Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky  (Read 21878 times)

Offline SpokenMagicSpells

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
Hi!

My R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky. Probably, rubber particles are starting to dissolve. Is there any way of stopping dissolution, or to recover from this situation?

Thanks.
Best regards.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:49:13 PM by SpokenMagicSpells »
Hey DC++ hub owners: SHN is dying... Go FLAC!

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
Have your ever read the book or watched the movie The Andromeda Strain? ;)

That material probably has a plasticizer in it.  It can react if in contact with certain other plastics, or fluids.  You often see it with old toys.  Maybe the formulation was off, bad batch.  Yours is the first report of this I've seen posted to TS.

Is the entire rubber surface reacting the same way, or just spots?

Maybe edirol will send you a replacement.  It seems like something they should replace for free, even out of warranty.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
Have your ever read the book or watched the movie The Andromeda Strain? ;)
No, unfortunately no. :-)

That material probably has a plasticizer in it.  It can react if in contact with certain other plastics, or fluids.  You often see it with old toys.  Maybe the formulation was off, bad batch.  Yours is the first report of this I've seen posted to TS.
I'm surprised.

That's the 2nd device to suffer from this problem. The first one was a joystick (or a game controller). It seems to me that this is a "feature" of this kind of material.
I used my recorder intensively for about 2 years, recording from 2 to 3 shows per month. Unfortunatelly I stopped to record at this rate, recording only 1 or 2 shows per year. I guess that this kind of material doesn't like to be kept on lockers.

Is the entire rubber surface reacting the same way, or just spots?
The entire rubber is compromised.

Maybe edirol will send you a replacement.  It seems like something they should replace for free, even out of warranty.
That's a possibility, but I would like to try something before. Any clues?

Thanks.
Regards.

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
I dislike devices with rubberized surfaces because this seems to be the eventual fate of them all.  In the past with similar items I have sucessfully rubbed off all the sticky rubber residue with elbow grease, leaving only the hard plastic surface, but that can be a pain.  I've used a solvent soaked rag to help remove it as well, trying to remember what, nothing strong enough to soften the hard plastic underneath, probably denatured alcohol.  That was easier and completely removed the sticky gunk.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Sweat, salts and oils can break down rubber, often like this.  I don't know if your recorder was exposed to sweaty hands. Though dry hands that were previously sweaty might even do it.  Just a possibility.

Anything you do might compromise getting help from edirol.  I would consider covering it with gaffer tape. I put pieces of it on some of my gear to make it easier to grip. A skin style cover might also be a work-around.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
Could be your environment - Do you live close to the ocean?  Do you live close to any manufacturing plants?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »
The actual cause is unimportant.  A handheld recorder should be able to withstand being handheld in a sweaty hand, and exposure to normal atmospheric conditions that humans live in. The exterior surface should not be expected to be the weakest link upon exposure to normal humidity, sweat, air, etc. in the environments we live and work in.

Hey industrial designers! Stop using this crappy rubber coating stuff! Your valuation of immediate hands-on tactile feel over function and is at best short-sighted for your product's longevity, and at worst planned obsolesence. 

The two original R-09s with no rubber coating that I bought 6 years ago are still looking good and working fine(the input jacks on the early ones were weak, but the battery door which worried everyone far more at first never broke on any of them that I've heard about).  The little Turtle Beach Audio Advantage USB soundcard I bought at the same time had it's tactile rubber coating go horribly sticky over the entire surface in 3 years.  It was in an airconditioned house, hardly ever handled.  I speculate normal quanities of ozone in the air attacks the rubber, just like old car tires.

I never upgraded my R-09s to the HR version, and the rubber coating on them bothered me from the start.  I knew it would only be time before it went sticky.

Designers, please.  Don't use it on anything that isn't disposable!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:44:35 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
Maybe something like http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TECHSPRAY-1612-2SQ-/20-1890 .

Maybe, but I would like to be sure that this won't damage my device even more...

Thanks, anyway.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
Could be your environment - Do you live close to the ocean?  Do you live close to any manufacturing plants?

No. I live in Brazil, in a residential area, far away from the ocean, protected by mountains (sort of), and about 750m of altitude :-)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
BTW, it was that Turtle Beach USB dongle I cleaned the goo off with by using alcohol (I'm pretty sure). I didn't care if it killed that and was going to toss it if it didn't work, but it cleaned up perfectly to a clean hard black plastic surface better than the original uncompromized rubber coating and didn't even mess up the printed labeling.  Still have it.  It had gone totally sticky though, and would scrape off easily with a fingernail, so maybe that was a more advanced case of rubbercoating-gone-goo than the condition of your R09HR.  If Roland is no help in reparing it, find something else rubberized that has gone sticky and try it there first.

