. I've been listening to a ton of those lately and really digging them. One set though is 40->v2.. Soulive perhaps? That tape really stuck out to me because of how different it sounds than the others. It just kind of hit me in a different way than the other tapes. Part of that may be that it is jazzier music... same with the SCI tapes, the music just has more air or room in it.

Before I would run out and buy a v2 though I'd need to listen to it more of a rock-type setting. Right now SCI is as close to rock as I've got with that combo and they just don't have neough balls to convince me.

I think the 50's sound much better with a 148. I've got quite a few 150->v2 tapes and they're alright but the 50->148 tapes I've heard are excellent. That low-mid roll of with the 50's needs to be beefed up by a 148, I bet a psps2 would do a nice job as well."

Tim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com