Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Torrent download speed far outstripping upload  (Read 2453 times)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Torrent download speed far outstripping upload
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »
...with no active downloads.

Not sure what's going on here - I'm seeding about seven torrents of which two are being grabbed and my total upload speed is around 80-100kbs. Even though I am not downloading myself, the download speed is consistently double that.

I know that there is some sort of overhead/maintenance aspect that will maintain some sort of continuous download but surely not 200% of what is uploaded?

Have I ended up with some odd settings somewhere? Even though I think I've left everything on the default options...

I'm using Azereus and I think all of the torrents are on Dimeadozen, if that's relevant.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Torrent download speed far outstripping upload
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »
Your download speed is almost always going to be more than your upload. This is due to several factors. If you're downloading from a greater number of seeders than you are uploading to they have to ability to send you more data. Also your upload speed is controled by the peers connection speed downloading from you. You can't send more data to someone if they have a slow download connection.

Also unless you're on a symmetrical connection (ie equal upload/download speed), you will be limited on your upload. Most home connections will have more download bandwidth than upload.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »
Your download speed is almost always going to be more than your upload. This is due to several factors. If you're downloading from a greater number of seeders than you are uploading to they have to ability to send you more data. Also your upload speed is controled by the peers connection speed downloading from you. You can't send more data to someone if they have a slow download connection.

Also unless you're on a symmetrical connection (ie equal upload/download speed), you will be limited on your upload. Most home connections will have more download bandwidth than upload.

I think he's seeding - which means he shouldn't be showing any download speed at all...

Weird...bad tracker data?

What if you look at your network connection properties...can you see incoming activity there?

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
That's right - I'm seeding only - ie not downloading any torrents myself.

On restarting my client I'm getting an upload rate of 80+kB/s and download rate of 9-200 B/s 0 which looks much more reasonable.

Not sure if I misread B/s for kB/s on the download side before or if resetting Azereus solved the problem.

Appreciate the replies nonetheless.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
Small amounts of download speeds are normal. No idea what it is, but it should be a VERY SMALL fraction of your downloading bandwidth, so you shouldn't notice any slowdowns if you're downloading something else.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
what speed do you pay for from your isp?  with no torrents running do speedtest and post the results.

http://www.speedtest.net/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:42:31 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
For what it's worth, I see pretty similar results (as ratios, anyway) using Azureus as my client and Dime as the tracker (or any tracker really, I don't think Dime has anything to do with it, TTD and the other sites all behave pretty much the same as far as speeds go). If I am only uploading and I am the original seeder (so I have the whole source on my PC), I usually get around 160 kbps, this is with all other activity stopped on my client (no other uploads or downloads). When downloading something, if there are a lot of seeds, I can get around 1.3 mbps on the DL. Agree with what the other posters have said, most internet connections have more bandwidth for download than for upload. I'll have to run some speedtests, but I know they are signficantly higher than what I can get from Azureus (pretty sure I get at least 6 mbps on the download speed, if not more). There are a ton of settings that you can change in Azureus, I played around with some of them a while back and got some improvements but I'm still nowhere near using my full capability. But it doesn't bother me too much - that way Azureus can't eat up all my bandwidth and it's fast enough for me.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
Small amounts of download speeds are normal. No idea what it is, but it should be a VERY SMALL fraction of your downloading bandwidth, so you shouldn't notice any slowdowns if you're downloading something else.

This is likely the overhead of the BitTorrent protocol. Peers have to exchange information with each other.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
TWC in RDU chokes the UL speed... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com