I will note that when I sent back my 1st R-09 with a broken input jack, Edirol repaired it out of warranty at no charge and also replaced the case at the same time which had been slightly scratched up.  Hopefully they will take care of you.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »
Maybe something like http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TECHSPRAY-1612-2SQ-/20-1890 .
Maybe, but I would like to be sure that this won't damage my device even more...

Thanks, anyway.

You can use masking tape to protect the rest of the recorder (aka only leave un-taped the damaged rubber parts) and then apply the spray. What do you think?

And Edirol/Roland has a great after-sale service as Gutbucket suggests, maybe they can replace the rubber parts or the whole case if you email them and ask for a solution. I had a complete repair (out of guarantee period) of a keyboard some months back for free. They acknowledged the device's strange behaviour was their fault and assumed all the repair fees (including shipping back and forth).
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:09 AM »
I just sent an email to Roland Brasil.

Let's see what they say.

Thanks.
Regards.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

Man i have had that problem twice..... one is 20 the other is now 18...  ;D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

Man i have had that problem twice..... one is 20 the other is now 18...  ;D

LOL  :facepalm:

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
There's this...  http://www.markertek.com/Chemicals-Cleaning-Supplies/Chemicals-and-Maintenance/Caig-Laboratories-Inc/RBR100L-2.xhtml?RBR100L-2

MSDS Here

I've not used the Caig variety myself since I still have a bottle of Tascam/Teac Rubber Cleaner that they used to sell for use on pinch rollers which I've also used on rubberized shuttle knobs that became sticky and it did help.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:23:59 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
I have an old Sony D3 DAT that has this issue on the little rubber bumpers on the edge of the unit.

Never really tried to clean it...but I might now.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
Hi!

My R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky. Probably, rubber particles are starting to dissolve. Is there any way of stopping dissolution, or to recover from this situation?

Thanks.
Best regards.

The exact same thing is happening to my unit. It's all sticky and gummy. Have you heard from Roland Brasil at all?
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
I have had some rubber/plastic items do this
Never been able to figure out out or clean it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Both natural and synthetic rubber (bio)degrade over time. You can clean off the degraded sticky stuff with ammonia or probably the Windex that has ammonia in it. Unfortunately once it starts degrading it will keep degrading.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I have a rubber case that covers my R05 that tore in 3 places. I wanted to repair the tears, but I couldn't find anything to adhere to it. I finally tried a bicycle tire tube patch, which worked great. It adheres to the rubber and gives it a non tacky finish. It also was very thin, so it didn't add any thickness to the case. I only needed three small pieces, but if I were to try an save my deck, I'd test a piece on the side or somewhere first, but assuming I liked the results, it probably wouldn't be too tough to buy a larger patch, cut to fit, and apply that as a new coating. It has an adhesive on one side and you peel and stick. Some of the other solutions would seem like they'd eventually ooze some sort of stickiness, the bicycle patch becomes part of the rubber, so it seems less likely to degrade over time.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Since posting a couple years ago, I've completely removed highly-degraded/sticky rubberized coatings from a few other pieces of gear using a rag, denatured alcohol and elbow-grease.  In each case, I ended up with a smooth, black, hard-plastic surface with a perfectly acceptable finish without any remaining rubberized coating.  I speculate that the extensive degradation of the coatings to the point where they had become quite soft/sticky may have actually made their removal easier than it may have been when in better condition with it better adhered. YMMV.

Offline jjazzfusion

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
I just sent an email to Roland Brasil.

Let's see what they say.

Thanks.
Regards.
Have you ever got a response from Roland? I just saw that apparently the R-09HR has been discontinued. Wonder if this issue had anything to do with their decision? I've owned mine since '09, kept ou it in a small Ziploc bag, without any problems, until about a year and a half ago. I think the reason it was designed this way, was to make it  slip-proof, and they way it is now, they did a pretty good job...lol

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
As I was cleaning out my closet I found my Edirol R09HR and it was a sticky mess.  I used Goo Gone, and the Goo is Gone.  With minimal effort I was able to wipe down the entire R09 and the rubbery stickyness is completely gone.

https://googone.com/products/original/
Occasionally....music mics record

mfrench

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
As I was cleaning out my closet I found my Edirol R09HR and it was a sticky mess.  I used Goo Gone, and the Goo is Gone.  With minimal effort I was able to wipe down the entire R09 and the rubbery stickyness is completely gone.

https://googone.com/products/original/

thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.458 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com