Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-1 versus Sony walkman  (Read 1689 times)

Offline meteosat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R-1 versus Sony walkman
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:04:48 PM »
Hi,

This really is the best forum i have stumbled across in a long time - thanks to all!

I've been following the Roland v M-Track debate with great interest as I'm in the market to change from my Sony MZ N707 walkman. It is the pits trying to put it successfully into manual record mode - I've done a monaural recording instead of stereo, missed the strats of crucial concerts, and I never want to see a jog dial again!

However, when the recording did go OK it was superb linked to my trusty AT822 microphone.

What i am wondering is - if I went for the slightly cheaper (UK) R-1 instead of the marantz or M-Track - would the recording quality be as good if not better than the Sony - noise floor, dynamic range etc.

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers,
James

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Edirol R-1 versus Sony walkman
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 05:20:23 PM »
way better!   Sony MDs record in a compressed format (ATRAC), which compromises sound quality.  Further, its at 16bit.  With the R-1, you will be able to record at a higher bit rate (24bits) in an uncompressed format (.wav), and the analog to digital converters are of better quality than the MDs.

The R-1 would blow away an MD.   The jury is still out as to which of the other recorders you mentioned (Marantz, MT, or R1) would be the best, but really, they all have advantages depending on the situation.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline meteosat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:33:48 PM »
Thanks for that!

It's sounding good then - and no moving parts. presumably the S/NR is better as well. And operability looks so much easier. Mind you the Sony seemed to be kind to overloads with the meters really going off the scale before clipping became obvious. The default ALC pumping was intolerable on auto recording.

Thanks again,

James

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 10:11:22 PM »
Look into one of the moded Marantz PCM 660's over at www.oade.com. It'll knock your socks off!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com