Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114924 times)

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
So did a Punk club show on Sunday.  For some bands I had to record with the pad on and had to set it at .05-1 on the "knob".    Anyone with more tech knowledge know what would happen if we just switched to line input with the phantom power on?  The difference in signal level seems like it would be fine for something like that, my only question is about the input impedance.

Per the recorder specs:

MIC/LINE IN jacks (XLR support phantom power)
Connectors:
XLR-3-31
(1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
6.3mm (1/4") standard TRS jacks
(Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
When MIC input source selected
Maximum input level: +2 dBu (PAD on)
Minimum input level: −70.5 dBu (PAD off)
Input impedance
i XLR input: 2 kΩ or more
i TRS input: 20 kΩ or more
When LINE input source selected
Maximum input level: +24 dBu
Nominal input level: +4 dBu
Input impedance: 20 kΩ or more

I'm guessing the unit looking for 10x the impedance could be an issue with self noise but otherwise... not sure.

Guess I could just try it, running external attenuators seems silly after spending so much $$ slimming everything down.   ;)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
So did a Punk club show on Sunday.  For some bands I had to record with the pad on and had to set it at .05-1 on the "knob".    Anyone with more tech knowledge know what would happen if we just switched to line input with the phantom power on?  The difference in signal level seems like it would be fine for something like that, my only question is about the input impedance.

Per the recorder specs:

MIC/LINE IN jacks (XLR support phantom power)
Connectors:
XLR-3-31
(1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
6.3mm (1/4") standard TRS jacks
(Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
When MIC input source selected
Maximum input level: +2 dBu (PAD on)
Minimum input level: −70.5 dBu (PAD off)
Input impedance
i XLR input: 2 kΩ or more
i TRS input: 20 kΩ or more
When LINE input source selected
Maximum input level: +24 dBu
Nominal input level: +4 dBu
Input impedance: 20 kΩ or more

I'm guessing the unit looking for 10x the impedance could be an issue with self noise but otherwise... not sure.

Guess I could just try it, running external attenuators seems silly after spending so much $$ slimming everything down.   ;)
I'm not sure if I fully understand your comments, but as I think you are noting the DR100MKIII has (like many other recorders or pre-amps have in one way shape or form) has a mic pad for recording at a lower attenuation. This is specifically designed for most situations where you would be recording live amplified audience recordings. I do not know if or how much it raises the noise floor, but for a live loud band, it would not be an issue. If I use the deck, I always have to have this set or my recording will distort or come close. Using an external attenuator is not necessary nor would the recording be better than using the built in mic pad. I'd recommend using the mic pad which is a built in attenuator designed for exactly the situation you are recording in, that is what it was designed for. The higher attenuation is for much softer recording like nature or acoustic music.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »

I'm not sure if I fully understand your comments, but as I think you are noting the DR100MKIII has (like many other recorders or pre-amps have in one way shape or form) has a mic pad for recording at a lower attenuation. This is specifically designed for most situations where you would be recording live amplified audience recordings. I do not know if or how much it raises the noise floor, but for a live loud band, it would not be an issue. If I use the deck, I always have to have this set or my recording will distort or come close. Using an external attenuator is not necessary nor would the recording be better than using the built in mic pad. I'd recommend using the mic pad which is a built in attenuator designed for exactly the situation you are recording in, that is what it was designed for. The higher attenuation is for much softer recording like nature or acoustic music.

I do use the pad.  But even with the pad engaged I could only use the record level at somewhere between 0.5 and 3 on the dial.  That's not really ideal considering a range of 31.5.  I was simply musing that the difference between mic in with the pad engaged at the extreme and line in is the difference between +2dB and +4dB so signal isn't that far off.  Theoretically you could run mics in that situation with the unit selected to line in and gain a lot more headroom BUT there is a difference in load expected which I'm not entirely sure how that's going to effect things.  From what I've read it increases the noise floor but I wasn't sure if that was the only issue.  I guess I'll just try testing it at another similar situation on stuff I don't care about as much.  Another option would be to use the unit at 24V phantom to see if that would be enough to power AKG capsules using a PFA which would lower the output of the mics but I'm guessing would impact performance.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2020, 06:16:29 AM »
^ If you can still use phantom power when the input is set to "line" (I think so, but I am not certain), I would try that. Per the specs, you'll get a 22 dB higher maximum input level compared to mic-in with the pad.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2020, 04:58:40 PM »
How are folks powering this thing for a festival?  The internal battery and swapping some NiMH batteries every 2 hours?  Or just using any one of the ubiquitous 5V battery packs.  I like the former idea just for the battery meter but it seems quite tiresome.

