Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first run with the JB3 - how am I doing?  (Read 2104 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
My first run with the JB3 - how am I doing?
« on: July 01, 2004, 10:11:13 AM »
Just got one of these things. Recorded some regional acts with some Audio Technica 817s.

I used my Sony D5 (portable analog deck) mic preamp and ran the D5 line out into the JB3.

Sony D5 info here
http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/sony_tcd5proii.html

Those of you not familiar with the D5...It's a pro analog cassette deck. It has VU needles and a "Peak" light...if you just push the "Record" (without "Play") it will turn on the decks electronics but not the transport motors...so you can use it as a preamp.

I set the D5 levels as I normally would

I just left the JB3 set at the default 0db

The recording seems to be pretty nice. The Sony D5s "Peak" light seems to mean A LOT MORE in this setup than when using cassette or my D7...the cassette seems more forgiving on the peaks...and I never really noticed the DAT clipping...but the D7 uses a totally different type of level controler(than the JB3). When the D5's red "Peak" light goes on you can really hear it in the JB3...

The resulting recordings showed Peak levels of around 77 - 89%...as long as I kept my eye on the peak light for shifts in PA or stage volume...everything sounds great...

On some other sets I applied +2db of gain with the JB3 and those came out with peak levels 98-100 percent...

So...can I assume with a properly set mic preamp...you almost need no extra gain from the jb3...and no more than +1 db?

Lots more recording to do this weekend!!!

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: My first run with the JB3 - how am I doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
Hey - that's very creative of you.  My wife brought one of those home from work a little while ago.  The transport wasn't working but man, what a beatifully built piece of equipment.  I don't know if the mic pres are any good but it's better than having inadequate gain. 

The metering on the Sony might be set up at the preamp output, where red represents analog clipping.  That would explain why you really hear it even though it doesn't clip on the JB3.

My recommendation - use the Sony meters as they indicate (don't go over), leave the JB3 at 0 db and run just like you did - if you were peaking at 79% that's as close as you need - you're leaving less than half a bit unused (16 bit recording), which is fine; no need to go to 100%.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 01:46:03 PM »
I've seen a few people who use the D5 as a preamp when nothing else was available. I believe our own Moke is one of them; I've got another buddy in New York who's done it a few times. Supposedly the mic pres are pretty decent!
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 01:54:21 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't apply any gain with the JB3, just use the sony deck.  :)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com