Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Most accurate headphone for monitoring?  (Read 8891 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Most accurate headphone for monitoring?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:05 PM »
I picked up a set of the ATH M50's for $99.  At that price they are hard to beat.  One thing I have noticed is that if using them exclusively to master a recording it usually sounds very "bassy" when played on the full size stereo system.

Is that because you are adding bass because they sound bass shy?
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »
audeze lcd2- would love to have these but pricey

how about the hifiman he500?  still expensive for me

i wasn't sure if the ortho's were good as monitors compared to standards like the sennheiser.

sennheiser hd600 vs hd650 . which one is more accurate?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:03:21 AM by weroflu »

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »
I can't comment on all the suggestions so far because I've never used them, but I can highly recommend Sony MDR-7520. These are excellent headphones for monitoring, they pick out the flaws in most recordings, and bass response is really good, not overblown or light, just accurate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:26:34 PM by yates7592 »

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »
I picked up a set of the ATH M50's for $99.  At that price they are hard to beat.  One thing I have noticed is that if using them exclusively to master a recording it usually sounds very "bassy" when played on the full size stereo system.

My experience has been the same with 7506s. Once you learn to hear the expected bass differences compared to monitors, it's easy to compensate using the cans.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline ravingandrooling

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »

The opposite.  I always seem to need to reduce bass in post. 
Mics:  CA14 (c,o,sc), AT943 (c/h)
Power: UBB x2, CA9100, CA9200
Recorder: Sony M10 x2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

I'm amazed you thought the 280s were "bass shy".  What were you amping them with? 

Compared to the ATH-M50 I think there is no contest... I find the 280s are a choice of lots of engineers for live monitoring because they reject a good bit of outside noise, but I thought they were really boomy and inaccurate at the low end, with too much LF emphasis.... The M50 in general seems more neutral in tone to me.

I like my Denon 7000s a lot for listening but as page said, you have to be mindful when mixing on them. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
audeze lcd2- would love to have these but pricey

how about the hifiman he500?  still expensive for me

i wasn't sure if the ortho's were good as monitors compared to standards like the sennheiser.

sennheiser hd600 vs hd650 . which one is more accurate?

I'd trust my work on the hd600s first before the 650s which seem to have an odd bump in the upper bass region. I at least knew what I was missing with the hd600s and could compensate, but the 650s threw me for a loop when I tried them at a meet once.

the hifiman series are excellent for detail (as all orthos seem to be due to their response), but they are much brighter.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
I choose the HD650 after listening to as many different phones as I could at a meet and finding it most balanced.  HD600 was on my audition list but unfortunately wasn't available.  I'd like to hear the difference in the two and have wondered if I'd prefer the 600s but was unwilling to buy a pair without getting a chance to try them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com