Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam DR 40 issue

(1/2) > >>

ts:
I just picked one of these up new online for cheap. It’s the silver one and says Version 2 on the box. Firmware version is 2.40. Last available version is 2.50. Using a listed SD card. So the problem is, every time it’s turned on, after hitting enter for phantom power on, it shuts off. If I immediately start it up again, same steps, it stays on and acts normal. If I wait a while to restart, it will shutdown.

This is my fourth Tascam unit. I never had any issues with the previous three. Should I return this?

Hellion:
I had the same thing happen to me recently.  I used the new Duracell Optimum batteries and it would start and then shut down when I turned on the phantom powder.  I bought a new set of batteries and the problem went away.  It was the second package of the Optimum batteries.  Both sets were bad.  A close look showed signs of leakage from the new batteries.   

hoppedup:
I had this issue with a DR-60D recently, so I switched over to the DR-40. Same issue. So I switched the USB battery. Same issue. Turns out I had a bad USB cable.

ts:
So I switched out the AA’s and problem is gone. I had put in a set of lithiums initially. Maybe it doesn’t like lithiums? No issues at all with USB power.

cd2go:
Just saw this post and I've had the same issue while using Energizer lithium’s and phantom. Seems like they have addressed this in the ‘new’ DR-40X machine, as quoted in the firmware notes:

V1.02 fixes

- When operating on AA batteries, if phantom power was turned on, the unit would shut down on rare occasions.
  This has been fixed.

As a workaround for my deck, I plug in mics, switch phantom off, power up the deck and put the machine in internal mic mode, switch on phantom, then put the mode back to external (mic) input. Works every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version