Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable recorder  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Vurki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Portable recorder
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »
I'm a bit puzzled by the responses because it seems to me that the original posted did not start out asking about all in one decks. He was asking about a recorder and preamp.

I'm in the minority-I hate my FR-2LE. Not enough gain to satisfy me for acoustic music, so its hard for me to see how it would be great for nature without an external pre. I guess I must be wrong, given all the positive responses about it, but I'm a bit surprised to hear it works well for nature. I would sell the damn thing but when Busman finally got it working correctly, he left a part rattling around inside that I`` can't get out, so nobody would want it.

If you want an external pre, I would get a MixPre or MP-2 (very quiet) and a smaller recorder like an Edirol R-09HR or Sony PCM-M10. The Marantz 661 would also be great if it fits the budget & you want the option of going digi-in later. The fact that it may be a tiny bit noisier than the FR2-LE would be irrelevant if you are using it with a preamp. I would never get a FR2-LE if I was going to be using an external pre anyway.

I never thought of separate preamp and recorder, I ment all in one decks, but now that you mentioned, separate boxes are an option. Noise is still the biggest issue, but of course budget can't really yield, so I don't know if there's a better choice than FR2-LE or 661. Separate preamp and recorder will be pretty expensive... MixPre seems to cost +700€, and for example Edirol R-09 HR almost 300€, so it'll do 1000€, which is way too much. And Sound Devices'page says MixPre's equivalent input noise is -126 dBu when FR2-LE's it's -129 dBu (according to http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm). Naturally that's not all, but I'm wondering if those under 1000€ equipment can make better quality (=less noise) than FR?

E: fmaderjr, according to your experience, do you think FR2-LE with Rode NT1-A would be good enough for example recording sounds from ship deck? I won't probably use my gear to record quet summerdays, mostly different kind of vehicles. I have used Zoom H2 to record train station and there was so much noise that it worked, but for example, inside a train, it will be more quiet - will it fit for that?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:47:46 AM by Vurki »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
Vurki-Sorry i misread what you were asking about. I'm not the one to ask about the FR2-LE. I'm obviously a hater. If the noises you are recording are not extrewmely quiet, I guess it would work fine, but you will get responses from people who regularly use their FR2-LE and will know better than me. I'm still guessing the Marantz 661 would be far more convenient to use (good battery life with standard batteries, smaller, and option to go digi-in later). I'm guessing that the FR2-LE's "slightly less noisy preamp" might not really be an audible improvement, but I have no way to know for sure. Someone who has used both may chime in.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Vurki

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
Vurki-Sorry i misread what you were asking about. I'm not the one to ask about the FR2-LE. I'm obviously a hater. If the noises you are recording are not extrewmely quiet, I guess it would work fine, but you will get responses from people who regularly use their FR2-LE and will know better than me. I'm still guessing the Marantz 661 would be far more convenient to use (good battery life with standard batteries, smaller, and option to go digi-in later). I'm guessing that the FR2-LE's "slightly less noisy preamp" might not really be an audible improvement, but I have no way to know for sure. Someone who has used both may chime in.

Ok. I actually would like to record those "extremely quiet" sounds, but I have came to the conclusion that it's just impossible with my budget. Of course, with shotgun mics and dishes it's possible, but ambiences with some distant birds, no way. It would require a gear of tens of thousands of euros. So I'll do some less quiet stuff, but still, Zoom is way too noisy.

I think the difference of noise levels beetween 661 and FR isn't big, but also, those both seem practical and 661 is a little more expensive. So, don't know yet... all the suggestions are welcomed but in the end, this starts to come clear.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
consider joining the nature recordist yahoo group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/

When buying electronics I spend weeks researching it and reading/watching almost every review I can on it so I don't make a rash decision that I will regret later on. There are reviews of the 2le on this board so read those and I know for a fact people have written about the 2le on the nature recordist group before. You will get people who nitpick down to the color of the recorder or the backlight of the display so you'll have to filter some stuff out if it is not relevant to you and eventually make a decision.

Will you be using a stereo pair of the rode nt1a or a single one? if you have a single one, would you upgrade to a stereo pair eventually?

good luck!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Vurki

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 11:35:39 AM »
Thanks for the link. I sent my joining request. I definitely want to be sure of my choose, for me these are expensive purchases...

