Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audiogon Users >> Feedback / Shipping Damage Question  (Read 2373 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Audiogon Users >> Feedback / Shipping Damage Question
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
I recently made my 1st transaction for a Rega P-1 from a longstanding a-gon member with lots of positive feedback.

When the turntable arrived this week it appeared it was inserted in the box upside down, im about 90% sure but wasn't really paying too close attention as i opened the box.

Once i removed the TT from the styrofoam and plastic it def was upside down and some oil had spilled on the table and the tonearm was moving around freely with the stylus cover free inside the package and the drive belt/rubber band loosely around the tonearm.  There was also a ball bearing roaming around free and the weight and base that fits into the motor were floating around freely.  It doesn't look like there is any significant damage aside from the ballbearing and belt floating around and the tonearm and stylu seem to be in good shape.

How easy is it to put the ballbearing and drive belt back together or is it something i need to have done by a professional?

When i contacted the seller he suggested I file a claim with USPS since it was insured, although I was later informed it was only insured for $250 and not the full replacement amount of the TT.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed with the seller and how i should leave appropriate feedback?

At this point I'm guessing i need to file the USPS claim and hopefully it won't cost much if anything to get the table back together.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Audiogon Users >> Feedback / Shipping Damage Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
Well it was his responsibility to ship the turntable safely. Turntables are very difficult to ship unless they are basically disassembled. Usually the arm is removed, the stylus & the platter. It seems like he didn't know or take the time to package the table properly. With all that being said I am sure Rega has PDF's on their site on how to set up the table. May be a quick easy fix? I would still dope slap the seller for not taking the care in shipping properly but hopefully you end up OK. As far as UPS is concerned, if there is a claim they want to see the shipping material & if they don't feel it is up to snuff they won't pay a penny. They tried to deny a claim when I had speakers shipped to me in the factory cartons last year!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:50 PM »
these are the instructions that I used to package up my rega when I sold mine:

http://www.sigsound.com/NU&DInfoPages/regapack.htm

in terms of what it will take to fix it, i would recommend contacting these guys:

http://www.soundorg.com/

they did my authorized repairs and they can probably give you a view...

Offline unclelouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:48 PM »
FYI, if UPS does decide to offer a refund for shipping damages, it'll go to the shipper, not the person who received the item. Hopefully, the seller will pass the refund over to you, but I once got screwed by a seller who kept insurance money from UPS. I don't know if audiogon has policy in placeto try and prevent the seller from stealing shipping insurance (I'm not sure it would even be possible to enforce), but Ebay sure as hell doesn't...
unclelouie.tapes_at_gmail.com

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
thanks for the referral to Steve Nick! i think i was able to reassemble everything per steves instructions over email - seems like everything is in good working order but we'll see as i play some more records soon

spinning band of gypsys now :)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »
spoke too soon :(

Side A played great and sounded fantastic - went to flip it over and now I cannot get the stylus to make contact with the record for the life of me.

the rega repair guy i spoke too said i'm better off getting a refund and buying a new table - really fucking sucks

so now i've got to try to get the seller to refund my money and return the table to him and find a new table.

i just got my stimulus check so I'm kinda tempted to upgrade a little more but not sure where to proceed - read lots of good things about the thorens tables but don't know which models to look for etc

really killed my day now - haven't been able to play any records for a few weeks

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
damn I am really sorry to hear that...if steve is telling you that he is probably right...the guy was spot on in my dealings with him

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com