Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Turntable Upgrade  (Read 3740 times)

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • youtube.com/thedailyguru
    • My Daily Music Blog
TSKB: Turntable Upgrade
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »
OK, the discussion has been had many times....I am finally ready to retire the record player I've been using for the better part of 20 years....it's a well traveled, model numberless Sony...but worked like a gem until recently.

I am wondering what you guys use since, I haven't bought one since I was...well....younger...

Anyway, insofar as budget is concerned, I'd like to keep the player & cartridge purchase under $400...

The record player is my PRIMARY playback device...I've got all the amps, etc already...just looking to get a new player for all of my delicious vinyl.   ;D

"Intellectual pursuits for a lot of people are a luxury they can't afford, hence the popularity of mediocre everything." -Henry Rollins

"The strong man who is guilty saves himself at the expense of the innocent who is weak." -Rosseau

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: TSKB: Turntable Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »
Rega P1...comes preloaded with a cart, and you can get the glass platter upgrade as well and likely keep the entire purchase under $400...extremely happy with the player

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
Rega P1...comes preloaded with a cart, and you can get the glass platter upgrade as well and likely keep the entire purchase under $400...extremely happy with the player

yeah...that's what I've been eyeing mostly...just wondering if anyone uses other stuff....any good places online to buy the P1?
"Intellectual pursuits for a lot of people are a luxury they can't afford, hence the popularity of mediocre everything." -Henry Rollins

"The strong man who is guilty saves himself at the expense of the innocent who is weak." -Rosseau

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
I'm with Nick.  Check out the P1.  At that price its the only table I'd look at.  Contact Chris Sheperd  over at www.eugenehifi.com .  He's a regular on the board.  Great to deal with in every way.

Shane

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
I am also considering the Technics 1200

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
Contact Chris Sheperd  over at www.eugenehifi.com .  He's a regular on the board.  Great to deal with in every way.

what is his screenname here?

cshepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
Thanks, guys.  PM coming, fishmansvacuum.

Chris 

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
how about some +t's for chris!!!!  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »
I also bought a Rega P1 from Chris (about 8 months ago) and am really happy with it.  Def. recommended.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
will echo the comments on chris..I bought my tt, platter upgrade and phono pre from him...very happy with the experience

cshepherd

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »
how about some +t's for chris!!!!  ed

It seems like yesterday when Ed had my T count down to -1.  You guys are great!  +T's all around.

Chris

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »
I'll vouch for Chris too. I bought a demo model Almarro tube amp from him around last Christmas. Smooth transaction, good communication, and I'm loving the amp!

I have an older Denon TT that keeps on chugging, but some day I'll be looking to replace it. I'm gonna miss having a semi-automatic, though. It seems like they are harder and harder to come by. I just know I'm gonna get distracted by something some day, and come back to find the end groove has been playing for 6 hours!

w about some +t's for chris!!!!

Even though "tickets don't matter" and all that, it kinda blows my mind when I see people who by every account are good folks, but have a a big negative ticket count. Sometimes someone will have *such* a low ticket count (like Daryan, or wahtever his name is...) that I'll be moved to +T them, see the count, shrug my shoulders, and -T them instead! (Which is not what I just did with you, Chris!)

AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:28 PM »
http://www.altmann.haan.de/turntable/

Fascinating article and a tempting one, too.  FWIW, the old Rec-O-Kut turntables had the same well with a ball bearing in the bttom as this fellow uses.  The Rec-O-Kut had a larger spindle shaft and well, however, with a groove spiral to draw up the oil while it spun.  It also used heavy motor oil as a lube.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com