Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone really use an Edirol R1?  (Read 6478 times)

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Does anyone really use an Edirol R1?
« on: May 21, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »
Well, do you? And what are your experiences. It looks cool (I´ve read all the reviews and all the material).

Gunnar

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Does anyone really use an Edirol R1?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 09:29:08 PM »
paging george wang

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 12:31:53 AM »
Have you tried a search, yet?  There's been some feedback already, though not loads of it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:22:28 AM »
I have pretty much ditched my DAT and have been using the R1 since January, have taped around 70 concerts with it, mostly at 24 bits but a few at 16 bits in order to avoid having to restart before two hours (2 GB file size limit).  I go line-in with a DPA MMA6000 preamp for DPA 4060 mics, so I have not tested the R1's preamp at all.  Happy to answer any specific questions if I can.  I get about 8-9 hours on a pair of lithium AA batteries, have used mostly 8 GB Sandisk CF card or 4 GB Lexar Pro 80X (the Edirol FAQ says this Lexar card won't work on batteries, but it certainly does on lithiums).  It would be a perfect 44.1 kH machine if it did automatic opening of a new file at the 2 GB limit, as the Sound Devices 722 does, or the R4 for that matter.  I have had to replace the menu knob on the top twice, as it is prone to falling off (but you can work the selections with your thumb if you need to).  The meters are crude, I have calibrated by trial and error, and the volume-in knob (uncalibrated) is too easy to accidentally move, I have taped it to max and do all level adjustment on the preamp.  I am convinced I am getting at least as good results with the R1 as with my Sony M1, though I don't hear any great improvement from the 24 bits.  In the cases where I set levels too low and had to boost in Wavelab and then dither back down to 16 bits for CD, there might be some advantage to 24 bits but I would guess that the electronics of the R1 are noisy enough not to allow much improvement, at least the posted specs don't look great.  The main advantage is no moving parts, it's much faster to turn over at the 2 GB limit than reloading a DAT, fewer things to go wrong (once you figure out the no-nos). 

Jeff

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:23:23 AM »
I have pretty much ditched my DAT and have been using the R1 since January, have taped around 70 concerts with it, mostly at 24 bits but a few at 16 bits in order to avoid having to restart before two hours (2 GB file size limit).

Ditto, although I've only been running since 4/30 have used it 7 times so far - the first time open taping and the last 6 stealth. One time I must've accidently not engaged the hold button while stealthing which caused an accidental stop of the recording when I must've hit the stop button. Twice I lost the ability to add anymore files to my 4GB CF card mid-show because I did not know at the time that it was "highly recommended" (required, now that I've learned the hard way) to re-format the CF card before every show. Glad to see that you've had those types of results since January, I'm ready to stop packing my dat now as well.

I go line-in with a DPA MMA6000 preamp for DPA 4060 mics, so I have not tested the R1's preamp at all.

I've only gone line-in with a 4022>sax setup. No need to test the preamp since I need the additional sax or phanom power module to power the mics anyway.

I get about 8-9 hours on a pair of lithium AA batteries

I've used lenmar 2350mAH rechargeables and the day I got the unit, ran the setup for about 5 hours before I stopped the test, the batteries were still powering the R-1 just fine when I stopped the test.

have used mostly 8 GB Sandisk CF card or 4 GB Lexar Pro 80X (the Edirol FAQ says this Lexar card won't work on batteries, but it certainly does on lithiums).

I'm using a Dane-Elec 4GB CF which is supposedly a repackaged Toshiba. It's doing the job just fine after 7 shows.

It would be a perfect 44.1 kH machine if it did automatic opening of a new file at the 2 GB limit, as the Sound Devices 722 does, or the R4 for that matter.

Without a doubt the biggest con of this unit. However, to stop recording file #1 and start file #2 while stealthing is a very quick procedure.
- de-engage the hold button
- hit stop
- hit rec once (put in standby mode)
- hit rec a second time (switch from standby to rec)
- re-engage the hold button

I have had to replace the menu knob on the top twice, as it is prone to falling off (but you can work the selections with your thumb if you need to).

