Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sennheiser Active Setup  (Read 88036 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: New Sennheiser Active Setup
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »
You should demand 5 pairs of the 5m remote cables as compensation for your delays.   >:D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
I have not gone that far but I am well aware that there are 5 people here ready to jump if I can strike a deal...

Will do what I can.

John - have you been out with them yet?

CQBErt
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
Yeah, did a local gig last Saturday.  The room was awful, the only place to set up was on the stack, but the band wasn't running everything through the PA.  So I had one mic on the stack for vocals, the other pointed towards the stage for guitars, bass, and drums. 

I was actually surprised at how not-bad it sounded, though. ;)

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
Cool...  hopefully next time you are out you will get a better opportunity to let them shine..

CQBert

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
Yeah Saturday I have Mraz at the Norva, which has a kickass system.  Should make for a good tape.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »
Here we go....  Update...

My dealer had lunch with one of the Senn National Guys and explained what has been happening.

I have been asked to provide a letter highlighting my issues to go back to Germany...

I will cover the points professionally while still communicating the frustrations of the purchase process surrounding the accessories that go with these new mics.

Progress is slow but steady...

Stay tuned.

CQBert

thanks!

and thanks to John and Mike for offering to help also :)

now here comes my rant

I'm not really sure what Sennheiser actually needs from us.  I ordered custom made cables (5 meters) back in December and paid for them at that time.  I was told that custom made 5 meter cables wouldn't be an issue, I would just have to pay the cost of 10 meter cables and a $35 custom order fee and it would delay my order arriving to late Jan/early Feb.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that my cables arrived in the USA but they were 10 meter cables, not the 5 meter cables I ordered and have already paid for.  At this point I can't even get a straight answer on when or if I'm even going to get my 5 meter cables that I ordered.

All I'm looking for at this point is a straight answer from someone :)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
I have just heard back from Mike Pappas... 

They are all at NAB currently... I was promised an answer by Monday... 

My Dealer is working with his bosses...

We will get this resolved!!   :sick:

CQBert

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2008, 03:15:35 AM »
I cant wait to hear some damn Senn 8040>7xx recordings :) Are the Hypers and omnis even available yet or did they just produce the cards thus far so they could release them quicker? This new active system was def a good move by Senn to stay in the game while there are so many new and amazing technical products out there nowadays :)

I def think these have ALOT of potential. I havent heard but one or two recordings w/ these so far tho. I did just d/l NOLAfishwaters 3/31 moe recording. I am going to listen thru FB2K RIGHT NOW while Im thinking about it.

So, I know its not always wise to compare one mic's sound to another's, but Im VERY CURIOUS where you guys think these stand in comparison to the big dawgs we use on a regular basis? Do they have a Schoeps-like sound w/ out the same bottom end? Are they more detailed and natural sounding like MBHO's are? Or do they have their own bite like the AKG 480's do? Or are they just a damn fine and smooth mic ala the Neumann 18x/akxx w/ a warmer tone? Or are they very neutral and almost clinical sounding like teh DPA's are? I know, I know, listen for myself and make my own judgements, but Im just curious what yinz that have actually ahve used them think. Anyone can stream a recording from the LMA and get an idea of how they sound, but you guys are the ones that are at the shows and know how the room sounded that particular nite. Are they neutral and detailed and less forgiving in a shitty room, or are they warmer and smoother and more forgiving?

Thanks in advance guys. The one RRFB(I think thats what show it was), you know, the first one Crumbo did, I thought could have DEFINITELY sounded better, but there are so many variables on any given nite of live location recording like us tapers deal w/ from nite to nite, that I surely cant dismiss them after that one recording. Something just sounded unnatural about them that I couldnt pinpoint. Maybe he ran the HPF on ther v3 or something? I cant remember since its been awhile.

