Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable stuck?  (Read 15126 times)

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
Cable stuck?
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
Ok...this is strange.  I have an XLR connector stuck in the back of my pre's input.  The input is a locking type....little "push" button to release.  It's an RNP8380.  The connect is a new stubby neutrik.  It won't budge!  Other channel unlocked fine. 

Any ideas? 

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: Cable stuck?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
The stubby connector is male, right?  Maybe slightly squeeze the chassis of the male connector with a set of pliers.  It's possible the chassis is not perfectly round and is stuck.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »
The stubby connector is male, right?  Maybe slightly squeeze the chassis of the male connector with a set of pliers.  It's possible the chassis is not perfectly round and is stuck.

Ya male.  I will try that when I get home.  It's a WTF situation right now.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
once you get it out try it in the other side and you will know if its the connector or the plug or hopefully it was just a fluke
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
once you get it out try it in the other side and you will know if its the connector or the plug or hopefully it was just a fluke

I'd first visually inspect it, mate it with the female end of a few cables first. Then bring the recorder into the mix. If it's out of whack, I'd rather pull to xlr's apart.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »

I'd first visually inspect it, mate it with the female end of a few cables first. Then bring the recorder into the mix. If it's out of whack, I'd rather pull to xlr's apart.

Ok...will do.  I didn't get a shot at it last night...buys watching Bruins crap themselves.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
Did you by any chance leave your gear unattended for any length of time at the last show you recorded ?    >:D
retired

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
Did you by any chance leave your gear unattended for any length of time at the last show you recorded ?    >:D

Superglue!!!  I knew you were up to no good!!

No luck getting this out.  I don't think it's the neutrik....look like the release on that lock is really stuck.  I've tried coaxing a few different ways..pressure no pressure, etc. This ever happen to any one....?  May have to take the pre apart?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »

No luck getting this out.  I don't think it's the neutrik....look like the release on that lock is really stuck.  I've tried coaxing a few different ways..pressure no pressure, etc. This ever happen to any one....?  May have to take the pre apart?

If it's the spring latch you could try reaching in and releasing it with a paper clip.  Look at the free one to get a better idea of where to apply the pressure with the clip.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »

If it's the spring latch you could try reaching in and releasing it with a paper clip.  Look at the free one to get a better idea of where to apply the pressure with the clip.
Very tight clearance....but I will try a teeny screwdriver

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
No go with the jeweler's screwdriver.  Anyway...I talked to Mark from FMR.  Nice guy.  He said there was an issue with a run of XLR connectors they had used....so that's the issue.  I'm going to send back w/ cable attached, to get them swapped out. 

Thanks, everyone, for your input. 

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
Happy to help!  ;D
retired

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
Happy to help!  ;D

You're indispensable.  Well...at least I can use the pre on Fri night.

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Just wanted to report back....RNP8380 is fixed and back in service.  No issues dealing with Mark a FMR Audio.  The XLR connectors are replaced and they even swapped the gain knobs with a newer improved set.  Good experience.  Great Pre. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com