Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder  (Read 112886 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
I posted this on page 8... if it helps.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Smartphones-USB-charged-Adapters--Lightning/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392726934&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+1000mah

Works like a charm. I've got one and it powers it perfectly.  I don't know for how long but with a full charge, I'm assuming I'd _easily_ get away with a day for P48.
i saw that, the anker see like they are the best reviewed followed by ravpower
Rav does get complaints at times of a ith pitch sound which isn't normal
All of them have the reviews of it dying after a few weeks or months but with 4.5 starts out of 3k plus reviews is pretty good imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
USB DVD converter
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
I'm really tempted to go for this one, right now priced at $199 with Plural Eyes (B&H). I've been very very happy with my M-10 and R-44, for two- and four-channel audio recording, respectively, but this has nice features for use in tandem with a video camera. I think that it would also be useful as an audio recorder by itself, even for someone without any interest in video. For example, the mid-side decoding feature that allows me to monitor the decoded output via headphones. The only real shortcoming that I've heard about is that it drains batteries quickly, but I already have a couple of devices that will power it via USB.
can you link me to USB power you have and like?
Thanks

Speaking of USB power.  IF I had a converter to work with the 9volt DVD battery would that be something you'd be interested in?  I only ask since many of us already own the DVD battery and this has been something I have wanted and been kinda working on for awhile

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Used mine in the field for the first time on Friday night ran 4 channel for Karl Denson.  Very pleased with the results...used a set of 2000 mah rechargeables and had one bar left.....wasn't using phantom either it was a 2hour 20 minute set.  Ill post them in kickdown and specifics a few days as far as level settings, etc..
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline willndmb

Re: USB DVD converter
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
I'm really tempted to go for this one, right now priced at $199 with Plural Eyes (B&H). I've been very very happy with my M-10 and R-44, for two- and four-channel audio recording, respectively, but this has nice features for use in tandem with a video camera. I think that it would also be useful as an audio recorder by itself, even for someone without any interest in video. For example, the mid-side decoding feature that allows me to monitor the decoded output via headphones. The only real shortcoming that I've heard about is that it drains batteries quickly, but I already have a couple of devices that will power it via USB.
can you link me to USB power you have and like?
Thanks
Speaking of USB power.  IF I had a converter to work with the 9volt DVD battery would that be something you'd be interested in?  I only ask since many of us already own the DVD battery and this has been something I have wanted and been kinda working on for awhile
personally, yes and no
I like DVD batteries and had a vr box made by leegeddy
However since I don't need 9v for anything anymore (in fact sold my batteries) I find it easier to have one 5v USB battery instead of two items
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

kirk97132

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
I hear you especially if all you need is the 5V USB power.  For me I have USBPre-2 and other pieces of gear to power at the same time so it would be a convenience.  Actually your post makes me think that this is the wrong thread for it, just something that popped into my mind

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2014, 12:22:34 AM »
I'm wondering if the 60d will be more forgiving of external battery sources than the 680 has been reported to be on TS. 

The internal batteries seemed to last in the 60d roughly as long as Tascam indicates on its website, but they sure came out warm to the touch on my unit.  Has anybody else noticed this with theirs?

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »
whoo hoo mine arrived today a day ahead of the scheduled fedex smart post delivery date(usually add one or two days - with smart post).
 Good news, as I leave town for 10 days tomorrow.I won't be bringing it or have any time to really check it out. Happy to have one.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline willndmb

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
Just grabbed a ravpower 10400mah battery for $25
Should run this for 9 plus hrs
Ill test it out and see for sure

PB07SD02 code for $8 off
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-10400mAh-External-Thunderbolt-Incredible/dp/B009V5X1CE/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:27:12 AM by willndmb »

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:36 AM »
I need one of those externals.  Really like the unit...i posted my Karl Denson 4 channel in kickdown the shows sound great and unit ran flawlessly...just guzzled batteries even without phantom power on
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

adrianf74

« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
whoo hoo mine arrived today a day ahead of the scheduled fedex smart post delivery date(usually add one or two days - with smart post).
Good news, as I leave town for 10 days tomorrow.I won't be bringing it or have any time to really check it out. Happy to have one.

Lucky that happened for you.  My DumbPost (tm) shipment was not only a day late when it arrived, they said that nobody was there to receive the package when it's a freakin' company that handles shipments and it was inside business hours!

Gotta love USPS. Ended up submitting a redelivery request stating the same and the package was mysteriously delivered the following day.   :facepalm:

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
Some of this seems to depend on the local UPS delivery guy. Mine has been great.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
Received mine on Monday.
Picked up the power supply also.
Only a little different interface coming from DR-2D.
And not that much bigger either. Maybe like carrying two of them.

