Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions/ Problems with Ebay DPA 4061?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Opinions/ Problems with Ebay DPA 4061?
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »
Wanted to hear any feedback with any TS'ers that have purchased these off of ebay.  Read through a whole bunch of old threads warning about the potential danger in buying these used mics, but didn't really see that many coments from those who had purchased them. 
Reason I'm asking is I have a little money to spend and don't exactly know what direction to go in to improve my ghetto rig, i.e. new mics^, a pre, save up for a better recorder ect.  thought i'd start to narrow it down.

and any sugestions on what would be a good upgrade, staying stealth, from my 853's?
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Opinions/ Problems with Ebay DPA 4061?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
If you don't want to get burned,
just buy from the yardsale here.

I haven't heard of anyone getting burned on dpa's in particular on ebay.
More CF cards and such.
But for piece of mind, personally I would just buy here.
I had no trouble with the five or so members I've dealt with here.
-todd
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
there is one seller from ebay that a good number of people here have got them from and they have had no problems
check the 1st page of the ebay forum, the seller had a pair recently linked here so you can see the name
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
To my knowledge, nobody has reported a bad experience with this seller, who has a pair on sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DPA-4061-Tan-lavaliere-microphone-pair-for-MD_W0QQitemZ280194516502QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

She says they are professionally tested (which eliminates a great deal of the risk) and reports are that she even tries to match them fairly well (mine were).

Buying them from her is much cheaper than tapers will sell them for in the yard sale. Sometimes a good bit under $300.

I got a great pair from her.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »
paulbaptiste, I know nothing at all about the seller or about the DPA microphone that you're interested in, but would simply like to say that as an eBayer with 755 rated transactions and a 100.0% feedback record, I'm a little like the owner of a shiny new car who comes to an intersection and sees someone driving a beat-up old wreck coming around the corner. I'm going to give that person the right of way, because they have less to lose than I do if we should collide.

In other words, though I'm not proud of the fact, I never leave negative or even neutral feedback, except in the few clear-cut cases of outright fraud which I have reported to eBay as such (an action which gives me protection against retaliatory negative feedback from the seller). If someone takes a long time to ship, or if in my opinion the item isn't as described but it's a "judgment call" type of situation, I simply don't leave any feedback for them at all.

As a result I think it's best when someone you trust can vouch for a seller, particularly with relatively fragile, expensive items. But where microphones and capsules are concerned, no matter how highly touted the seller is, I always send the items to the manufacturer for checkout before using them in a live recording. Quite often, even an honest seller will simply not know what problems may be lurking inside a capsule or microphone.

I've bought numerous microphones and capsules on eBay which turned out to have problems that needed repair; in a few cases I actually know the seller well enough to feel sure that they had no intent to deceive--they simply didn't realize that (for example) one capsule, which they had bought second-hand themselves, had internal water damage and (for example) another one had insulation that was about to fail. It takes expert disassembly and testing of a capsule before you can possibly know those things--and while a fair number of people know how to take capsules apart, only a much smaller number are qualified to put them back together.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:13:21 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »
THanks for your input.  I would be much more comfortable buying used gear off the board here than ebay, the cheaper price is a temptation that hard to ignore. 

Is there a another option beisdes DPA's for stealth mics that would be a noticeable improvement over what i run now, as opposed to a lateral move,
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »
For the positive transaction side of the equation....

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97384.0.html

I got 2 singles that I terminated myself for $255 shipped.  YMMV

Joe

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
To my knowledge, nobody has reported a bad experience with this seller, who has a pair on sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DPA-4061-Tan-lavaliere-microphone-pair-for-MD_W0QQitemZ280194516502QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

She says they are professionally tested (which eliminates a great deal of the risk) and reports are that she even tries to match them fairly well (mine were).

Buying them from her is much cheaper than tapers will sell them for in the yard sale. Sometimes a good bit under $300.

I got a great pair from her.

thats who i was talking about as well
looking at her feedback she did get negative from a member here - jerryfreak
so you might want to ask about that
still most seem to be happy with theirs
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline paulbaptiste

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »

I saw that too when going through the feeback, maybe jerryfreak will chime in
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:34:08 PM by paulbaptiste »
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
Is there a another option beisdes DPA's for stealth mics that would be a noticeable improvement over what i run now, as opposed to a lateral move,

Sonic Studios mics may be a step up although some may see them as lateral.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/

You can usually find a set in the yard for hundreds less than new.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
I got a set about 3 years ago, broadway sellers, they're running well, and, although I didn't get quite as good a deal (400 for a pretty closely matched pair) I am still very satisfied!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »
Sennheiser MKE2.  These sound really full, and IMO are a little easier on the ears then the DPA406x.  (Not biased, I've got both mics...).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »
ok, heres my experience, i can elaborate later, but to summarize, i inquired about a return policy, she said, if youre not happy, send em back.

i knew i was taking a chance, and was hoping to get them test them, and keep them if they were ok.

when i received them, i realized the lemo connectors were crimped/molded, and i'd need to cut them to test them. I didn't think it was fair to  cut them and possibly return them, so i decided i would just return as per her policy.

well guess what, as soon as i tried to return them according to her policy, she insisted, 'they are in perfect order, you have no reason to return them, no deal'. sh would provide no details on how they were 'professionally tested'

so after a few back and forth emails, i told her i would send them to dpa to be tested, and decide from there. Well guess what, they were two perfectly matched pairs, , in DPA spec. so i kept them both, and then she left me negative feedback:'Terrible buyer, don’t do business with this one.", which was a stretch to say the least. so i left her feedback, "Very difficult to deal with! Wouldnt honor agreed upon return policy. I'd avoid!", which was 100% honest. The mics were great, the seller sucked.

in short, i got lucky, but they were def. a broadway pair, so it could have gone either way. just expect that you are buying them as-is, and dont expect the seller to honor any sort of return policy. I'd expect to send them to DPA (they charged me $50, i begged for the 'poor hobby taper discount') if you are serious about them
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com