I took the menu knob off the day I got it and can easily navigate the menu without it.

The meters are crude, I have calibrated by trial and error, and the volume-in knob (uncalibrated) is too easy to accidentally move, I have taped it to max and do all level adjustment on the preamp.

The 2nd worst con of the R-1, the level meter doesn't display stereo channels, just one level which doesn't show you Left and Right, just a combo of the levels. However, I haven't found it too bad to calibrate with. I tape the Sonosax levels down at minimum low ( +6dB) and then adjust the levels down from max on the R-1 until peaks are hitting the 2nd to highest level on the R-1 display. Once I have the levels about right I tape it down.

I am convinced I am getting at least as good results with the R1 as with my Sony M1, though I don't hear any great improvement from the 24 bits.  In the cases where I set levels too low and had to boost in Wavelab and then dither back down to 16 bits for CD, there might be some advantage to 24 bits but I would guess that the electronics of the R1 are noisy enough not to allow much improvement, at least the posted specs don't look great.

I haven't done any listening to the 24-bit sources yet. The first show I ran sax>r-1 and sax>tmod-sbm and found the r-1 source (recorded at 24/44 then dithered to 16/44 using wavelab apogee UV22HR) to sound slightly more detailed.

The main advantage is no moving parts, it's much faster to turn over at the 2 GB limit than reloading a DAT, fewer things to go wrong (once you figure out the no-nos). 

R-1 pros over tmod-sbm>dat
- stealthing a 24 bit source
- sounds at least as good as tmod-sbm>dat but less rig to deal with
- no transfers, just hook R-1 up to the usb and copy .wav files from R-1 to hard drive
- no tapes
- fewer batteries but at least the same runtime

tmod-sbm>dat pros over R-1
- ability to balance levels in Left and Right channels
- ability to see levels in Left and Right channels
- dat remote, no need to take unit out of hiding to view levels
- ability to turn on/off backlight while recording
- fewer steps before you leave home to go to the show (since I only have 1 4GB CF card, I have to copy the files from the CF to a computer and reformat the CF between shows)

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:10:05 AM »
I know it's old news and kind of bulky, but the JB3 gets the job done.

6 hours recording on 2 batteries
No discs to have to mess with ever
3 hour recording time before new file starts (takes 2 seconds to save and start new file)

HOWEVER, no 24 bit recording which is the reason people are opting for the R-1, correct?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 07:43:51 AM »

3 hour recording time before new file starts (takes 2 seconds to save and start new file)

HOWEVER, no 24 bit recording which is the reason people are opting for the R-1, correct?

r1 is also smaller than the JB3

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 03:33:34 PM »
i think before i bought one of these, i'd wait for the m-audio recorder to hit the streets.  especially if you're going to be wanting to use a digital in, which the r1 doesn't have.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 03:46:29 PM »
i think before i bought one of these, i'd wait for the m-audio recorder to hit the streets. especially if you're going to be wanting to use a digital in, which the r1 doesn't have.

when I was shopping for a recorder a few weeks back the earliest I could get an R1 was late June, this combined with the fixed 44.1 sample rate and the way the level meters are made up made me decided to hold off and wait on the maudio recorder

I really want 24/96 capabilities

also, afaik, no one is running the r1 line in for non-pa/non-rock shows.... I really don't see myself stealthing rock shows at all (all the rock bands I like allow taping), just acoustic and classical music and at this point no one knows how either of these units sound when run at high gain line in

by all user accounts the R1 seems to be a fine machine though and honestly if anyone had one in stock a few weeks back I'd probably own one...

at this point though I'm going to be an maudio guinea pig :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 11:43:36 PM »

at this point though I'm going to be an maudio guinea pig :)

me too bud!

