Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MSH-1A omnis, part deux  (Read 13757 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: MSH-1A omnis, part deux
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
I will. I'll patch together a bunch of 20 footers between one capsule and a pre-amp and use just one 5 footer on the other and record the same source (white noise and some dynamic material) with the mics very close together. That should represent a worse case scenario.

Worst case scenario is in the field!  There you will have 60Hz, PA, light dimmers, etc.  If it is a critical job, don't leave room for error.  Put a preamp near the mics.

Richard

I run mics on 100' snakes all the time.  Why would these be any different?  They are bnallanced aren't they?  They would have to be for phantom, right?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 06:33:39 PM »
I will. I'll patch together a bunch of 20 footers between one capsule and a pre-amp and use just one 5 footer on the other and record the same source (white noise and some dynamic material) with the mics very close together. That should represent a worse case scenario.

Worst case scenario is in the field!  There you will have 60Hz, PA, light dimmers, etc.  If it is a critical job, don't leave room for error.  Put a preamp near the mics.

Richard

I run mics on 100' snakes all the time.  Why would these be any different?  They are bnallanced aren't they?  They would have to be for phantom, right?

Matt

They are balanced, but a little higher impedance.  Go ahead and try it.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »
Yeah, Richard is right, most modern condensers are ~200 ohms. The MSH-1A's are 600 ohms. This used to be called medium impedence. Some of the old Radio Shack mics with phono plug conectors were 600 ohm mics.  There may be problems using microphones with this impedence with longer cable runs. I'll try to test them soon.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 06:52:05 PM »
+T guys... I wasn't aware that was a problem.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 02:06:51 AM »
got mine today and just gave them a test in the living room.  These little things are sweet for sure!  Great find Dirk +T again.   I'll run them spit this weekend for a couple local bar bands.  I have two friends who's bands are playing this weekend.  I'll get to try out the ultralite for the first time too (another thanks to Dirk for the sweet dealer hookup on the ultralite  <$500 inc. next day shipping for new>)... wow is that a sweet little toy too!  Unfortunately I can't find my butterfly clips for the msh-1a's... Do I drop $10 at the local electonics shop, or do I do the famed boiling water mod to my old oversized sp shocks :hmmm:
   Dirk, I never did get to d/l the clip from this thread to hear the overloading.  Do you think that was a long cable run issue?  It was on-stage.  Were you, or where you at foh running on the snakes?

Matt
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 02:09:19 AM by mmmatt »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 07:53:04 AM »
got mine today and just gave them a test in the living room.  These little things are sweet for sure!  Great find Dirk +T again.   I'll run them spit this weekend for a couple local bar bands.  I have two friends who's bands are playing this weekend.  I'll get to try out the ultralite for the first time too (another thanks to Dirk for the sweet dealer hookup on the ultralite  <$500 inc. next day shipping for new>)... wow is that a sweet little toy too!  Unfortunately I can't find my butterfly clips for the msh-1a's... Do I drop $10 at the local electonics shop, or do I do the famed boiling water mod to my old oversized sp shocks :hmmm:
   Dirk, I never did get to d/l the clip from this thread to hear the overloading.  Do you think that was a long cable run issue?  It was on-stage.  Were you, or where you at foh running on the snakes?

Matt

I wrapped gaff tape around the XLR connector to get them to fit in a regular clip.  One of these days I'll get some clips for them.  Should have just bought them to begin with I guess.

The second clip is from mics placed onstage, running through the house snake system (probably 75-100 feet) and directly into the Metric Halo.  However, there is also distortion present (very slight) in the previous week's recordings, where the mics were flown on a stand about 20 feet from the stage directly into a Traveler.

I'd say the mics just can't handle the louder sources as well.  As msh put it, "don't put these anywhere you wouldn't put your ears."  I have no doubt they'd shine on acoustic music, but I haven't had an opportunity to try yet.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chuck

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »

Matt

I wrapped gaff tape around the XLR connector to get them to fit in a regular clip.  One of these days I'll get some clips for them.  Should have just bought them to begin with I guess.

