Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Decent tiny laptop for recording?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Decent tiny laptop for recording?
« on: August 25, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Picturebook-PCG-C1X-40GB-128mb_W0QQitemZ140022552885QQihZ004QQcategoryZ140084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking I might jump on this or a picturebook like it. Are these good for recording? What's the battery life like, and can you easily rig up external battery packs?

I want to get a 24/96 rig rolling too in addition to my 16bit ACM 660.

I was thinking either the wmod 410 or Presonus Firebox into this little sony picturebook would be pretty compact and would sound NICE.. any thoughts?

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: Decent tiny laptop for recording?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:28 AM »
nice find, it's a great laptop.
either the vx pocket for 24/28 or the fwire 440 for 24/96

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:26 PM »
if you're getting the laptop primarily for concert recording, it's also worth checking out windows mobile pdas.  I'm currently running a dell axim x51v (under $400 new) a core sound pdaudio card that accepts coax and optical spdif in(bought used for $170), live2496 software ($50) and a pair of 4gb sd cards ($50 each after rebates).  The 2 x 4gb cards  allow me to record a typical 2 set show at 24/96 and record the opening act at 24/48 without issue (I'm feeding the dell a spdif signal from my t+mod ua5).  Saving directly to flac at 16/44.1 gets me MANY hours (over 8?) per card . . .

Internal pda batteries run fine for an entire set and the external power supply I hacked together for my jb3 plugged directly into my dell's external power adaptor :)

the axim draws less power than the jb3, resulting in around 6 hours of runtime for both the ua5 and axim from a single walmart style dvd battery . . . (and the axim's a VERY nice pda taboot)

FWIW . .. .

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »
Hmmm, good point. Smaller also, however I've heard that the pdaudio system wasn't very reliable, especially at 24/96... you seem to be running okay with it, though?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
Hmmm, good point. Smaller also, however I've heard that the pdaudio system wasn't very reliable, especially at 24/96... you seem to be running okay with it, though?

berg...if you want..i can ship you my pdaudio rig and let you try it out....if you like it...we can work out something...if not..ship it back no questions asked.  I have it 4 sale in the yard sale... do you already have some cf and/or sd cards??
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:44:55 PM »
This computer could be pretty slow for recording.  A 266mhz machine with 128mb RAM?  Not to mention the fact that Intel does not make the Crusoe chip.  If it's actually a Crusoe 266 chip that would mean this laptop isn't suited for much more than being a doorstop (to calculate Crusoe processor speed relative to Intel, you basically divide it in half and add a little - a 933 Crusoe is approx a 500mhz Pentium, etc)

It's got the bling factor that all Sony PBs have, but it's something you'll probably want to replace after a little while because it's not exactly a speed demon...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:09:36 PM »

So far, no problems whatsoever -- pdaudio reports system utilization and I've never seen my system utilization exceed 5% while recording at 24/96.  I've heard that the pda problems you referenced stemmed from a) the slower processors used by older pdas (the x51v has a 624mhz processor) and b) the slower memory (external hard drives, etc.) needed prior to the advent of the affordable and FAST 4gb sd cards I purchased.

Further, while I was initially concerned that the x51v might be fragile, I've subsequently learned that it's designed to withstand 14' drops onto a concrete floor without damage.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »
I've got a PII 266mhz/128MB Sony Viao that I may be interested in selling.  it is about 10" x 10" X 1/2".  PM me if you want more details.  It has onboard firewire which is nice.  It is missing the external cdrom (~$40 on ebay) and you would need to pick up the driver cd's from Sony ($?).  It is in decent shape and never any problems.  I would sell cheaper than this guys BIN for sure.  I have recorded with it and I have done webcasting with it.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com