Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix options? (jb3 vs. MD)  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Matrix options? (jb3 vs. MD)
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:10:18 PM »
I am going to run a matrix in a few weeks and want to get a plan down now.

I've got my regular aud rig and also going to be recording an analog SBD.

Should I use my JB3 with my AUD rig, or plug it into the board and use the MD for my AUD rig?

It probably doesn't make a difference, seeing that the 2 sources will be blended together.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Matrix options? (jb3 vs. MD)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:39:07 PM »
Which source so you intend to have dominant?  How is the soundboard/soundman at the venue?  How chatty will the crowd be?  I think most people tend to preference the sbd and use the aud source for ambience/presence/depth, unless the sbd source will be less-than-ideal.  I would think putting the best equipment on the source that's going to be favored would make sense.  I usually run the aud source 10-12 db lower than the sbd, if I like the board and the person operating it.  Depends on the circumstances, though, and ultimately what sounds best in post.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Matrix options? (jb3 vs. MD)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:13:52 AM »
Which source so you intend to have dominant?  How is the soundboard/soundman at the venue?  How chatty will the crowd be?  I think most people tend to preference the sbd and use the aud source for ambience/presence/depth, unless the sbd source will be less-than-ideal.  I would think putting the best equipment on the source that's going to be favored would make sense.  I usually run the aud source 10-12 db lower than the sbd, if I like the board and the person operating it.  Depends on the circumstances, though, and ultimately what sounds best in post.

Thanks for the help.  That makes alot of sense.  I haven't really done too many post-matrices, so I really don't know which source will be dominant.  I've never seen the room before, and am not familiar with the sound engineer (other than what I can hear on current recordings).

I'll probably run my MD from the board and my JB3 on my rig...if the board feed comes out badly, then I'll still have a good AUD to use.

+t.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com