Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT repair - who do you contact?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline vox humana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MT repair - who do you contact?
« on: January 11, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »
I dropped my MT, which now will not boot. I'm getting the message "HDD init failed." I've submitted an incident report on the M-Audio support page, and after 3 days have received no reply. What is the most reliable way to get a response from tech support? I expect to have to send it in for repair, but want to have it happen quickly - I use the MT in my work.

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MT repair - who do you contact?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »
I would call them, get a name, and work out the specifics.

I don't know what kind of work you're doing but with the MT, you probably need two of them or some other kind of backup.

The MT is easy to drop.  It is slippery and has those smooth corners. No place to mount a strap or short cord.  I put some gaffer tape on a few spots where my fingers usually touch it.  Helps quite a bit.

I gotta figure some kind of good cover could allow operation and protect against drops. Ideally something that would still let it be slid easily in and out of a pocket.  Maybe a neoprene wetsuit like sleeve that slides over with cut-outs for access?

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:59:39 PM »
That is surprising, I would expect the OS to run from a disk-on-chip or something that would not be affected by a fall (unless a solder broke or something). Are you using a microdrive? If so, have you tried booting with the 64mb CF card in it instead?
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline vox humana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:00:31 PM »
It fell from about waist level to a hard floor. I expect that a solder joint broke or a chip came loose. I received an initial reply from M-Audio via the web site support page. Looks like I'll get an RMA to return it for repair.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know about the repair experience!

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 12:01:04 AM »
It fell from about waist level to a hard floor. I expect that a solder joint broke or a chip came loose. I received an initial reply from M-Audio via the web site support page. Looks like I'll get an RMA to return it for repair.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know about the repair experience!

Did you get an estimate or flat rate price on the repair?
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 01:30:54 AM »
ahh.. That sucks!, but I should be lucky then.  I was stealthing a show wearing a hoodie with the MT in the pouch.  Went to take a piss and the MT fell out on the damn piss covered hard bathroom floor!  I was pissed >:D Jumped down, picked it up, wiped the wet piss off it and it was still working like a champ.  When I got home I wiped it down with a clorox bleech wipe and have not had any problems with it at all. 

I hope this post doesn't come back to bite me if I ever put the MT in the Yard Sale.  ::)
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.236 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com