Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol RO9: What are your experiences recording with it?  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol RO9: What are your experiences recording with it?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »
I recently got the new Marantz PMD 620 ;). But I still love my R-09. Never, ever let me down. ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Rocking Vicar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
Has anyone had the problem of a buzz when using the line-in? This only occurs when the unit is on mains power. As soon as I go back to battery power it stops.

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »
Has anyone had the problem of a buzz when using the line-in? This only occurs when the unit is on mains power. As soon as I go back to battery power it stops.

interesting... got a slight buzz on a soundboard recording i did on thursday... was using mains power... will look further into the matter... i hope this isn't true....

was so lucky actually... got the chance to kinda of mix the gig [never been engineer before - but have done 100's of gigs myself so know about sound] but i managed to get a awesome stereo recording with panning on the desk... best tape i ever pulled off the desk by far... 24bit/48kHz too...

anyhoo... let me know if you hear anything about the buzz or if you ever have the same trouble again.... very interesting topic...

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
I've had my R09 for nearly a year now, and I love it. The only problems I've had are due to my own cack-handed-ness. For example, my tendency to take the damn thing out of my pocket every 5 minutes has been known to result in flicking the lowcut filter on. That's a pain - although I guess it would be pretty easy to fix, now that I think about it.

Nice piece of kit - I've been considering buying another.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
my tendency to take the damn thing out of my pocket every 5 minutes has been known to result in flicking the lowcut filter on. That's a pain - although I guess it would be pretty easy to fix, now that I think about it..

I put a 1" square of gaffer tape over the switches on the back of both of mine.  Works a charm. 

I only wish I could sync the two with a USB cable (or 1/8" stereo cable like the new R-44).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my R-09.  I've done about 40-50 shows with it.  My only gripe is that the A2D lacks a bit of bass compared to my old PCM-M1 dat (or other A2Ds like the V3 or the 722).  I've only had a couple problems in all those shows, mostly related to the older firmware I believe.  I'll probably stick with it, but would like to see how it stacks against all the competitors coming out.  I just saw today that Olympus released a competitor that looks pretty nice (the LS-10).

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
my tendency to take the damn thing out of my pocket every 5 minutes has been known to result in flicking the lowcut filter on. That's a pain - although I guess it would be pretty easy to fix, now that I think about it..

I put a 1" square of gaffer tape over the switches on the back of both of mine.  Works a charm. 

I only wish I could sync the two with a USB cable (or 1/8" stereo cable like the new R-44).

Cool. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Would I be able to get the tape off easily without gunking up the back of the R09, though?

T+ for the class idea, btw.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

Cool. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Would I be able to get the tape off easily without gunking up the back of the R09, though?

T+ for the class idea, btw.

If you update to the latest firmware, there is a setting to disable the LED.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
...Cool. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Would I be able to get the tape off easily without gunking up the back of the R09, though?

Yep, just use a good grade of gaffer tape.  It's designed not to leave gunk.

If you update to the latest firmware, there is a setting to disable the LED.

There is, but I don't use it because it turns off the peak light too.  Instead, I use the recorder in the bodyglove case with the clear plastic window front and put another 1" square of gaffer tape on the window over the main control button.  I can still operate the transport buttons (pushing record in the center requires more localized fingernail pressure vs. a fat finger) but it completely obscures the red recording light when the recorder is in the case.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »

I just sort of assume you would get some buzz, so have never used my power adapter. All mains powered electronics gets some 50/60 Hz hum at some level somewhere.

R-09 + MixPre are all battery powered so I am happy.

I know this doesn't solve your problem. Can you post a sample?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »

I just sort of assume you would get some buzz, so have never used my power adapter. All mains powered electronics gets some 50/60 Hz hum at some level somewhere.

I haven't noticed hum using the power adapter for playback, but just to be safe, I've always recorded using the batteries even when near an outlet for the same reasons as digifish.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com