Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do with solo guitarist recording?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
what to do with solo guitarist recording?
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
ok, so I recorded my father-in-law on guitar this past weekend, just a few songs that he used to sing to my wife when she was little.

I set up one "vocal" mic and one mic for the acoustic guitar.
the left channel I set up as the guitar mic and the right channel was the vocal.
The vocal mic got almost no guitar, which is good.
the guitar mic was a pretty good mix of guitar and vocals.

Initially, I was thinking that I'd mix the two channels in post, but keep it panned a little bit for a faux-stereo mix.  but because the guitar channel picked up a fair amount of vocals, I'm thinking I'll just mix to mono.  or do you think I should try to create a stereo mix?  any thoughts?

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: what to do with solo guitarist recording?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »
Sometimes it can be hard to combine two tracks miked this way. There is gonna be bleed from each source into the other mic. So you can have some major phase issues when combining them. It is usually pretty crucial to monitor the two channels combined to mono while miking. That way you can hear the phase anomalies and position the mics to minimize it. You can normally find a happy medium to get the best sound without enough bleed to throw your phase out of whack. This may or may not be an issue. For mixdown I would suggest trying a stereo reverb on the mix. Something natural sounding. You'll likely mix down to almost mono. You can try panning the guitar a little off center. good luck.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:03:46 PM »
It may sound much better to use the mic getting both and paste this mono source direct to stereo channels, and then if voice could use a little 'effects' boost, mix some of the the vocal mic into that mono-to-stereo track for flavoring.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:17:30 AM »
Keep the vocal track dead-center and aux-send it to a stereo room reverb.  Dial the dryness/wetness of the reverb to where it blends in to sound louder than the vocals in the guitar-mic source, but not prominent over the main vocal track.

Double the guitar track.  Pan one hard left, one hard right.  Setup a reverb on an aux send and throw both guitar channels at it.  Gang the faders and mix to taste.

That should end up sounding pretty good... the vocals will originate at dead-center but have some reverb ambience at both +/- 45 degrees to fill out the mix, while your vocal bleed in the guitar track will fill out the entire stereo field.  And of course EQ each track if needed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:19:31 AM by kukyfrope »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com