First real run is on Friday night.
Gonna run the the DR-2D as well just in case...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »
Got a DR-60D last week and took it out almost immediately to record Cowboy Junkies at City Winery in NYC.  Haven't given a critical listen to the results yet, but a casual listen left me with a decent impression of the sound and I'm pretty happy with it.  Then again, I had my mics in a nice spot and CW is a wonderful sounding room.  Hope to have some time this weekend to mix it down and post it next week.  Some initial observations and thoughts...

* Overall feel and build quality:
It's more or less all plastic but it seems to have a fairly solid feel and heft to it.  Switches and buttons have a positive click to them, gain pots turn smoothly.  Really like that the 1&2 channel inputs are XLR/TRS combo and the XLRs lock, unlike those on the Roland R-26.  Even though it's different than most of the recorders we're used to using, I personally like the form factor.  Whoever said that it's about the size of a 4-stick/1-pound pack of butter is pretty spot on.  And yes, the top camera mount and front-face bars are all removable to reduce size, but those front bars help protect the face of the recorder so I'd be leery to take them off.  I'm used to Edirol/Roland recorders which I find very intuitive to use and the DR-60D is not terrifically different, IMO.  However, the menu system is a little more extensive than I'm used to, and I question the need for subfolders for some of the menu choices.

* Runtime:
Haven't really tested it thoroughly but can tell you my field results from one night.  As obaaron pointed out, this deck seems to chew through power.  Had 4 freshly and fully charged Eneloop 2000 mAh AA batteries in the compartment, and a freshly and fully charged 3000 mAh cell phone external battery connected to it.  After 2 hours 45 minutes where the DR-60D was on the entire time in 2-channel mode with phantom power on both channels (running Milab VM-44 Links) and either recording or in standby, the external battery was out of juice, the deck had automatically switched to internal power and the meter was down to 2 out of 4 bars.  I recently picked up a Tekkeon MP3300, bought a USB adaptaplug for the cable and it works perfectly.  Will test this for runtime at some point and post the results here.

* What I'm not crazy about:
- Gain pots are just a hair too small for my liking and wish they were ridged instead of smooth on the sides for better grip.  I also wish they had a bit more resistance or even stepped clicks like the R-44.
- Headphone output is definitely noisy and strictly to be used for monitoring.  I wouldn't patch out of it, but I guess that's what the Line Out jack is for.
- Level meter has no reference except for an arrow at the -14 dB point; that's an odd level to mark, too.  The tiny lines they have at the dB steps are a bit too small to use effectively.  What's nice is there's a single readout in decibels which tells you the overall peak but one for each channel would have been better.  Then again, you're limited by the size of the display screen which isn't that large.

* What would be nice:
- A way to stereo link the gain pots on channels 1 and 2 so that they could both be controlled by one pot (a la Sound Devices MixPre-D).  I think I read that the gain pots work in the digital realm so maybe this could be accomplished with a firmware update?
- A S/PDIF digital-in (and digi-out, if we're going for broke) would be ideal on this deck.

For $200 and with phantom-powered XLRs, this deck is a keeper in my gear chest unless we find something drastically wrong with it.  Really looking forward to testing and recording more shows with this recorder.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
* What I'm not crazy about:
- Gain pots are just a hair too small for my liking and wish they were ridged instead of smooth on the sides for better grip.  I also wish they had a bit more resistance or even stepped clicks like the R-44.
- Headphone output is definitely noisy and strictly to be used for monitoring.  I wouldn't patch out of it, but I guess that's what the Line Out jack is for.
- Level meter has no reference except for an arrow at the -14 dB point; that's an odd level to mark, too.  The tiny lines they have at the dB steps are a bit too small to use effectively.  What's nice is there's a single readout in decibels which tells you the overall peak but one for each channel would have been better.  Then again, you're limited by the size of the display screen which isn't that large.

Does everyone prefer the pots over the a percentage-style input?
I find I like the percentage better so I can document where I was on a particular night\venue.
I think the pots will make this difficult.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
My first thought is I'm not sure it matters since the volume from one group to the next can vary so much depending on who is running sound.  However, this did matter in being able to identify the best gain settings to use on the 2d. 

I think the front bars merit  more thought and development.  It just seems like they are needed to protect the recorder, yet they appear vulnerable to being broken.  I think it would be worth considering buying some polycarbonate and fabricating a face place to go over the controls and removing those bars. 

For example, Peavey makes a simple polycarbonate cover for its mixers.  http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Mixer-Face-Plate-Cover/dp/B003GS50F8

I also think some thought is needed towards mounting an external battery pack to make sure there's enough battery power on hand for taping.  I think one might as well plan on running an external battery pack and figure out how best to add it to the package.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:26:53 PM by 2manyrocks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com