Also... it seem the consensus is any PA style music is needing the 20dB pad for most condenser microphones, right?

I've used it w/ phantom off, and got 5+ hours on the internal lithium only.  It never touched the AA's.  Impressive.  For a festie, a pair of Lithium AA's, coupled with the internal bat,  should power it all day.  Mind you, phantom off in this example.

Picked one of these up from a fellow taper here. Been using the DR-100mkII recorder for the past 5 years.....wondering what the Battery time is with Phantom Power On to charge 2 External Mic's ? Will probably be using an external PowerPack for Piece of Mind, just curious how long the internal batteries might hold.

Looking forward to working with this new upgraded unit later this month.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
How are folks powering this thing for a festival?  The internal battery and swapping some NiMH batteries every 2 hours?  Or just using any one of the ubiquitous 5V battery packs.  I like the former idea just for the battery meter but it seems quite tiresome.

Also... it seem the consensus is any PA style music is needing the 20dB pad for most condenser microphones, right?

I've used it w/ phantom off, and got 5+ hours on the internal lithium only.  It never touched the AA's.  Impressive.  For a festie, a pair of Lithium AA's, coupled with the internal bat,  should power it all day.  Mind you, phantom off in this example.

Picked one of these up from a fellow taper here. Been using the DR-100mkII recorder for the past 5 years.....wondering what the Battery time is with Phantom Power On to charge 2 External Mic's ? Will probably be using an external PowerPack for Piece of Mind, just curious how long the internal batteries might hold.

Looking forward to working with this new upgraded unit later this month.

I’ve gotten about 4.5 hours in that configuration on internal lithium battery only. That was at 24/192. If you do 24/48, you’ll probably get more time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:36:49 AM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #262 on: September 21, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
^^^ perfect, that is what I was hoping for.

Second Query - On my Tascam DR-100mkii there is a Gain Switch on the underside of the unit -> L - M - H options - I usually go M and watch my levels.

Is there a similar Gain option setting for the mkIII unit ?

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Second Query - On my Tascam DR-100mkii there is a Gain Switch on the underside of the unit -> L - M - H options - I usually go M and watch my levels.

Is there a similar Gain option setting for the mkIII unit ?

No.

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #264 on: October 05, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
Something I learned this weekend with this new deck......SBD Source was coming out hot so I turned the levels all the way down to 0.0 and source still came through.

Second set - the Sound guy was able to adjust his output down and came out a little more even. I used the first track from my AKG recording in place of the SBD options who's levels were through the roof. Still getting used to each other, but enjoying this solid deck as my second SBD option at local outdoor music gatherings

https://archive.org/details/DeadonLive2020-10-03.SBD.Flac24

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2021, 08:22:40 AM »
The DR-100 mkIII has been discontinued. I just recommended it to a new member here, and the only retailer I see selling it currently is Amazon.

It's too bad to see this one go, and I hope it will be replaced soon. The closest equivalent in features seems to be the DR-40X, but the distortion and S/N figures are not nearly as good as the 100mkIII.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
Pity, there’s no real alternative.
Not expecting Tascam to come up with something in the same league.
At least, I got one on time 😎

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #267 on: August 23, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »
I got a unit from Amazon and ran it for the first time last night, running nBob Gefell active setup straight into the XLR inputs. But I was overloading even with the gain turned all the way down. Only after I engaged the mic pad did things work correctly.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet of settings for this kind of recording? Maybe I missed a step.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »
^ Per Tascam's website, the maximum input level for the mic input is -14 dBu with the pad engaged. I don't know how sensitive your mics are, but that could be an issue if they are sensitive and the music is loud. See the table on the Sengpiel site.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
Appreciate the info. Thanks it's the M21 hyper cap. Can't imagine it's that sensitive.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.234 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com