Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report  (Read 5630 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 11:34:05 AM »
Why do you think electrolytics are suspect?  I use them all the time and find them 100% reliable.  Of course, I am using blackgates, jensen 4-poles, and panasonic fc series so I am spending a lot of money on them too, but the improvement in sound quality is far from subtle.

I am saying that electrolytics are suspect *if they are not polarized* with a positive voltage.

A "good" scenario would be a blocking cap with a voltage of +48VDC (phantom power)  +/- 0.1VAC (mic signal).

A "bad" scenario would be a blocking cap with just an AC mic signal on it (eg., mic or line, but without phantom power).  In this case the voltage would fluctuate from a small positive to a small negative value.

Since electrolytics only "work" with positive voltage across them, I would be worried.  But to be honest, I don't know exactly what the effect of putting a negative voltage is.  Ideas welcome on this.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Poorly done modifications to R4... progress report
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »
I see and understand now.  Mine are always used in polarized situations, so I misunderstood.  Do you have a picture of the internals by any chance?  I would like to see inside if I could and possibly make some suggestions.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com