Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stupid Question (That I suspect that I know the answers to). Edirol R1 Content.  (Read 1076 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
I have been asked to tape an artist tomorrow night at a venue that I tape at reasonably frequently.

I usually run CA Cards > ST9000 (Gain set at +10) >iRiver (Gain Set at +9 to +15 depending on circumstances) and have got some pretty good pulls. (I usually get access to sounchecks when I am recording so I get a decent  idea where I need to be).

Even for the quietest accoustic shows (amplified) I have found that the +30 setting has been just a little too much, even after dropping the levels totally on the iRiver.

The main problem is that my iRiver is currently standing in for a friends R09 (that went bang) at a rather large and notoriously "unfriendly" act tonight and tomorrow.

Not in itself a problem as I have an R1 available. Unfortunately  I haven't really used this unit in the field at all, due to various commitments and while I have performed enough "home" tests to be comfortable with it's operation,  in the field is a different matter.

Add to this that I won't be able to make the soundcheck and my manual is currently about 200 miles away and I am feeling  a little nervous about the whole thing.

So my main question is, how to run it.

1) Run +10 and crank up my input volume on the R1 until I am happy with my levels.

2) Chance the +30 and turn input right down and pray for the best.

(Both of these are CA Cards > ST9000 > R1 Line In)

3) Mics > R1 (Mic In) and set my levels that way.

Follow Up Questions

Is the R1 "Input Level" actual "gain"?

If I went Mic In how is the Noise Level on the R1?

The show in question will be one guy with an acoustic guitar (amp'ed) but from prevoius experience it does get a little loud at times. (I clipped very slightly last time I taped him, but not enough for it to be too noticable)

Sorry for the rambling nature, but this was thrown at me very late.

Also apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't seem to fit it in Recording Gear or Pre/Ad's.

Thanks for anything you can offer me.

Dave.

(edited to attempt to make it make sense.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:06:20 PM by DaveG73 »
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com