But I like their look and their size is a HUGE PLUS since 'actives' really arent needed since the capsule+body is so damn tiny. I am def not straying away from teh MBHO sound for a LONG TIME, but maybe one day I'll get bacvk into 4-chan recoreding and get a pair of these tiny suckers. Time will tell. Hell, Im still AMAZED that ALOT more of us tapers dont use MB/MBHO's. I mean, I just dont get it. Their capsule selection is maybe only second to Schoeps and they ahve a VERY smooth and detailed sound in such a small package. I have been doing ALOT of listening to my 481/3>722 recordings versus my MBHO Cards/Hypers>722 recordings, and while both sound AMAZING thru my 722, I def have to give the edge to the MBHO's. I never thought Id say that but damnit its the truth in my eyes. Not to mention the smaller size and convenience of running the MBHO's as 'actives' and its super sweet having all 3 KwonBars for teh Ho's(DINa/DIN/NOS) and having EVERYTHING pre-wired and ready to record. I just clamp my clamp to my stand, pop in the screw adapter for my windtech clamp, and hit record and Im done. Its SOOOOO nice having the KA500 caps attached to my DINa KwonBar at ALL TIMES. It makes recording setting up ALOT quicker and also makes transporting everything so easy since the screens are on teh caps, and the caps are attached to the Kwonbar, and the kwonbar is at all times in my Shure a53m donut shock, and my hi ho custom silver 'actives'(mini-xlr's) are always connected to my caps in the kwonbar so I just clamp and hit record. I'll snap pictures tonite actually of my newest bag setup. I got a Mountainsmith Cairn II for free, i just paid shipping. But the 722+MBHO setup fits sooo nicely in there now that I took out my plano bait box and put bubble wrap around my 603 A bodies to slim down on spacve and bulkiness. and since everything in my bag stays connected at ALL TIMES, i can get away w/ that w/ out damaging my 603a bodies.

Id LOVE to see pics of how you guys run the Senn 8040's and the 7xx recorders just to give me some visual pleasure :)

I also think that running 8040>7xx will yield GREAT results. I havent really heard ANY mic that I didnt like thru the 7xx series. Obviously some are better matches than others but overall, the 7xx preamps/ADC are TOP NOTCH IMO and running 3 or 4 diff external preamps before I realized I liked the 7xx preamps better is a sign right there. But enough fluffing the 7xx. I think its a very detailed yet warmish sounding preamp/ADC and should def be a good comparison to give you an idea of the 8040's characteristics and overall sound since alot of us have heard EVERY MIC>7xx. I also think that its pretty dope that at least 3 of yinz are already running 8040>7xx ;D Go team Sennheiser/Sound Devices ;D

Sorry for the super long post and slight thread highjack and overall fluffing he 7xx and my MBHO's. Id love to hear what yinz have to say about the 8040>7xx sound tho. Now get your asses out there and start recording so I can hear some samples damnit ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2008, 04:45:51 AM »
Are the Hypers and omnis even available yet or did they just produce the cards thus far so they could release them quicker? This new active system was def a good move by Senn to stay in the game while there are so many new and amazing technical products out there nowadays :)

Yes the hypers and omnis*are* available - they were released at the came time as the cardioids.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2008, 05:15:39 AM »
I got my Sennheiser shock mount for my 8040 in finally. Now I have to have a job that requires it, so I can really test it out.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2008, 06:39:16 AM »
Bean -
Right now I'm running a "temp" setup until I can get my remote cables.  Ideally I'd like to be running similarly to you - everything pretty much set up and ready to go in the bag.  I really want to use the Kwon bars as well.  Right now I have an AKG stereo bar with each mic in a Shure A53m.  I've only run with them once and I'm not real fond of that stereo bar.  I'll give you some pictures and a bit more detail come Sunday (have a show at a venue I know well on Saturday).

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #341 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:01 AM »
Bean -
Right now I'm running a "temp" setup until I can get my remote cables.  Ideally I'd like to be running similarly to you - everything pretty much set up and ready to go in the bag.  I really want to use the Kwon bars as well.  Right now I have an AKG stereo bar with each mic in a Shure A53m.  I've only run with them once and I'm not real fond of that stereo bar.  I'll give you some pictures and a bit more detail come Sunday (have a show at a venue I know well on Saturday).

+T, Thanks alot John! Well, both John's actually :)

Yeah, if you can get the KwonBars to work w/ them, your be all set. Youd just need (1) Shure A53M donut and the DINa and DIN KwonBars and youd be good to go. If it works w/ the KwonBars(which ones are you going to try? The Neumann or the Schoeps or the MBHO ones?) if I were you, I'd get all 3 of them(DINa/DIN/NOS) so you could try diff things and be ready for any situation. I never thought Id use teh NOS bar w/ hypers, but i was def impressed, and I will be doing that ALOT MORE when Im very close to the stage. Most folks would run Cards or Subcards in DIN or NOS, but being the hyper freak I am, I run hypers in those close FOB sweet spots, as long as im not too close :) Its funny, because alot of the time when I setup w/ other tapers, I often hear them talking to one another saying that youd have to be crazy to run hypers that close(RAQ NYE 2006 at the Visulite on the first drink rail comes to mind) and I must say, I wouldve have ratehr ran ny other capsules those 2 nites, and the recordings have been highly praised by RAQ fan since Jan 1st, 2007 :) So dont be arfrad to try diff things. If I listened to other tapers all of the time like alot of tapers do, I would have never discovered the beauty of running hypers/FOB, where everyone else runs cards or subcards :)

