Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Belkin Tunetalk>iPod recordings?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline violaplayr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Belkin Tunetalk>iPod recordings?
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »
Has anyone here made any recordings yet with external mics using the Belkin Tunetalk into iPod?  I was thinking of getting one and getting some AT853's to make some stealth recordings.  Does anyone think the quality could be decent with this setup?

Thanks!

Offline violaplayr

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Belkin Tunetalk>iPod recordings?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
Nobody?  bump

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277661

TuneTalk™ Stereo for iPod® with video

Part # F8Z082-BLK

With two high-quality omnidirectional microphones, the new Belkin TuneTalk Stereo lets you record memos, lectures, interviews, or conversations in full stereo. You can then review your CD-quality audio notes later by using your earbud headphones or computer.

Advantages
•   CD quality stereo recording
•   Charge while recording with included cable
•   Can be used with most cases
•   External microphone adapter (3.5mm stereo)
•   One touch navigation for quick memos
•   Hands free recording with included stand
•   Real time adjustable gain for changing noise levels
•   Clipping indicator

it looks like it could work
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:26:46 PM »
Has anyone here made any recordings yet with external mics using the Belkin Tunetalk into iPod?  I was thinking of getting one and getting some AT853's to make some stealth recordings.  Does anyone think the quality could be decent with this setup?

Thanks!

Hi,
  I've been waiting for this dongle since I ordered my 5th gen video ipod......They have been dragging their feet forever......It seems like an interesting product...I spoke to Apple about it last February (?) and it seemed like they had no official answer...They said "an aftermerket company should be making something"........I said , Isn't it weird that you introduce this wonderful feature that no one could utilize due to a lack of aftermarket hardware..........I think the RIAA had their hand in it......something like " Hey, millions of people will be able to use their ipods to record live stuff we want to sell"............There were initially two companies marketing similar devices.........I can't remember the name of the other company ( damn short term memory :smoking: :smoking2:)......
I have not heard of anyone obtaining or using either one of the dongles......If you would like....You could call Chris at Sound Professionals...He has them (the Belkin unit) for sale and may be able to answer question better than I have.....
If you grab on...let us know how it works.......an extra  portable 60gig recorder would be a handy ...

Peace :),
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline killdeerz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »
I used my tunetalk at a show last sat. did not use ex.mic the sound quality was very good but it only recorded for one hour then was dead there was some clipping or skipping in some of the play back not sure why????????thinking of getting the Ikey let me know if anybody knows hoW to stop the clipping....using a 30GB.........KILLDEERZ

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
I used my tunetalk at a show last sat. did not use ex.mic the sound quality was very good but it only recorded for one hour then was dead there was some clipping or skipping in some of the play back not sure why????????thinking of getting the Ikey let me know if anybody knows hoW to stop the clipping....using a 30GB.........KILLDEERZ

Do you have samples of the clipping?  Just trying to figure out exactly what you mean by "clipping"?  Anyway, couple possibilities, depending on the cause of the "clipping":

<1>  The mics are overloaded from the high sound pressure levels (SPLs, or volume, basically) hitting the mics.

Solution:  use mics that have a higher SPL rating, i.e. replace the TT with something else (don't know if it's possible to record with the iPod without the TT). 

<2>  The mics can handle the high SPLs but the analog-input on the TT / iPod cannot.

Solution:  replace the TT and/or iPod, depending on which is causing the problem.  (But really, since the TT is made specifically for the iPod - can it be used with other devices? - the solution is probably to replace both the TT and the iPod.)

<3>  The mics and TT / iPod analog-inputs can handle the high SPLs, but the levels are too high for the iPod's analog-to-digital converter (ADC), causing true "clipping" during analog-to-digital conversion (i.e. 3 or more consecutive samples hitting 0 dBFS).

Solution:  reduce the recording levels so the loudest sound recorded does not hit 0 dBFS.  If this is the problem, and this solution doesn't work (i.e. you're not able to reduce the recording levels low enough so you don't hit 0 dBFS), then you're basically SOL for using the TT / iPod for recording loud sources (like concerts).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline killdeerz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
DO YOU THINK EXTERNAL MIC PLUGED INTO THE LINE IN WOULD HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A MIC??/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 09:30:01 PM »
DO YOU THINK EXTERNAL MIC PLUGED INTO THE LINE IN WOULD HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A MIC??/

No need to SHOUT.  Didn't realize the TT accepts inputs from external mics.  Yes, external mics may help.  Can't say for sure since I haven't tried it myself, though.
Roland R-05

Offline killdeerz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:38:52 PM »
The  TT also has a autogain swith on it I tried it with the built in mic it gave me  a lower sound quality .....is that ...autogain for a mic??????thanks for the info.......and what kind of mic should I get?????????

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
The  TT also has a autogain swith on it I tried it with the built in mic it gave me  a lower sound quality .....is that ...autogain for a mic??????thanks for the info.......and what kind of mic should I get?????????

What do you mean by "lower sound quality"?  At any rate, if you can set recording levels manually, you should - skip the autogain if possible.

I think you should get an inexpensive pair of mics powered by a battery box.  Something like the ones available from Chris Church, Microphone Madness, Sound Professionals, etc.  Most of their mics + battery box should be able to handle the high SPLs of a concert recording.  If you experience the same problem, then the problem lies not with the mics, but with the TT / iPod, in which case you should probably just invest in an alternative recorder like the IRiver H120 or some such.
Roland R-05

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:53 AM »
Whats the battery life on the ipod for recording?  Once youve made your recording how do you access it once you plug the ipod into the computer?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 01:33:04 AM »
i taped DMB woodlands and dallas this year using the belkin/ipod setup.  worked flawlessly for 44.1...  but does need an external a/d.  the ipod a/d isn't that great...

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Startstop

• Taperssection Regular
  • Pastafarian
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »
Whats the battery life on the ipod for recording?  Once youve made your recording how do you access it once you plug the ipod into the computer?

Hi, i just picked one of these up to mess around with. The battery life was just under 3 hours. There is a 2gig limit to the file being written but it stopped/saved and started a new file on its own, albeit with a 2-3 second split. As long as your ipod is set up as an external hard drive you just copy/cut and paste. Itunes also asks if you would like to add the file to your library as soon as you hook up the ipod.

Seems like a kinda-decent, cheap alternative or backup if you already have an ipod. DO NOT use the auto gain...complete garbage. I would not use this as my primary recording device but its certainly stealthable. (edit to add...) Skalinder nailed it, without a battery-box or pre this thing is useless, which is about what i expected. :)

Im bringing mine to MSMW in DC on friday and ill report back with results.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:12:50 PM by Startstop »

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »
I googled tunetalk and found a podcaster trying out the belkin.
one bad thing is, well two, are you can't monitor your taping through the headphone out and there's no level indicator, just an LED showing clipping. (is that a recording term?)

http://typicalpcuser.biz/tpcu/?p=257

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 01:53:20 PM »
if there were level indicators then I would think about it as a cheap back up as ive already got an 80gb ipod.  maybe a new firmware version will add that feature.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline lovelessrapture

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »
I used a tunetalk & my 30gb 5th gen ipod last night, managed to record only an hour n a half (although that was how long the show was) with a completely fully charged pod, I used external mics & although it didn't clip I ended up with 2 to 3 second gaps in the recording, I looked on the web n this is coz the 30gb ipod isnt very good when it comes to flash memory, so if u've got a nano the tunetalk'll work better. Plus I should note my ipod had 22gbs of the 30 full anyways so that probably didn't help, so I'm off to format it for wednesday when I've another gig so I report back on whether a format loses the skipping.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com