Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balance adjustment issue  (Read 2059 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Balance adjustment issue
« on: December 12, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »
I have a stereo recording of violin and piano, in which the instruments are roughly centered, but the violin sound too low.  IZotope Rx 10's Music Rebalance, at the elementary level I have tried it, does not help separating the stems or making the violin louder.  Does anyone have any suggestions of software or how-to instructions to accomplish this?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Balance adjustment issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »
Tough one to try and tease apart in regard to frequency range as well as spatial position overlap. That leaves dynamics..

Rather than targeting either instrument individually, it may help to reduce dynamics to increase the perceptual level of the violin relative to the piano.  Classic parallel compression will bring up the details without affecting the dynamic peaks, and will tend to sound less obviously compressor-squashed, but will also bring up the noise floor and ambient/audience noise details.  Multi-band compression might work.  I've had good results with Voxengo's Soniformer plugin that is a somewhat unique take on which incorporates 64 bands using a unique user interface to manage it by drawing curves across all bands.  https://www.voxengo.com/product/soniformer/

There are tools emerging that separate sounds based on their attack envelope, separating transients from sustained sound. A link to one of them was posted at TS within the last couple weeks, which is the only reason I mention it, but I can't remember offhand what it's called. Could potentially be applicable if one instrument is playing staccato and the other legato, but it seems a reach to me.

I suspect parallel comp, mulitband comp, or some combination of the two are likely to be your best bet.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 06:14:55 PM »
Violin should be easy to see in the spectragram, you might be able to select it and use the gain module.  May be a huge amount of work though.   Hopefully 'find similar' works.  Music rebalance will put these both in the same category, so probably not much that can be done with it. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 07:46:23 PM »
This is a tough problem. In my experience, Music Rebalance only works decently on recordings that were studio multitracked. What mic arrangement did you use for capture?

Besides the thoughtful suggestions posted already, you might try running it through a mid-side plugin and EQing the mid and sides separately. Maybe an upper-treble boost on the mid channel to give the violin transients more bite?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 11:23:17 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will not have time to fool around too much until after the holidays, but will follow up and post if I have any luck.  And yes, iZotope Music Rebalance puts everything in the same bin, and the frequency overlap is total.  I can see and hear the two separate instruments, but trying to circle things by hand for 40 minutes of program looks like an infinite effort.  Training an AI to do it would be something!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com