Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sub-cardioid question  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Sub-cardioid question
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »
Well I'm not sure if it was me or the caps, but I really flubbed on this one.

I was 30 ft from the stage right of center. I set up the caps in DIN configuration. I didn't think much about the right cap pointing mostly at the wall. It was a very quiet acoustic show and I had to punch the levels on my AD20 to get anything.

My initial thoughts were that these caps would sound more like omnis, but that I could still run them in a card config. Well listening to the recording the left channel (which was aimed at the left stack) is WAY louder than the right, like 10-15dBs. Is this because I should have run them like split omnis, or is there maybe just something wrong with one of the caps? I still need to test them out to make sure the caps are both working like they should.

Unfortuantely I cannot post a sample, but am looking to get any insight. Thanks.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sub-cardioid question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 11:55:51 AM »
well you said the other cap was pointed at the wall, correct?  there could have been some wierd reflections causing cancellation in a lot of frequncies, but that's a long shot. 10-15dB is pretty drastic.

what gear are you running besides the ad20?  it's possible that a cap is messed up but do some AB testing first with some music at home or your own voice.  But there could also be something wrong with your phantom power supply or an input on the ad20.  test all that stuff and see what happens.  hopefully everything is alright and you were just in a weird spot in the venue.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
What Brian said.

In general I wouldn't recommend running subcards much narrower than NOS... 30cm. They need significant spacing to keep the soundtsgae from collapsing onto itself and sounding very mono.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 12:13:59 PM »
Running AT853 sub-card>PS2>AD20>Sharp DR7 I know, I know, but I'm broke and don't have a computer or JB3! :(

I probably should've researched configs before just assuming DIN would work, I leaning toward that being the problem. Operator error! Though I will double check to make sure both caps are alright.

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in with sub-card recommendations.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 08:55:56 PM »
When I had subs, I found NOS worked best since they are almost omnis they need the extra spacing.

Since you used the narrower DIN spacing, it seems very unusual that the channels would be 10-15 db off.  I think something was malfunctioning.  I'd look at the mics/capsules first.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 12:21:11 PM »
What Brian said.

In general I wouldn't recommend running subcards much narrower than NOS... 30cm. They need significant spacing to keep the soundtsgae from collapsing onto itself and sounding very mono.
Ever heard any of Jim Madry's tapes????He runs the Neumann subs and has them in the standard Neumann ortf holder.  I think they sound good...Wouldn't doubt that the NOS could be better, but never heard any sound stage collaping from the ortf means.  I bet therer was something else going on w/ Zaphod.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »
I have not heard Jim's tapes. This is based on a few years experience using mk21's, ak43's, and u89s. The polar pattern is basically omni directional, I've found that tapes sound almost mono when run under 30cm or so. Look at a chart of teh pattern sometime...

I'm sure it can sound fine but I've found that it sounds much better when run wide.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 01:10:31 PM »
Jims typically in the sweet spot, a big reason his recordings sound so good.  His recordings might sound even better with a wider spacing.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 02:02:33 PM »
Jims typically in the sweet spot, a big reason his recordings sound so good.  His recordings might sound even better with a wider spacing.
agree.  ;D 
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com