Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Butterworth Scientific Filter  (Read 1395 times)

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Butterworth Scientific Filter
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
I came across guysonic's high pass filter recommendation many times on board:

"Using CEP and likely same in Audition, I like Scientific Filters choosing 1 Pole High pass (6 dB/Octave) Butterworth as it leaves everything above the pole frequency untouched and has smoothest natural bass reduction sound to my ears.   Has smooth phase that leaves percussion bass transient (attack sounds) in very good shape.

Good working frequency range of -3dB pole for music starts as low as 40 cycles and extends as high as 250 cycles in my experience.   I find 85 - 150 cycles is right-on most of the time for pop/rock using flat to 3 - to- 24,000 cycles baffled omni mic array.

Using a different omni-to-directional type mic in whatever array configuration should not change preferring the Butterworth HP filter, only maybe a downward shift of most useful -3 dB pole frequencies for pop/rock in the 40 -110 cycle range."

My two questions are:

1) I have both CEP and Audition available. Can anyone please indicate the exact the presets/choices one has to tick in the Effects>scientific filters>butterworth box to transale these advises?

2) I'm mostly interested to reduce the booming effect of church organs (same is created with choral vocals sometimes) as in the sample here attached.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I5RG0KIL
Please advise which settings to use.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:59:00 AM by pool »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com