Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad JB3 and Win7?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline BradM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Nomad JB3 and Win7?
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
My previous computer (which ran WinXP and had a Soundblaster Audigy) died this week, and I got a replacement that's running Win7 with an on-board sound card. What are my options as far as connecting my Creative Nomad JB3? I don't have a Firewire (SB1394) port on the new machine, so I'm resigned to use USB. I was using Creative Play Center (yeah, yeah, I know), which I know has been discontinued, so I'll probably get Notmad Explorer, but I'm worried about the drivers. Are Win7 drivers for available from Creative or anyone else?

Thanks,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

runonce

Re: Nomad JB3 and Win7?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
My previous computer (which ran WinXP and had a Soundblaster Audigy) died this week, and I got a replacement that's running Win7 with an on-board sound card. What are my options as far as connecting my Creative Nomad JB3? I don't have a Firewire (SB1394) port on the new machine, so I'm resigned to use USB. I was using Creative Play Center (yeah, yeah, I know), which I know has been discontinued, so I'll probably get Notmad Explorer, but I'm worried about the drivers. Are Win7 drivers for available from Creative or anyone else?

Thanks,
Brad

I have yet to hear of a Win7/JB3 success story...

Is your old machine TOTALLY dead...?

Id look at rebuilding the old box with a Linux distro like "Linux Mint" - install Gnomad2 and you're good to go. (although you'll be limited to USB)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
and the usb on the JB3 is USB 1 which is slow as molasses

edit:  what version of 7 do you have?  if it has the virtual xp then you can go that route.  if not as far as the Linux thing goes in theory you could just make a live boot disc and then while in Linux use the above mentioned program.  still would be usb 1 though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:56:52 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
actually I guess unless the program is part of the linux cd distribution then you wouldn't be able to install it running from a live disc. 
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:55:01 AM »
According to the documentation, I've got "SO-WIN 7 HOME PR 3MS WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 32 BIT OEM", but I have no idea whether it includes a virtual WinXP facility or not. Does it? If so, then could I install the drivers and the Nomad applications under it?

Thanks for the all the help so far.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
First up, I think it's the motherboard that went on the old machine; in fact, the motherboard it had was itself a replacement, as the old one died earlier this year (and the shop I bought it from, in December, 2002, had one of the same model around the shop). So I've gone the full-on replacement route, though I'm starting to regret it a bit.

I'm not down totally, though: I installed the latest drivers from Creative, and tried Nomtmad Explorer, and when I plug in the Nomad via USB, Explorer at least gets me the list of WAV files that I know are on it. Notmad isn't fully activated, so I'm waiting on an activation code with fingers crossed.

The Linux Live CD idea sounds good; I'll look into getting one of those burned.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

runonce

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
Forgot to mention,,,

For linux - you'll have to stick with the lucid lynx series for Ubuntu based distros...(10.4) (Mint 9)

For some reason - they removed gnomad2 support from the 10.10 series. (shame on you linux!)

Some of the info in this thread seems to indicate that it can be installed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1595780

For me, it was easier just to go back to mint9.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
According to the documentation, I've got "SO-WIN 7 HOME PR 3MS WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 32 BIT OEM", but I have no idea whether it includes a virtual WinXP facility or not. Does it?

The WinXP Virtual Machine is available on Win7 Pro and Ultimate only.  Home Premium is not supposed to have that functionality.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »
I finally bit the bullet and went to a used computer store ("The Trailing Edge") and picked up a WinXP machine. The Creative s/w installed hitchelessly, and I can transfer stuff off of the Nomad to it (albeit via USB, but that's not a big deal to me). From there, a USB thumb drive conveys the waves to my main PC.

Now to get to the backlog...

Thanks for all the help, everybody.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com