So, how much are pairs of the hypers and omnis? Are they realistic, or are they like $1,500.00/pair? Im still wondering what KwonBar youre going to try to use. I wish the Cascademedia.net was stilla round. Thats the only place to get them short of dealing directly w/ Robert, but you could at least get a visual for your idea. I think the Neumann ones would work because of the way they are slotted and how they sit back in the kwonbar, whereas the schoeps and MBHO ones, the capsules sit at the face of the kwonbar and sit flush w/ that, instead of sitting back into teh kwonbar like teh Neumann ones do! Good luck my friend. I saure hope you can get that to work. Dealing w/ just ONE (1) TINY shure a53m and (3) KwonBars is SOOOO much easier than anything I was used to w/ my 480's ;D I keep the caps on teh DINA bar and the DIN and NOS bars stash easil;y in my Mountainsmith Cairn II.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #342 on: April 17, 2008, 11:00:08 AM »
Bean -

+T, Thanks alot John! Well, both John's actually :)

Yeah, if you can get the KwonBars to work w/ them, your be all set. Youd just need (1) Shure A53M donut and the DINa and DIN KwonBars and youd be good to go. If it works w/ the KwonBars(which ones are you going to try? The Neumann or the Schoeps or the MBHO ones?) if I were you, I'd get all 3 of them(DINa/DIN/NOS) so you could try diff things and be ready for any situation. I never thought Id use teh NOS bar w/ hypers, but i was def impressed, and I will be doing that ALOT MORE when Im very close to the stage. Most folks would run Cards or Subcards in DIN or NOS, but being the hyper freak I am, I run hypers in those close FOB sweet spots, as long as im not too close :) Its funny, because alot of the time when I setup w/ other tapers, I often hear them talking to one another saying that youd have to be crazy to run hypers that close(RAQ NYE 2006 at the Visulite on the first drink rail comes to mind) and I must say, I wouldve have ratehr ran ny other capsules those 2 nites, and the recordings have been highly praised by RAQ fan since Jan 1st, 2007 :) So dont be arfrad to try diff things. If I listened to other tapers all of the time like alot of tapers do, I would have never discovered the beauty of running hypers/FOB, where everyone else runs cards or subcards :)

So, how much are pairs of the hypers and omnis? Are they realistic, or are they like $1,500.00/pair? Im still wondering what KwonBar youre going to try to use. I wish the Cascademedia.net was stilla round. Thats the only place to get them short of dealing directly w/ Robert, but you could at least get a visual for your idea. I think the Neumann ones would work because of the way they are slotted and how they sit back in the kwonbar, whereas the schoeps and MBHO ones, the capsules sit at the face of the kwonbar and sit flush w/ that, instead of sitting back into teh kwonbar like teh Neumann ones do! Good luck my friend. I saure hope you can get that to work. Dealing w/ just ONE (1) TINY shure a53m and (3) KwonBars is SOOOO much easier than anything I was used to w/ my 480's ;D I keep the caps on teh DINA bar and the DIN and NOS bars stash easil;y in my Mountainsmith Cairn II.

I haven't worked it out yet, mostly because I don't have the cables yet.  I plan on working with Robert to see which ones they'll fit in, but I haven't talked to him about it yet.  I was hoping I could either send him the cables or he could send me some samples of each kind to see which one(s) worked.  If they do work I plan on getting all three.

And I'm not sure you can order just the "caps."  But since the caps are really the entire mic anyway (minus an XLR adapter) I'm not sure there'd be much if any discount over ordering a new stereo set...

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
And I'm not sure you can order just the "caps."  But since the caps are really the entire mic anyway (minus an XLR adapter) I'm not sure there'd be much if any discount over ordering a new stereo set...

Yes - you *can* get the microphone heads on their own - MKHC 8020, MKHC 8040, MKHC 8050 - but they are singles only and not available as stereo sets.

Offline timP

« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
these are prime candidates for the vark bar
http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_4.html

I snagged one used in YS and it is perfect and low pro for my AKG caps
?>FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com