Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Third party JB3 firmware? - Can we do it?  (Read 3544 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Third party JB3 firmware? - Can we do it?
« on: April 11, 2005, 07:45:53 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of someone trying to program a custom version of the JB3 firmware?

I wonder if the current firmware takes adavantage of everything the parts/chips in the nomad can do.

One thing I'd put on the "wish list" - the ability to generate an MD5 on the JB3...so you can verify the file after USB transfer...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Third party JB3 firmware? - Can we do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:48:35 AM »
Without the source for the current software wouldn't you have to write the entire thing from scratch?  Seems like there'd be a ton of work involved and not a whole lot to gain.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

hexyjones

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »
Without the source for the current software wouldn't you have to write the entire thing from scratch?  Seems like there'd be a ton of work involved and not a whole lot to gain.

Perhaps...I dont know what language its written in - or the nature of such projects...

But it seems like there are legions of dudes who try to make linux run on anything that has a harddrive...just for fun...and there seems to a healthy PlayStation hacker scene...So I just wondered if we had any smarties out there who had thought of this before...

But - yeah - it would be nice if Creative would make the source code available...

I know there are SDKs for the Software end - but none that I'm aware of for the firmware...

We seem to have determined that the JB3 - for hardware reasons - cant keep up with a 96khz signal - but is the same true for 24 bits? Is it a hardware limitation or software...?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:29:28 PM »
i think the best place to start with this would be over on the nomad forums on nomadness.

it'd be sweet if it'd remember that i didn't want to record at 128mb/s mp3 everytime i went to the record screen.  think of how easy a fix that could be.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »
i think the best place to start with this would be over on the nomad forums on nomadness.

it'd be sweet if it'd remember that i didn't want to record at 128mb/s mp3 everytime i went to the record screen.  think of how easy a fix that could be.

But you could only "fix" that by editing the current source, which aint gonna happen unless Creative releases it (not friggin likely). ;)

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything like this happening.  It's a very niche market and there's really no demand for it even amongst JB3 owners.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »
yeah, i don't see it happening either.  but besides my clock constantly being wrong, thats the only thing i'd fix on the jb3.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

hexyjones

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 02:56:22 PM »
http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000217033681/

Granted this about Ipod - but damn, some people just wont give up!

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 03:08:02 PM »
one thing to take into consideration is the amount of people owning ipods vs. the amount of people owning jb3's.

everything/anything is possible.  someone just has to crack the code to see what this badboy can do.  however, it takes someone with a lot free time and the want to crack it.

the ps2 and xbox were hacked/modded because there was a big gain in return...free games for life.  the jb3 being hacked might not lead to a whole bunch.  maybe making it more taper friendly, but i can't see much else coming out of it.

just my bullshit opinion.  i feel ya tho dood, i think it'd be awesome if it was hacked too.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 03:17:33 PM »
And all that guy did was figure out the binary sequence of the bootloader, he still can't tell you the source of the OS. ;)

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 01:43:40 AM »
But you could only "fix" that by editing the current source, which aint gonna happen unless Creative releases it (not friggin likely). ;)

Creative has gone to pretty great lengths to make their boxes hacker unfriendly. On the newer players, they've even encrypted the firmware binary with a private key. Without the proper encryption it won't even load the software.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »

i second that one, doesnt seem like that unreasonable of a goal either...for some reason i seem to remember an older firmware did actually come up with the last setting but i may be wrong...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com