Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The True Enemy of The Taper  (Read 6257 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
The True Enemy of The Taper
« on: November 08, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »
Just going through my notes on some recordings that I did not like and share.

1. House concert, patio door
2. Concert in old auction hall, wall of windows
3. Small bar room performance, barman tossing bottle empties into wastebin

Glass, it seems, is the archenemy of the taperman.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:38:05 AM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: The True Enemy of The Taper
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
Highly reflective for treble. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
I would allow this, but submit unseen during setup circulating fans above cash registers as number 2    >:D
The sound of bottles going into trashcans is ever present on any Festival recording.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
I also hate those reusable thick plastic cups that PONG, PONG, PONG across the concrete floor. I guess the disposable ones aren't much better once they carpet the floor with a nice crunchy layer... 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »
From the world of classical concert recording: The person who wants to show off his expertise and his oh, so passionate feeling by starting to applaud demonstratively while the last note of a piece is still dying out.

What I wish I could convince such people of: Yes, some members of the audience don't know the piece as well as you do. In that case we should be especially happy and grateful that they've come to the concert and are listening, no? They may be legitimately unsure whether the piece has ended or not. That uncertainty is part of listening with an open mind, which should be treated as sacred. Don't use it as an opportunity to call attention to yourself.

And since I'm recording the concert, I resent what you've done because now every time someone listens to the recording, they will hear your egotistical display, and it will take them out of the moment that they're in, time after time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:12:05 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
@Dsatz: you're absolutely right. Also from a performer's point of you I have to say that probably the most thrilling moment, both for who plays and for who sits in the audience, is that second or two after the last note, before someone applaudes. Just to let the music go back to the silence from which it came.
As a listener I always wait a little bit before applauding; when I'm not so stroke by a performance I just wait because I think the performer will appreciate this. When something magic happens, I just couldn't move my hands for a while and "silence" is my first impulse.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »
That uncertainty is part of listening with an open mind, which should be treated as sacred. Don't use it as an opportunity to call attention to yourself.

I know this feeling too well. Yes the people who need to lead the audience in clapping makes for noisy recordings that make me cringe when listening on playback. As much as I frown on fellow audience members who want to signal to the room they know the song is about to end I also struggle with people who need to clap at every tempo change and/or people who need to clap after every single solo no matter how pedestrian or inconsequential to the performance. For example when a jazz quintet alternates solos among the 5 players and they may possibly run through their lineup twice during a song. That gives the over enthusiastic clapper 10 opportunities during that one particular song to smash their hands together. By the end of a set this clapper will have interrupted the listening experience way too many times. Its as if they do not understand all solos are not created equally and there is no need to signal approval to the soloist every time they step out to perform their part. Save the post solo clapping for the times when its truly warranted.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 07:46:42 PM »
perhaps if their parents had paid more attention to them?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
That uncertainty is part of listening with an open mind, which should be treated as sacred. Don't use it as an opportunity to call attention to yourself.

I know this feeling too well. Yes the people who need to lead the audience in clapping makes for noisy recordings

and then there are the woo-hooers
and the people who clap extra loud
and the people who try to impress with their loud whistling ability

all sociopaths, in my book ;)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 02:37:37 AM »
Leaving air at the coda, before applauding is pure joy for some pieces.
Others demand the television branded enthusiasm of immediate audience roar... like kids at a Disney concert.
But the worst, absolute worst, is the applause before the piece is over.

Someone used to mess with the audience by playing after the applause started... was it David Bromberg?
Some got the joke, others were embarrassed, confused...
I remember a performer... Bela Fleck? who after the applause said, actually there's more... and played the rest of the piece.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »

and then there are the woo-hooers
and the people who clap extra loud
and the people who try to impress with their loud whistling ability

all sociopaths, in my book ;)
TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!
 :smash: :smash: :smash:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »
^ And other tapers, it would seem (re: The True Enemy of The Taper)

The poignancy of the pregnant silent pause is commonly expressed across many cultures as some variant of "an angel passes over".

Un ange passe in French. In German- Ein engel flog durchs zimmer  (an angel flew across the room) – as collected by folklorist Reinhold Köhler in 1865. Jacob Grimm observed earlier, “If among a group of people there is suddenly a silence, it is said that an angel has passed through, or an angel is passing through, its sublime appearance silencing worldly noise.”

And this from F. Marion Crawford's A Tale of Modern India- "There are times when silence seems to be sacred, even unaccountably so. A feeling is in us that to speak would be almost a sacrilege, though we are unable to account in any way for the pause. At such moments every one seems instinctively to feel the same influence, and the first person who breaks the spell either experiences a sensation of awkwardness and says something very foolish, or, conscious of the odds against him, delivers himself of a sentiment of ponderous severity and sententiousness…"

I've known a close friend to whisper "Tedewapan" (< my 100% phonetic misspelling) silently to herself upon those moments, which I was told is form some Asian or Native American culture, meaning "spirit passes over" and expressing essentially the same.

By whatever name, the fragile lingering silence at the end of a performance is a magical thing, and almost a performance in itself - one that completely dissolves the 4th wall.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:06:23 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:03 AM »
Miles Davis - "It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play."

Miles Davis - "Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
I have seen Bela Fleck do the same thing. AT a Chris Thiele/Bela show a few years ago they each commented on the silences.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 06:26:01 AM »
Due to it's large size, the tapir has few natural predators in it's environment but it is known to be prey upon by wild cats such as tigers, jaguars and cougars along with large reptiles like crocodiles and even the odd snake
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline botz

• Taperssection Regular
    • .shn trades
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »
Friend Of Brad

Some dudebro wearing a backwards upside-down visor, two rows in front of you, and his friend Brad is a dozen rows behind you,.....and Friend Of Brad is trying to get his attention.   ".....Brad!!!.........YO BRAD!!!!.............HEY....BRAD!!!!!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com