Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Circulating multiple versions from multi-track masters?  (Read 3231 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Circulating multiple versions from multi-track masters?
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
Here's an interesting topic for taper-debate...

I attended a show at my local pub recently. I had something to do that night - and could not make it to the venue until show time.

No problem, my buddy was doing sound, and would have his 4 tack rig running.

After the show, I grabbed his card and transferred his files - (as there was some question as to which of us would have time to get the show mixed and LMA'd.)

As it turned out - he got his done an upped.

Question is - is there any sin in creating my "version" from the same files - and circulating that?

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Re: Circulating multiple versions from multi-track masters?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
I would say go for it.....particularly if it will be mastered differently. As long as its documented in the text file seems like no big deal.  Thats my .02
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
I would say go for it.....particularly if it will be mastered differently. As long as its documented in the text file seems like no big deal.  Thats my .02

What he said.  I think different people have different approaches in what they do with the files.  As long as you document it, and he's okay with it, I'd say go for it.

Marshall7

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Sure, why not? 

Offline NorseHorse

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Seeing Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
THIS IS YOUR FRIEND'S RECORDING.  Do not share this giving people the impression that this is your work.  Give credit where credit is due.  It would look something like this:

"Recorded by Friend.  Mixed by RunOnce"

"Friend - Recording Engineer
RunOnce - Mixing Engineer"

"Friend, tracking, RunOnce, mixing"

And please, please, please, ask your friend.  "Hi Friend, Thank you so much for letting me copy the files from the show.  They sound great!  Do you mind if I make a mix of the files and share with some folks?  Here's a sample.  I can credit you if you'd like.  Thanks again -- RunOnce."

runonce

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
THIS IS YOUR FRIEND'S RECORDING.  Do not share this giving people the impression that this is your work.  Give credit where credit is due.  It would look something like this:

"Recorded by Friend.  Mixed by RunOnce"

"Friend - Recording Engineer
RunOnce - Mixing Engineer"

"Friend, tracking, RunOnce, mixing"

And please, please, please, ask your friend.  "Hi Friend, Thank you so much for letting me copy the files from the show.  They sound great!  Do you mind if I make a mix of the files and share with some folks?  Here's a sample.  I can credit you if you'd like.  Thanks again -- RunOnce."

In this case ...that's not an issue...but for sure, i'd credit the mastering recordist.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
Pretty much what everyone else said, I don't see an issue with a documented source with credit to and permission from the original taper.

I guess it would also depend on the need for different matrices. No reason to have two 50/50 mixes mixed in Audacity with the only difference being the person that mixed it. That being said, some of us have more mixing abilities and and visions than others so that's another factor.

If you can improve it or produce something of equal quality, go for it.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.294 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com