Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 > HD-P2 Analog in question  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V3 > HD-P2 Analog in question
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 10:33:48 PM »
the V3's A/D (@ 24 bit) is very smooth and natural.  at first, its a bit underwhelming.  and then you realize why its underwhelming is because it's not adding anything (or taking anything away) from the signal.  just a very accurate representation of the original signal.

I frequently struggle to put into words what I hear and like in the V3's ADC.  I often get lost in trying to detail specific sonic characteristics, and at which I ultimately often fail.  Thanks for putting into words what I've so often failed to do in my own head (and by extension into words on TS).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline AlexG

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
Re: V3 > HD-P2 Analog in question
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
sorry guys, no comp yet.  we had it all set up, with V3 > analog > my HD-P2, and V3 > digi > Rob's HD-P2.
but the +19 dBu the unbalanced analog output (with XLR > RCA cables) when the V3's 0dBfs light went on was too much for the HD-P2 too handle.  without the attenuators, either I would have been clipping all over place, or Rob's V3 > digi > HD-P2 levels would have been very low.  so, I think we need to figure out what the max analog signal is to clip the HD-P2 when running line in.  and then get some appropriate attenuators to run between the V3 and the HD-P2, so we can do an accurate comp...

Interesting I did not have this problem when I went XLR-> RCA in.  I just had one light blinking on the V3 and the levels were fine on the P2.

were you running another deck from the digital output on the V3 ??  I could have lowered the gain on the V3 and I would have been fine on the HD-P2 (analog out from the V3).  but then the other HD-P2 (V3 > S/PDIF out > HD-P2) would have had much lower levels.
No I wasn't running another deck out of the digi out so now I understand the issue.  I think you are going to need two v3s to do this correctly.
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com