The second clip is from mics placed onstage, running through the house snake system (probably 75-100 feet) and directly into the Metric Halo.  However, there is also distortion present (very slight) in the previous week's recordings, where the mics were flown on a stand about 20 feet from the stage directly into a Traveler.

I'd say the mics just can't handle the louder sources as well.  As msh put it, "don't put these anywhere you wouldn't put your ears."  I have no doubt they'd shine on acoustic music, but I haven't had an opportunity to try yet.

Dirk

I plan to record a blue grass band on Saturday using the MSH-1A's.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »
Well, however you slice it these are great mics for the money.  Thanks for putting the time into them and for hanging around here answering our questions!  Nice buld quality too.  They look very pro.

matt

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 12:31:07 AM »
Well, today was my 5th anniversary, and my wife got me a Marenius 4 channel mixer, and a pair of these MSH-1A's. ;D

If all goes well, I'll try a DIN cards + 3' spread omnis mix on Sunday outdoors at Nedfest.  If it goes down, I'll report back how it sounds.

Thanks MS for these cool mics!  They look very professional, looking forward to trying them out.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 01:17:49 AM »
Well, today was my 5th anniversary, and my wife got me a Marenius 4 channel mixer, and a pair of these MSH-1A's. ;D

If all goes well, I'll try a DIN cards + 3' spread omnis mix on Sunday outdoors at Nedfest.  If it goes down, I'll report back how it sounds.

Thanks MS for these cool mics!  They look very professional, looking forward to trying them out.
your wife rocks!  +T for #5!

Matt

Offline Chuck

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 01:23:12 PM »
I made a recording last night of a bluegrass band with the MSH-1A's:

MSH-1A (35 cm spacing)> PS-2> AD-20> DTR-80p (44.1 kHz, 16 bit)
This is a straight recording. I just transfered it from the DAT, with no EQ or level adjustments.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70843.new#new

There is lots of bass bloom, but that's to be expected, inside with omnis. Good band too, BTW.

Chuck

Offline Chuck

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 07:53:26 PM »
OK, that's the good news... with lower level, acoustic music, the MSH-1A's sound fine...

Now the bad news...

My Cracker recording using the same rig, same spot, same night (with less gain on the AD-20) was unlistenable because of the bass distortion.   :(

I may try them on Yonder Mountain String Band  at Red Rocks over Labor Day. That is, if I can get psyched about carrying a whole second rig up those steps...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 08:11:55 PM »
OK, that's the good news... with lower level, acoustic music, the MSH-1A's sound fine...

Now the bad news...

My Cracker recording using the same rig, same spot, same night (with less gain on the AD-20) was unlistenable because of the bass distortion.   :(

I may try them on Yonder Mountain String Band  at Red Rocks over Labor Day. That is, if I can get psyched about carrying a whole second rig up those steps...

i know, those steps are ROUGH :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 09:29:50 PM »
I ran mine for the first time Frid night and I was very pleased.  It was in a bar with a small system so no spl problems at all.  A little bass heavy but just omni-like in that regard.  I also came up with a nice split omni bar too that worked great with them.  I'm going to post some picturesin rig pics when I get a chance.  it cost me all of $8.30, a few peices I had laying around, and about 5 minutes of time.  These are nice sounding mics, but obviously not suited for loud rock shows.  I'm supposed to be doing some 1/2 assed studio work in the next couple of weeks and they will be used there for the drum kit I think.  Maybe on an acoustic too.

Matt

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:32 AM »
I made a recording last night of a bluegrass band with the MSH-1A's:

MSH-1A (35 cm spacing)> PS-2> AD-20> DTR-80p (44.1 kHz, 16 bit)
This is a straight recording. I just transfered it from the DAT, with no EQ or level adjustments.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70843.new#new

There is lots of bass bloom, but that's to be expected, inside with omnis. Good band too, BTW.

Chuck

Thanks for posting the link....downloaded it and liked the sound so I ordered myself a pair of the MSH-1O's :)  Hopefully I'll run them (along with my regular rig) next month at a Grace Potter & The Nocturnals show.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com