I will use stereo pair. Why asking?

Offline Vurki

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »
Comparing the two recoders:

Fostex FR2-LE
+ Slightly better preamps
+ Cheaper

Marantz 661
+ Better headphone amp
+ Digital I/O
+ Small
+ Can delete files
+ Uses SD cards
+ Higher gain???

The differences aren't big, but there still are pretty many things that are better in Marantz. Headphone amp: for monitoring I don't need the best quality, but if I'm travelling, it would be nice to be able to listen to the recordings. And deleting and Flash cards are also related to this: I don't want to buy large Flash cards because of their price, and if I don't have a lot of space, I'd need to delete files... Digital I/O. I currently don't have any use for that, but it is possible that I will buy sometimes for example an external preamp, and then the digi I/O would be useful (I guess it'll be less noisy if I'll use digital input instead of analog). Size is not that important, both are small enough. Price is an important thing but the differences aren't huge and those Flash cards are more expensive than SDs, so that doesn't really matter. Then there's this gain thing, someones say that Fostex' gain is too low, true?

So the things that I want to know are: a) is the difference of the noise levels significant, can you in practice hear it, b) does the Fostex' heaphone output's noise really disturb and c) is there a clear difference between the gain levels? According to specs (for example http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm), it seems like Fostex would be clearly less noisy than Marantz (4 dBu), but I don't really know how to read those specs. I mean, four dBs is a clear difference, can it really be that much?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »
I think the convenience factors are significant. If the preamp quality of the 2 recorders are close, I think choosing the Marantz would be a no brainer even if it costs a bit more.

The FR2-LE's headphone amp is very poor in quality, especially when a lot of amplification is needed. I hated having to use 7.2 volt RC batteries with the Fostex to get good battery life and the recorder completely drains the batteries within 2 weeks if left in the recorder. Also the Fostex does not seem to provide a lot of gain for acoustic performances, let alone nature.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:41:56 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
If a seperate pre is a possibility look at the Naiant Studios LittleBox. It is handmade by a TS member and can be customized. It is also one of the least expensive pres I know of. Links to sales and tech spec pages are in the first post of the following thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=128321.0

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
I love my littlebox and now actually use it much more than my MixPre. I recommended the MixPre because I thought that possibly the littlebox didn't provide enough gain to be optimal for nature recordings. However I would much rather use a littlebox/(R-09HR or Sony PCM-M10) combo than use a FR2-LE as a single box system no matter what I was recording.  Cost & total size would be similar with more gain and a better feature set.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
Didn't you said in the begining of the thread that you'll be using the recorder for field recordings? I mean, outdoor capture of sound? Enviroments usually are noisy, if you're recording urban soudscapes, that won't make a big diference, perhaps in remote nature settings you'll hear that diference in using the mics, anyway the Rode NT1 are large diaphragm mics, so huge to carry around in the field, and the options for whidshields are very rare... I don't know how we get into this mics-preamp-recorder situation... if you want a all-in-one option, easier to carry anywhere, the Marantz 661 will be much nicer, because it has onboard mics and XLR input phantom mics, you could also consider the Tascam DR-100 and the Zoom H4n... (the best preamps are the 661, but the onboard mics are the H4n), but if you want good preamps, and you cant get a SD machine, the the Fostex is the way to go... but i'm a bit confused with the way the thread turn out, you should specify first the recording situations you want... and not get tangled in this tecno rush...
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »
If you want an external pre, I would get a MixPre or MP-2 (very quiet) and a smaller recorder like an Edirol R-09HR or Sony PCM-M10.

What he said. there was a pretty long thread last year (use the search) with a female taper doing ambient recordings with a Rode mic. The conclusion in her case was that the mixpre offered superior gain, paired up with a R-09HR, M10 or similar. YMMV.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Vurki

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 06:26:56 AM »
I came to the conclusion that I can't know which one is better if I don't try myself, so I ordered FR2-LE and if it doesn't fit for my use, I'll return it and order 661. I just have to test. However, your help has been very useful, I learned to see different faces of recording gear, thank you all :) I'll post some review somewhere after I have used FR for some time... and I may as well post some recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com