Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping a Bass recital?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
Taping a Bass recital?
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »
This would take place in a 5-600 capacity auditorium.

The fact that its mostly bass (stand-up & electric) makes me nervous about running split omni's up front, especially with the C4's. Running with roll-off seems kind of faux-pax for a bass recital.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this before, I've seen other kinds of student orchestral recitals taped but couldnt find any experiences with one for a bass player. See my sig for my gear options, I also have access to a J-Disc.
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Taping a Bass recital?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
Is this as Duquesene? If so, just break into the studio and grab some nice compressors and mics from there.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »
Yes it is.

I wouldnt have to break-in but thanks for getting me black-flagged  :P
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
Whatever you puss. But I am serious about using compression if you are going to go a close mic. Make sure it's something transparent or warm (LA2A, 1176 etc.).

If you're just going to do an ambient tape I'd go stagelip. IMO the confuguratiuon shoudn't have as much effect on the sound of the bass as would the proximity.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
You cant get up real close?? Best results ive gotten have been with my Secret weapon Bass micmounted  3-5 inches from the center of the bridge. This gives a great blend of fingers, body, and string sounds...

that is a perfect distance imho..if you get closer than that youll get a real good "BASS" sound, but articulation will start sucking, and the bass will start to sound bloated. If you cant go close, use omnis on the jdisc...omnis have the best bass response, so they are a natural choice... Compression imo is a no-no in this sort of solo context. itll be plenty punchy without compression, not to mention, you want to preserve that dynamic range, not crush it. You can use a mild ratio in post to control things if you feel they are out of hand.

teddy

Offline Geoff G

• Taperssection Regular
  • MMMmm...pretty colors. Pass the tea please.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:53:10 AM »
Just make sure to put the mic far enough from the head so it doesn't get bumped.

(MK8/MK41/MK4V/MK2 -> KC5/CMC6) or (Neumann U89's)  -> AM Sorcerer -> 2 x Sonosax SX-M2 -> AM Sorcerer -> Mytek 192 -> 744t

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »
thanks! ill talk to my friend as to what he wants since its his recital.
-Stigs

Team Pittsburgh

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
since he will also be playing pieces on an electric, as well as some bass/piano pieces ill probably stay off the stage and setup lip or back a couple rows.

was thinking either j-disc or split omni's. this is mostly for his sentimental purposes but i want to give him a really good sounding tape. i jumped at the chance to record something like this.
-Stigs

Team Pittsburgh

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com