Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP Battery module vs. phantom power kit  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Zeb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP Battery module vs. phantom power kit
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:14:27 AM »
Firstly, hello everyone, nice to be here!  Decided I'd like to start taping shows I go to, and it was recommended that I come and join these forums. 

I've read through a wealth of knowledge from around the forums, and I've decided to go with a JB3 and get CMC-2 mics and mic power from Sound Pro.

My question is:  I can't decide, should I get the sound pro basic battery module ($45) or the sound pro phantom power adapter kit ($100)? 

Also, do I need anything else for a half-decent recording, or should the mics, mic power and JB3 be enough?  My budget won't stretch to too much more, but if there's anything else that would improve performance without breaking the bank, what do you recommend?

Link to the item page:  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-2

I'm mainly going to be stealth recording...

Thanks!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: SP Battery module vs. phantom power kit
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:12:47 AM »
phantom power.  You'll be able to record at higher SPL concerts and not overdrive the mics.  There are many people around who have reported overpowering the mics at louder concerts when using the battery box setup.

If I were you, I'd go with phantom power and purchase a PS-2 instead of a battery box (often sold used for $75 - $100 used) -  but that's just me.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:28:38 AM »
It's really an issue of SPLs. If you're going to be stealthing rock concerts or anything loud like that, the SPLs you'll run into at those sorts of shows will be in the range above generally what the CMC-2s are able to handle on battery power. With the phantom power, you increase their natural ability to handle louder sounds, and as a result your recording's going to see a jump in quality.

Of course, the drawback is that you have to deal with the bulk of the Samson PM-4 XLR connectors (part of the phantom power kit) and the increased size of the PS-2 instead of the 1/8" mini jack + the small battery box. The phantom-powered CMC-2s & the PS-2 can absolutely be stealthed, but since you're just starting out it's hard to say how comfortable you'd be with doing that. If you're fine with bulkier stealth items, then yeah, I'd go with the PS-2 and the phantoms like pfife said.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 04:25:12 AM »
I'm politely disagreeing here - the CMC2s do not need phantom power.

I've not done a direct comparison, but recording very loud rock / metal bands does not overload these mics. I've 100+ stealth recordings to prove this..

The CMC4s, 6s, and 8s do overload at high spls.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Wedge

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 05:16:39 AM »
My CMC-2s > SP-SPSB-1 (flat) worked a treat for Scorpions/Judas Priest.  And Priest were loud.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 07:46:35 AM »

I've not done a direct comparison, but recording very loud rock / metal bands does not overload these mics. I've 100+ stealth recordings to prove this..

many factors (mainly spl and one's proximity to sound source) are in play with overloading the battery powered mics.  so i would have to disagree with this in general.

i've overloaded AT831 mics (not the SP cmc2 version) in the past.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 08:46:43 AM »

many factors (mainly spl and one's proximity to sound source) are in play with overloading the battery powered mics.  so i would have to disagree with this in general.

i've overloaded AT831 mics (not the SP cmc2 version) in the past.

marc

I have no personal experience with this - just relaying what I've read many times here. 

Also, there is the possibility that some models of SP AT's handle high SPLs, and others do not... I don't know enough about them, and admittedly lump all of them together...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:32:29 AM »
Bet the original poster is really confused by now, if he's checking back on this thread  ;D
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 10:40:44 PM »
Not only do phantom powered mics handle loud concerts better (not overloading), the sound quality on the mics should improve quite dramatically (it's like lifting a veil off the mics when i got my sp mics upgraded to phantom power).  I would definitely get the phamtom power kit and be done with it.  It'll save you a lot of hassle down the road, imho.

The only downside is sneaking in the gear.  I miss those days of sneaking in that mini battery module...so damn easy to hide just about anywhere.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com