Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neuros HD testing  (Read 16861 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Neuros HD testing
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 02:48:10 PM »
Noise Floor:  I plugged in my crappy sony mic, turned the gain all the way up on the Neuros, and let it record for 4 minutes.  Even with my mic right next to HD, it didn't pick up any noise.  It generally stayed between -68dB and -72dB. -72dB is the lowest the Neuros reads.  I couldn't make out any noises on the recording with my HD580s turned up all the way.

Not sure what exactly you're testing here... otherwise, it all seems butter.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 02:48:22 PM by zhianosatch »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 05:34:48 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Last night, J. Daniels had me believing there was actually an 8 bit digital recorder.  

I'll be interested to see how further tests come out.  I want to get a small DAT alternative soon, and it looks like it's between this,  or the JB3.  Thanks for your efforts! - Matt

Thom Joad, did you check out the torrent I added?  It's an a/d comparison between the neuros and the M1.  I think you'll even like the song choice I used for it ;D

The only features the JB3 has over the Neuros are the digital input, its reputation, and its removable batteries

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 05:08:29 AM »
So, any final conclusions yet? I am looking for a recorder to replace the MD. JB3 is an option, but still a bit big i feel. All i use it for is stealthing. Few questions:

- can i change levels on the fly?
- can it record wav for hours, or is it limited?
- is the light bright enough (for recording in the dark)?

hope to hear, thanks!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 10:35:59 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Last night, J. Daniels had me believing there was actually an 8 bit digital recorder.  

I'll be interested to see how further tests come out.  I want to get a small DAT alternative soon, and it looks like it's between this,  or the JB3.  Thanks for your efforts! - Matt

Thom Joad, did you check out the torrent I added?  It's an a/d comparison between the neuros and the M1.  I think you'll even like the song choice I used for it ;D

The only features the JB3 has over the Neuros are the digital input, its reputation, and its removable batteries

and pop/click free recordings ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 11:53:30 AM »
If they get a pack that will do digi optical and firewire, it will be killer.  (at least some kind of digital in, and I guess I could settle for usb 2.0 but been spoiled with firewire  ;D)

The thing that originally caught my attention on the Neuros was the fact that the developers are actually listening to the users, and then making changes.  Too often we have products here that people make then try to find someone to buy it...

I would say in about a year or two, this will be the device of choice if they continue the trend...

+T Schwill for being a guinea pig!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 11:54:46 AM by mikesus »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 06:12:19 PM »
So, any final conclusions yet? I am looking for a recorder to replace the MD. JB3 is an option, but still a bit big i feel. All i use it for is stealthing. Few questions:

- can i change levels on the fly?
- can it record wav for hours, or is it limited?
- is the light bright enough (for recording in the dark)?

hope to hear, thanks!

yes, you can change levels on the fly with no introduced noise
yes, it has been test for hours and will record 16/44.1 for up to 6 hours I believe (4GB limit with FAT32 systems)
yes, the light is bright enough.  It is an orange light that can be in off/10/30 second modes.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

that's not an advantage
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 06:13:59 PM by schwill »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2004, 10:40:48 PM »

that's not an advantage

It's a disadvantage??? ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2004, 11:06:12 PM »

that's not an advantage

It's a disadvantage??? ;D

it would be an advantage over the Neuros if the Neuros had pops and clicks.  That's what I was trying to say. :)

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 06:58:24 AM »
thanks a lot swill, for the fictures too, great! its a pity you ahve to use that black (backpack) on the neuros,. makes it only little smaller that a M1. But...its still smaller than JB3.

other pro/cons compared to the JB3?
Why is this one better than the JB3? (or not?)
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2004, 07:13:48 AM »
I've given all the information I have in this thread.

It will accept 9-16V DC.  I'm gonna make an RC pack and see what kind of results I get with it.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2004, 10:07:34 AM »
so you havent gotten any pops/clicks schwill???

good to hear, now just make a digi-in, and id prolly buy one!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2004, 04:00:38 PM »
do we really need a digi-in?

probably most have seen it, good forum
http://www.neurosaudio.com/community/forum/default.asp

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
We definetly need to go to a show and do a JB3 vs. Neuros A/D test. Find a show we can tape!

Retired Taper

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »
I'm gonna be in Irvine for Primus, but I doubt yer hitting that.

pick yer medicine, preferrably something that doesn't suck ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 05:45:22 PM by schwill »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com