Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Think My Newer 722 AD Board Still Has Issues...  (Read 2772 times)

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Think My Newer 722 AD Board Still Has Issues...
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:52:18 PM »
Gotta hand it to the guys at Sound Devices, they managed to engineer a product that takes about 1min to disassemble and a fucking HOUR to put back together.  I've taken apart a lot of shit in my life but never have dealt with anything as frustrating as putting this case back on.  I seriously was beginning to think I was going to have to mail it to them, but I have some things to tape this week so I stuck with it.  To make it worse, I was just double checking the AD board b/c mine was missing the revision sticker even though the build date was supposedly past the line change on the boards.  Sure enough, they just forgot the revision sticker for the back, I really didn't need to take it apart.

To the point though, I'm not sure they've fixed the board issue.  I had some popping in one of my recordings this weekend...which is what prompted me to double check the board revision in the first place.  They're not real violent pops though like you would typically see w/ a DAT deck...softer.  And I have a small section that sounds like paper tearing.  It's a strange sound...not a typical digi-noise kind of error...more analog...and the waveform in that section appears more normal.  Not an angular spike or flat section like you see w/ digi errors.  Anyone else  have anything similar w/ an older board that was known to have issues?

Mitch 
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Think My Newer 722 AD Board Still Has Issues...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:03:35 PM »
i never had to get a new ad board and mine has not had any issues like that so far.

the only issues i had were firewire connection/transfer problems with my powerbook.  the latest firmware has seemed to rid me of those problems though.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »
What were you running in front of it? Maybe bad cable? Pre? Power related issue?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:38:18 PM »
My Oade m148 which has never been the source of any issues whatsoever. 

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »
Replaced my A/D a lilttle while back...  I have a very early serial # and have had ZERO issues with it..

However I do share your frustration in putting the thing back toghether... :-\

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »
Agreed on putting it back together. It really requires two people. Once you get the case aligned and snapped together, someone has to hold it while you screw it shut. I used my full weight on my knee to do this, but I should have just called a neighbor over. It took a freakin half hour or so to do!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 04:36:06 PM »
i stood on it to snap it back together.  that's when you know something's a tank :)

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 04:48:18 PM »
I did not stand on it but it was called a few choice words....  over and over again!!
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 10:22:27 AM »
I can go back and find the sections and post pics, but I really don't think you'll get much out of them.  It's a very analog "tearing" sound....not a pop or click.  It really sounds like tearing a piece of paper.  The wave appears normal.  It's not clipping, there is no spiking or squaring off of the waveform, etc.  I've listened to it several more times and I'm now not convinced it wasn't in the PA.  So far, I haven't seen the problem re-surface on any of my recordings.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 01:30:52 PM »
I can go back and find the sections and post pics, but I really don't think you'll get much out of them.  It's a very analog "tearing" sound....not a pop or click.  It really sounds like tearing a piece of paper.  The wave appears normal.  It's not clipping, there is no spiking or squaring off of the waveform, etc.  I've listened to it several more times and I'm now not convinced it wasn't in the PA.  So far, I haven't seen the problem re-surface on any of my recordings.

Have you reformatted the drive? Maybe it was heavily fragmented? I've noticed one or two spots like you mention in some other 722 tapes. Only about a half second or so in length though.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 11:25:37 PM »
Drive was freshly formatted and there was nothing on it.  Who knows.  So far, it hasn't happened again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com