i may even pick up an SBM1 and BEG todd to mod it cheaply so i can at least have a v3>modsbm1>jb3 16-bit tape if anything goes wrong w/ the v3>m-audio-recorder 24-bit setup

IMO, botched recordings are not acceptable in my world ;D 8)

when the bugs are all worked out w/ the m audio stuff(which i hope is better than the SD stuff has been since coming out w/ all of those wicked bugs), at least id have a 16-bit source and might even like the sbm1 there occassionally :)

since the m-audio recorder is that cheap supposedly too, i can afford an sbm1

id idealy like to run 480>148>v3 tho tim, i loved the time i ran that at deer creek last year, and the creek sounded like shit last year ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 09:42:02 AM »
Sorry to bump this, but I see that OADE ( http://www.oade.com/ ) has a package on their front page with the R1 and Schoeps mics but I don't dare to think about the price.

I also found out that a R1 shipped to me in Norway from Edirol's own webstore is about $500. But I'm not sure if I should go for this or the Microtrack (when all, or most of the bugs are sorted out) as the MT is cheaper. And for stealthing (as I plan to do the most) they both seem ok to crotch ;)

MoFo2

Offline hurleytom

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but I see that OADE ( http://www.oade.com/ ) has a package on their front page with the R1 and Schoeps mics but I don't dare to think about the price.

I also found out that a R1 shipped to me in Norway from Edirol's own webstore is about $500. But I'm not sure if I should go for this or the Microtrack (when all, or most of the bugs are sorted out) as the MT is cheaper. And for stealthing (as I plan to do the most) they both seem ok to crotch ;)

MoFo2
I hoping to buy an R-1 too soon (when i get money). Oade won't ship outside the US so you'll have to forget about oade mods. thomann.de are selling the R-1 for about €400/$480 inclusive of Irish VAT. I don't know if they ship to Norway (they ship to Sweden and Finland) but if they do it will likely be a good bit cheaper.

[edit]Actually, I just checked thomann and the Irish price has gone back up to €422[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:21:00 PM by hurleytom »

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »
if any of you euros (or other outlanders) need an assist with shipping, so long as you pay all fees and don't hold me responsible if something goes awry with shipping, i'll be glad to order from oade/whomever and then ship to you

PM me if you need help

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 09:17:08 PM »

Didn't you buy an Oade R1?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:47:13 AM »
Sure did.  It sounds damn nice.  The ADC is really nice and the unit is noise free.  NOt really sure how my Oade mod unit sounds when compared to the standard unit, but mine sounds nice.  The +6db mod I got also was a good idea since I was able to get great levels at a quiet venue, results are robust.  $530 shipped with 2nd day air, not bad.  Maybe in the future a new firmware will be introduced that has an auto file start when you hit the 2:12min limit, but that's definately enough time for MOST shows that aren't jam bands.  Actually the only band I've seen this year that have played that long are Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society.  So go for it!  When the MT2496 is bug free, I might pick one of those up to.  But for a stealth rig without an ADC this recorder works friggin sweet.

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 04:07:03 AM »
How about battery time? Oade claims "only" 2,5hrs...

MoFo2

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 04:09:46 AM »
I guess if you're a cheap ass or retarted you'd use regular batteries....but tapers should buy the expensive lithium ion batteries.  They get you somewhere around 8 hours of record time.  You just need to have enough flash media to tape that long with.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »
Evil Taper - there was mention in another thread or two, by WiFiJeff, about Lithium Ions made at the same plant in China as the expensive Energizer e^2 L-ion AAs. They're $20 + s/h for a 20-pack. I'll be picking up a batch of those soon.  ;D

if anyone's interested, i just picked up an R-1 from DJMart.com for $360 + shipping. as some people have mentioned before, Guitar Center will probably match it. PM me if you'd like me to email my email confrimation/receipt so that you can get a price match if applicable.

can't wait to test out the R-1!  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.298 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com