Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to Upgrade Rig -- Suggestions?  (Read 5554 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Looking to Upgrade Rig -- Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Right now I have a pretty underwhelming set-up:  Sony ECM DS70P mic and Sony MZ-NH700. Yes, I know--a MiniDisc. I don't get a chance to tape that often anymore due to my being away at college. Though when home for break, I noticed my MiniDisc finally kicked the bucket. My biggest concern is the actual recorder, with any microphones or pre-amps being secondary. I got some real nice captures with that set-up, but since the actual recorder is past its time, I need to upgrade.

The M10 is a great choice for a recorder, but if you buy one and run your Sony ECM DS70P mic into it, you may not hear any difference in your recordings. Mini-Disc quality is surprisingly good as long as you aren't using one of the long play modes.

On the other hand if you buy a Church Audio mic and battery box and run it into the Mini-Disc your surely will hear an improvement in your recordings (unless the Mini-Disc is no longer working properly). Church mics are a huge upgrade to your Sony ECM DS70P mic. A Sony M10 is also a huge upgrade to your Mini-Disc, but the change in audio quality may be hard to hear. When I recorded with a Hi-MD, I used the High LP mode (which is equal to the best standard Mini-Disc quality) and the recordings sounded incredible. (I didn't use Hi-MD quality because I could hear no difference and didn't want to have to swap discs during a show).

Unless you are big on using a recorder's internal mics (which I don't recommend), if you can't afford to buy a complete set up right now, I would buy your new mics and battery box first and a new recorder when you can afford it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:22:24 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
^ basically what I said. I've recorded many many times with MiniDisc and the proper audio quality (using the same mics obviously) was the same than when I upgraded my recorder.

By the way, fmaderjr, the guy has *already* bought a Tascam DR2D, so a pair of good mics are definitely the way way way to go!!!
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
You should hit up the Live Music Archive and listen to recordings made with the various mics, recorders, and combinations listed to see what sounds good to you.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
Battery box is probably fine -- I think preamps are overkill for most loud rock shows but they do have their place for pop shows/jazz/classical/etc.

^^ This.  To expand on that, I would also suggest sticking with a "plain" battery box and not one with rolloff filters: just unnecessary switches you don't need to worry about and you can take care of any EQ'ing in post.  Also, I would go for a battery box that uses 9v batteries as opposed to the slightly smaller ones that use 12v batteries.  The size difference isn't all that much, 12v batteries aren't as commonplace as the 9v, and there is a shorter powering time for 12v as opposed to 9v (roughly 50 hours vs. 250 hours, conservatively).

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Battery box is probably fine -- I think preamps are overkill for most loud rock shows but they do have their place for pop shows/jazz/classical/etc.

^^ This.  To expand on that, I would also suggest sticking with a "plain" battery box and not one with rolloff filters: just unnecessary switches you don't need to worry about and you can take care of any EQ'ing in post.  Also, I would go for a battery box that uses 9v batteries as opposed to the slightly smaller ones that use 12v batteries.  The size difference isn't all that much, 12v batteries aren't as commonplace as the 9v, and there is a shorter powering time for 12v as opposed to 9v (roughly 50 hours vs. 250 hours, conservatively).

And to add to this, the Church Audio Ugly "Battery Box" is probably as least complex a battery box one can buy (and for $29 + shipping).  It's small, idiot proof, and never fails me.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
You should hit up the Live Music Archive and listen to recordings made with the various mics, recorders, and combinations listed to see what sounds good to you.
Unless the OP knows the venue and how the mics were set up, the LMA only goes so far.  For the money, CA-14 cards or omnis are probably the best best in the case of the OP unless he can find some AT-853's.  I wouldn't buy the SP-CMC-4's at $200 + 4.7k mod because they're WAAAY overpriced at that point.   Chris has a sale on CA-14's right now I think for $110 + shipping (which is dirt cheap).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com