Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 recording with a partially-full drive  (Read 2862 times)

Offline drowned_in_milk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • No, I can assure you that I am def. not a llama.
    • My Indie-fluenced eTree List
JB3 recording with a partially-full drive
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:06:18 PM »
I remember reading something at one poiint that said the JB3 recorded better if the drive was empty... I was hoping to be able to put mp3's to listen to on it, then be able to tape a show with maybe 5 gigs already taken up.  Anynone know if it matters or not?

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: JB3 recording with a partially-full drive
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:11:26 PM »
i think that would be ok, i think the people who had problems had alot mor ethan that on there when it happened

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 01:46:20 PM »
you should be fine.  i usually leave the recordings on the jb3 until after at least 3 or 4 people have flac copies of it and i have one for my archive.  i have gone out and taped 3 shows in the last week with 8 gigs on the hdd to start.  i think you run into trouble if you delete stuff and you are almost full.  this is because the available space is fragmented on the drive.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:46:16 PM »
i'm lazy and leave my jb3 full of shows.  just taped a show last week and after taping it i had less than 1 gig of free space left.  maybe i'm just lucky but not a single click/pop/diginoise at all from the jb3.  knock on wood.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 03:57:44 PM »
i'm lazy and leave my jb3 full of shows.  just taped a show last week and after taping it i had less than 1 gig of free space left.  maybe i'm just lucky but not a single click/pop/diginoise at all from the jb3.  knock on wood.

Ditto, I am the same way right now, removing shows to make space to tape new ones....haven't had any problems at all yet.  But I really want to do a mass transfer of everything and do a fresh format to be safe sometime soon when I can get to it ;p
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 03:42:05 PM »
I've not read every 'bleeping' post re: JB3 disc space/fragmentation/formating/etc as it relates to digi noise in the transfered wave, but I got to tell you... if that's what's caused some of my latter shows to be very d-noisy I'd recommend not deleting files and re-recording.  I'm sure my drives are very fragmented and I needed to know of this little detail before I went and did what I done... I've been bad :P   Seems like way to do it would be, at least: delete and cleanup before you make more recordings.  I could be wrong... (I've been a little fuzzy on the reformat business.  Does that require a reinstall of the firmware?)

Fore warned is fore armed

I would assume that with any reformat, PC or not (JB3), you would need to reinstall the software/firmware.  Per the digi noise on a full JB3, I would also assume that you really need to reformat that piece.   ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com